• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

advice on antiquing brand new shoes.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get some cheap shoes for my first attempt at antiquing. I went down to Filenes Basement and found these italian-made, leather-soled Hugo Boss ankle boots. With a coupon from the paper, they clocked in at $49.99, which seemed like a perfectly ideal price to pay: I like the styling, so with some color-work, they should be pretty cool. If I catastrophically botch the job, they're $50 Hugo Bosses, so I won't be crying myself to sleep.

here's my question though: I remember that when J (at least I think it was J) did his radical overhaul on brown Ct chelseas, he used acetone first and foremost before applying any colors. Should I do something like this, to strip the factory finish off the leather, before I go at it with variously colored polish? If so, what do you recommend I use? Would saddle soap get the job done?

Thanks.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's no harm in starting with something mild before moving on to more invasive options, except in lost time.

gj555

Reaction score
I tried antiquing over existing finish and it didn't work. Then I tried rubbing alcohol to remove the finish and that worked but was far too much effort just to get 1/4 of the shoe done. Then, I was going to use acetone but decided to pay a cobler to do the acetone strip for me. It saved me a lot of effort but cost me a few bucks.

So, if you don't think you can strip it, pay for someone to do it for you.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Then, I was going to use acetone but decided to pay a cobler to do the acetone strip for me. It saved me a lot of effort but cost me a few bucks.

how much did this run you?

neyus

Reaction score
I quite like those boots. for $50.00 you cant go wrong.

I wouldnt be afraid of using acetone on those. Best results seem to be had with a little on cotton wool.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
how much did this run you?
Yes, is antiquing typically something one can hire a cobbler to perform?

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some british tan polos from GVH that I first applied brown cream to, buffed off, then brown paste, buffed off, then saddle soap. they are a nice warm brown now. I figure if I polish them with saddle soap and alternate with cordovan or black polish, I can get them nice and chocolate brown,

I am leery of using acetone or other chemicals.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Yes, is antiquing typically something one can hire a cobbler to perform?

maybe, but where's the sport in that? I'd like the practise customizing my coloration.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
I first applied brown cream to, buffed off, then brown paste, buffed off, then saddle soap. .

saddle soap last? May I ask, what was the reasoning behind that? I would have though saddle soap would undo your previous polish & wax work (unless I'm mistaken as to saddle soap's function)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think acetone will really hurt anything, and it does seem to help whatever you apply next to adhere better. It's kind of a trial and error process though, since it's hard to tell what the various things you might try will do to that specific type of leather/finish.

If you want to go easier on them to start, try polish or cream first, and if it doesn't work like you wanted, acetone will take that off too.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
saddle soap last? May I ask, what was the reasoning behind that? I would have though saddle soap would undo your previous polish & wax work (unless I'm mistaken as to saddle soap's function)

just the order I came up with. the saddle soap definitely added a luster at the end

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I like the boots, especially at that price. Change the lacing to straight.
I know! I really love 'em... a kind of countrified cap-toe bal in boot form. I may be flattering my FB rummaging skills, but the look pretty high-end to me. I do intend to relace them.

MrRogers

Reaction score
Contact Josepidal...hes our resident antiquing expert.

Seriously though, your goal should be a subtle change in color around the toe and heel. Go with multiple layers of slightly tinted wax and don't try to accomplish this process in a day or two. IMO antiqued shoes never look authentic unless done professionally but you are going about it the right way by using cheap shoes for your first trial. Be sure to post pics of how they are coming along

MrR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads