• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventures in sobriety

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I had a glass of wine with dinner tonight, being Valentine's Day and all that, and holy cow it hit me like a ton of bricks. Okay, just one brick but still I decided that was it for the night.

the upside: dnurk poasting will involve a LOT less liver damage than before. if I revive that old, tired meme.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: Been three months now and I have only had a few drinks. One night I fell off the wagon hard (and enjoyed the hell out of it) and around 4 times to have a single drink. Hasn't been too hard actually so I plan to keep it up for the long term. At least I have broken the habit of cracking open a drink as soon as I come home from work.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
fistbump.gif

( I considered :cheers but thought that awkward)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
cheers.gif

LAWL. I found a banana bread beer last night on clearance at the local grocery when I was pulling supplies for Mrs. T's birthday dinner (which is tonight). Gave it a go, drank half and decided that was enough. Decent enough, though.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you alcoholics.

too bad you don't have the asian curse like me, i get red after a shot.

it's quite the deterrent.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
So I had a glass of wine with dinner tonight, being Valentine's Day and all that, and holy cow it hit me like a ton of bricks. Okay, just one brick but still I decided that was it for the night.

the upside: dnurk poasting will involve a LOT less liver damage than before. if I revive that old, tired meme.

Possibly dumb question: Is alcohol tolerance strictly a mental phenomenon, or does the body become tolerant to the effects of alcohol as well?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Going to cut back on the spirits and might even cut back on the wine. I've just been enjoying the whisky a bit too much lately and need to moderate before I start putting pounds back on. Of course, when you get a few glasses of wine and a pint or more of whisky into you, you start to get the munchies. This is bad as I've been raiding the wife's stash of salty carb snacks which I can resist without all the whisky on board.

I'm not worried that I'm an alcoholic or the like as I've known too many real alcoholics to confuse the issue. However, I do need to cut things back for my waistline.

Yeah, I saw a photo of myself shirtless last year and I was paunchier than I realized. I'm going to hold back on the beer this summer for similar reasons.

Originally Posted by ramuman
I've felt stressed out recently and using alcohol as an excuse to soften those feelings - which meant I was drinking for the sole purpose of getting tipsy or drunk. That seems to me like an early sign of alcoholism and that's a really scary thought. I'm not giving up alcohol completely, but will likely just stick to wine and beer and do so in much greater moderation.

That's another thing, I've never been "driven to drink". Though it's the premise of countless country songs, stressors in my life don't drive me to drink, and alcohol doesn't provide much of a reprieve anyway-- if anything, it might make me more ruminative. It's only when I've just cleared some **** out of my life that I might feel that going out and drinking is something I'd really enjoy.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
I'm not getting drunk for 2 weeks. After 2-3 weeks of almost drunk everyday and a conversation with 2 different people about a drinking problem, I'm demonstrating I don't have a problem. It sucks
frown.gif

You can quit anytime you want...
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by socialdtk
I'm 21 and living in North Carolina. I plan on beating the charge if possible but it doesn't seem likely that I will. The lawyers I've talked to so far have said I have between a 10% and 40% chance of winning. That makes the $2000+ fee for fighting the case not very appealing.

Look into "Judicial Diversion" !!

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Possibly dumb question: Is alcohol tolerance strictly a mental phenomenon, or does the body become tolerant to the effects of alcohol as well?

not sure how it works but in my experience the body does become more tolerant to alcohol. Albeit with one caveat, the alcohol isnt processed faster through the liver but the effects of it on your ability to function do become less as you drink more (frequently). Which brings about the danger that you might feel nothing from the drinks you've had, but you will fail an alcohol driving test.

Also, because you do not feel as much from it you dont get sick as fast. Which in turn can lead to even more intake during nights out. And as the liver processes the stuff in a pretty much linear fashion it can take a long time for it to be completely out of your system. Personally there have been days were I probably still wasnt allowed to drive around noon, fortunately my university days are behind me and this type of drinking doesnt happen anymore. allthough im cutting back still..

just my experience, as i have no medical knowledge whatsoever.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good work Alter. I really slow down my drinking for the past 3 months. I got really big over the past year or so. So instead a glass of scotch/bourbon every night, tasting on Thursday, and few cocktails on the weekend. I would have a drink maybe once a week now. I lost a good bit of weight so far and save a bunch of money. It does get tempting when I have all these bottles chilling in my cabinet.
Originally Posted by blazingazn
you alcoholics. too bad you don't have the asian curse like me, i get red after a shot. it's quite the deterrent.
rofl I hear ya... I'm Asian too and I do get red after couple cocktails.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've been testing out sobriety for a couple weeks now, though I have days where I fall off and have two beers or something. It's quite less than the six pack I'd normally drink, so I'm heading somewhere I guess. I can get to sleep without a drink now, so that is a start.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sucks to be you guys. Just spent the past week partying it up in Europe and have the bruised credit card statement to show for it.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I've been testing out sobriety for a couple weeks now, though I have days where I fall off and have two beers or something. It's quite less than the six pack I'd normally drink, so I'm heading somewhere I guess. I can get to sleep without a drink now, so that is a start.

Nice! Keep it up. You will enjoy the rare scotches even more if you don't drink so regularly.

Originally Posted by Jodum5
Sucks to be you guys. Just spent the past week partying it up in Europe and have the bruised credit card statement to show for it.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads