or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2535

post #38011 of 99203
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

#8 Captoe, Modified Last, All Eyelets
IMG_7895.jpg

Would like to see some top views of this shoe. Are all your shoes (next post) on the modified last? Did you have to size down for the mod. last? Thanks.
post #38012 of 99203
25kqx6s.jpg
#8 wt
argyles otc
2hnrm89.jpg
post #38013 of 99203
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

#8 Captoe, Modified Last, All Eyelets
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

Some Alden Christmas cheer:
 

Nice to see some well worn Aldens!  I think there needs to be more pictures in this thread of Aldens that don't look like they are on their first wearing fresh out of the box. Something more along the lines of Simon Crompton's series of posts about "How Great Things Age" on Permanent Style.  nod[1].gif

post #38014 of 99203
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Nice to see some well worn Aldens!  I think there needs to be more pictures in this thread of Aldens that don't look like they are on their first wearing fresh out of the box. Something more along the lines of Simon Crompton's series of posts about "How Great Things Age" on Permanent Style.  nod%5B1%5D.gif

the hole in your assumption is that if shoes are properly taken care of, they should look like they just came out of the box.
2hnrm89.jpg
these wt maybe older then you
post #38015 of 99203
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

Some Alden Christmas cheer:
IMG_1647.jpg
IMG_1588.jpg
IMG_1560.jpg
IMG_1452-1.jpg
-2-1.jpg
-33.jpg
-20.jpg
photo-13-1.jpg

NYR, looking great! I'm being nit picky here, but edge trim dressing is your friend. smile.gif
post #38016 of 99203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

25kqx6s.jpg
#8 wt
argyles otc
2hnrm89.jpg

Nice to see balmorals posted, looking great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacke View Post





I'm going to have to step it up in the sock department if I'm going to be wearing these shoes.

Looking good & welcome to the forum. Try Alex, top notch.

http://www.customshirt1.com/
post #38017 of 99203
E3D69224-AFFF-4C3C-A660-8E38F7968BE6-230-0000006353A3BAAB.jpg
c8e6f448d5064ca9dee7220848426e50.jpg
aa0ae30bf383ae953bbd271c9a2acfce.jpg

Leffot x Alden NST (Tanker)
post #38018 of 99203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


welcome!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

Actually chromexel is a tanning process or "recipe."  They make chromexel out of several leathers including calf, full cow, and horse. 

That's good to know, sounds like and arduous process. I'd like to try a pair made of this material one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

E3D69224-AFFF-4C3C-A660-8E38F7968BE6-230-0000006353A3BAAB.jpg
c8e6f448d5064ca9dee7220848426e50.jpg
aa0ae30bf383ae953bbd271c9a2acfce.jpg
Leffot x Alden NST (Tanker)

Beautiful.

post #38019 of 99203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


the hole in your assumption is that if shoes are properly taken care of, they should look like they just came out of the box.
2hnrm89.jpg
these wt maybe older then you

 

I was waiting for someone to argue that point.satisfied.gif  What you say is correct to a degree, and I am in no way advocating neglect of shoes.  However, shoes age just like everything else and the beauty of high quality shoes is that the older they get, the more character they have.  The phrase frequently found in these forums is that "they get better with age."  If this is true (and I believe that it is), then the notion that they should look like they just came out of the box contradicts this.  Using your logic, new shoes and aged shoes that have had impeccable care should look nearly similar.  If they look better with age, then what is it that looks better about them if they look like they just came out of the box?  Your shoes look fantastic, but I can't say if they are older than me unless you tell me how old they are.  Without that vital piece of information your comment sounds more like a condescending pat on the head.  I'm not offended here, so please don't misunderstand me.  Shoe character is a subjective topic.       

post #38020 of 99203
I prefer old shoes that look new to old shoes that look old. Old shoes, well taken care of, will have a tendency to look new - and that is precisiely the point in taking care of them well. Just one man's opinion ....
post #38021 of 99203
Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic, but I wanted to document the maiden voyage of my ravello PTBs. Indoor only for now to break in the sole a bit. They are a little darker in person than in the picture.


Edited by Papa Doble - 11/27/12 at 7:45am
post #38022 of 99203
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam View Post

Hey guys, I got a question about J.Crew longwing blutchers in #8. It says they come with a crepe sole. How is that shoe? I was thinking of ordering some until I noticed it doesn't come with a leather sole. Now I'm leaning towards the waxed version. Any suggestions? I have been primarily looking at J.Crew since I have a gift card there right now I could burn.
What are your other favorites at J.Crew? I have the captoe in #8 and some Indy's. Looking for a 3rd pair.

Don't get anything with a crepe sole unless your intent is to wear it 100% of the time in casual settings.
post #38023 of 99203

In the shell Long Wing I wear a size 13 D, but in the tassel loafer, like the 664 model in both shell and calf, I wear a size 14 D. In the suede and cordovan loafers that I've posted, I wear a size 13 E, then have so consistently for over the past twenty years. Alden has been pretty consistent for me over the years, and I have no complaints in regard to quality, and basically these are the Alden shoes that look best on me.

 

However, I am completely ticked off that they don't make the joints that are shown from Alden Of Carmel, in my size range. I've called, and the dude on the other end of the line will say, nope they don't come in that size!

 

I am so jealous of you micro foot mofo's on here showing such hipness......congrats!


Edited by Eleganza - 11/27/12 at 7:45am
post #38024 of 99203

Just picked up a pair of Cigar LHS from the 9.5D ShoeMart irreg list

post #38025 of 99203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

the hole in your assumption is that if shoes are properly taken care of, they should look like they just came out of the box.
these wt maybe older then you

I'm sure you take care of your shoes as well as anybody does, but given the 50?100?200? pairs of you have, your 20+ YO wingtips might have been worn literally as many times as my 2 year old boots.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***