or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 846  

post #12676 of 122416
Finally some sunshine, albeit still cool. Made me want to wear suede today

post #12677 of 122416
Random question -- what are people's thoughts on shell boots for dancing? I'm going to a wedding tomorrow, and was considering wearing some ravello wingtip boots. Thoughts? Will the shell be OK?
post #12678 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
Random question -- what are people's thoughts on shell boots for dancing? I'm going to a wedding tomorrow, and was considering wearing some ravello wingtip boots. Thoughts? Will the shell be OK?

Depends on the last - Barrie? NFW Plaza? Good
post #12679 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
Random question -- what are people's thoughts on shell boots for dancing? I'm going to a wedding tomorrow, and was considering wearing some ravello wingtip boots. Thoughts? Will the shell be OK?

As opposed to what?
post #12680 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Just curious to know if anyone here owns shoes of a higher quality than Alden? Perhaps EG? If so, how does the quality compare? Some of the MC folks stated that the difference is quite noticeable, but I would like to know if anyone here personally has any inputs.

You don't need to go to the EG level to find quality higher than Alden. My C&J shells are nicer than my Alden shells.
post #12681 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post
You don't need to go to the EG level to find quality higher than Alden. My C&J shells are nicer than my Alden shells.

I will most likely try CJ soon. I thought about Tricker's, but upon trying on a pair...that was just not my thing. EG is too MC for me. I don't like the overall last/appeal.
post #12682 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
I will most likely try CJ soon. I thought about Tricker's, but upon trying on a pair...that was just not my thing. EG is too MC for me. I don't like the overall last/appeal.

I enjoy my C&J shells on the 325 last very much. I would suggest you take a look.
post #12683 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


ravello lwb
argyles otc

this made me want to order a pair right now
post #12684 of 122416
I posted this is WTB, but if anyone has a pair of plaza wingtip boots in black in size 10D that they want to part with, let me know.
post #12685 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGold View Post
Finally some nice spring weather for whiskey:
Outstanding Chris! The NST looks great in whiskey.
post #12686 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyCanuck View Post
So, I decided to get a pair of boots.
Thanks to LS for their help, what a great bunch of guys over there.

My fist pair of Alden boots, hopefully not my last.







and as you can see, the dog approves of these

Nice purchase! Are these the 403 CXL Indy's?
post #12687 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Just curious to know if anyone here owns shoes of a higher quality than Alden? Perhaps EG? If so, how does the quality compare? Some of the MC folks stated that the difference is quite noticeable, but I would like to know if anyone here personally has any inputs.

The biggest difference I notice between my EG's and Aldens is in the stitching. EG uses more stitches per inch and is finished a lot cleaner (no loose ends). FYI, I have a pair of vintage shell Florsheim imperials that have nicer stiching than on my C&J's or my Alden shells.
post #12688 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevk View Post
The biggest difference I notice between my EG's and Aldens is in the stitching. EG uses more stitches per inch and is finished a lot cleaner (no loose ends). FYI, I have a pair of vintage shell Florsheim imperials that have nicer stiching than on my C&J's or my Alden shells.

EG: More stitches that are more accurately placed; better quality leather (shell aside); sleeker lasts; better sole, edge and heel treatment; classically British designs; lousy customer service, redonculous MTO upcharge and limited availability in the US.

Alden: classic Americana; sloppy welt stitching; good mid-level leathers (shell aside); broad availability; long ass wait times for MTO and special orders; wide range of lasts available; significant QA issues appearing more and more frequently.

The upper end of Alden's pricing is converging on the lower end of EG's.

A better comparison for Alden is probably Vass - again, the upper end of Alden's prices are pretty close to the lower end of Vass', and Vass is lightyears ahead of Alden with respect to quality.
post #12689 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post
A better comparison for Alden is probably Vass - again, the upper end of Alden's prices are pretty close to the lower end of Vass', and Vass is lightyears ahead of Alden with respect to quality.

I agree with this, but Vass has absolutely zero distribution channel in the US. I'd love to get a pair, but I simply can't "guess and buy" shoes for my hard to fit feet.
post #12690 of 122416
I just listed a bunch of alden shells for sale here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=4418245 Hope I am not spamming the thread with this. If anyone is interested, please PM me. I have a bunch of other aldens (PTBs, LWBs and indys) that I will be listing later today.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.