• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help on 'Casual Elegant' dress code

joemann

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I need help with a Dom Perignon event coming up. This is the first time I've encountered a Casual Elegant dress code, so I'm kinda in the dark here. A lot of googling turned up even more confusion, because different websites have different views. Does one wear a blazer? Does the shirt need to be tucked in? I know I'll need a good quality shirt, any brand suggestions?
confused.gif

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Casual elegant means, "Don't come to this party dressed as if you were going to mow a lawn." Which is advice that lots of people need.

If I were you, I'd show up in a OCBD, knit tie, blazer, wool trousers, and some cool derbies.

Prince

Reaction score
hugh-hefner-plastic-surgery.jpg

How about a Hugh?
wink.gif

On a serious note though. Like bigbjorn says I think it is more to turn people away from showing up in jeans and a t-shirt. So I'd say wear a dress pants, shirt sans tie and a sportscoat or something.

joemann

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Thanks for your responses. Since bigbjorn suggests to wear a knit tie and Prince suggests otherwise, I can pretty much gather that the Casual Elegant dress code is pretty much up to the person's own tastes and perception, just as long as they don't show up in jeans and a t-shirt.

Other websites also state not to wear a sports coat or blazer when attending such events. Anyway, I'll just follow a mix of bigbjorn and prince's suggestion. I'll wear a two-button sports coat without tie. Is linen acceptable?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joemann
Other websites also state not to wear a sports coat or blazer when attending such events. Anyway, I'll just follow a mix of bigbjorn and prince's suggestion. I'll wear a two-button sports coat without tie. Is linen acceptable?

Depends. Will you be wearing a shirt and trousers as well, or just the two button jacket?

- B

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Depends. Will you be wearing a shirt and trousers as well, or just the two button jacket?

- B

Just a two button jacket and socks is a perfectly acceptable look, thank you very much.

Have you *seen* some of the Appreciation that's been coming out lately?!

joemann

Reaction score
LOL, I'm sure that'll make an impression.

I think I've got a fair idea on what Casual Elegant means. Basically, look classy without trying too hard. Thanks guys, really appreciate all the help. Oh, and I'll give the linen a pass. Won't want to look all wrinkled and unkempt during the event.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics