or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 388

post #5806 of 17882

Ugh, I don't know what to tell you, then, @Neo1. That friggen' work boot was the one thing to break me. My hikers at the time were similar, but not steel toe and the leather stiffener, and I wore those through 6 years and a resole.

 

I don't suppose you're willing to spend an afternoon hiking up to you knees in a creek.  That's how we used to break in leather hiking boots, back in the days before everyone went to the lightweight hiking shoes everyone uses now.

 

Seriously, I have good advice. Those sound way too hard to break in for my standards.

post #5807 of 17882
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyhoatie View Post
 

One thing I've noticed recently is that more and more guys are wearing black leather shoes with a natural welt. Now, as stated above, I love the look of a natural welt with navy. Heck, I love it with pretty much every color under the sun, but I think it looks odd with black. From a wardrobe standpoint, black can be tough to pull off, and I feel like the natural welt makes it even harder to do so. Am I in the minority here? Are any of you sporting some natural on black? It's OK if you are. Just wondering.

 

Personally, I prefer a chili welt to a natural welt with the navy cordovan. I think those colors work especially beautifully with the navy shell because the shell will lighten over time. Both chili and natural, to me, would be preferable to a black welt with navy shell.

 

I'm not such a fan of a natural or chili welt with black calf. I'm just not sure what kind of outfit I'd wear them with that I'd prefer a black shoe over a shoe of another color.

post #5808 of 17882
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2511 View Post
 

 

Are those the Cooke Bit Choc Suede/Dainite on shoebank?

No, they're the ones AE makes for Brooks Brothers that were just on sale for $149.

post #5809 of 17882
Brown shell Strands today, it's been a while since I've broken these out and I need to find reasons to wear them more.






I hope everyone is having a great week, as always!
post #5810 of 17882
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD1 View Post
 

No, they're the ones AE makes for Brooks Brothers that were just on sale for $149.

 

Oh those look substantially darker than the ones I received from BB a few weeks ago. I ended up returning mine to BB because they didn't quite fit.

post #5811 of 17882

My current favorite AE shoes (1 is best, 7 is least favorite)

 

1. Lasalle - chili

2. Carlyle - bourbon

3. Clark Street - chromexel

4. Leeds - black

5. Malone - brown

6. Ashton - chili

7. Wilbert - brown

post #5812 of 17882

Wearing khaki (grain) McTavishes at the grave of Hal Roach Studios (in Culver City CA).

post #5813 of 17882

Does anyone have a problem with boots rubbing their shins wrong?  I have a pair of First Avenues that seem to fit my foot, but just rub me wrong on my shin and causes discomfort. Seems like a lot of people say these boots are comfortable without break-in, but doesn't seem to be the case for me. Am I just being a pansy? lol. I can't see how wearing a different size would affect my shin that much.

post #5814 of 17882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose22 View Post
 

Ugh, I don't know what to tell you, then, @Neo1. That friggen' work boot was the one thing to break me. My hikers at the time were similar, but not steel toe and the leather stiffener, and I wore those through 6 years and a resole.

 

I don't suppose you're willing to spend an afternoon hiking up to you knees in a creek.  That's how we used to break in leather hiking boots, back in the days before everyone went to the lightweight hiking shoes everyone uses now.

 

Seriously, I have good advice. Those sound way too hard to break in for my standards.

After examining these things some more now I think I know what's going on.  They built in some cheap crap ankle collar, which feels like hard plastic.  The transition from the collar back to the leather of the remainder of the heel is what kills the shoes.  The collar is totally stiff & rigid, so because of wear your ankle falls in, the leather caves in and collapses, digging into my ankle bone.  If they had just kept the whole thing leather, or even covered the entire heel with the plastic it probably would have been ok, but it's that transition that causes the problem.  Yeah, the tongue pad thing sounded pretty out there - he wanted to lift up the insole and put the pad underneath it, to try to get my ankles elevated and away from the sides.  Don't ask me - didn't sound promising.  We'll see what happens.

 

Appreciate the feedback from everyone, thanks.

post #5815 of 17882
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtitus View Post
 

Does anyone have a problem with boots rubbing their shins wrong?  I have a pair of First Avenues that seem to fit my foot, but just rub me wrong on my shin and causes discomfort. Seems like a lot of people say these boots are comfortable without break-in, but doesn't seem to be the case for me. Am I just being a pansy? lol. I can't see how wearing a different size would affect my shin that much.


Crazy timing on this comment, lol....

post #5816 of 17882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post
 

My current favorite AE shoes (1 is best, 7 is least favorite)

 

1. Lasalle - chili

2. Carlyle - bourbon

3. Clark Street - chromexel

4. Leeds - black

5. Malone - brown

6. Ashton - chili

7. Wilbert - brown


My current favorite shoes (I have to look at my sig to even remember what I have at this point...)

1. Player 1.0

2. Aberdeen

3. Lucca

4. Overlord

5. McTavish

6. Jefferson

7. San Marco

8. Normandy

9. Norwich

10. Knightsbridge

post #5817 of 17882
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtitus View Post
 

Does anyone have a problem with boots rubbing their shins wrong?  I have a pair of First Avenues that seem to fit my foot, but just rub me wrong on my shin and causes discomfort. Seems like a lot of people say these boots are comfortable without break-in, but doesn't seem to be the case for me. Am I just being a pansy? lol. I can't see how wearing a different size would affect my shin that much.


Sorry - didn't want to be a jerk.  I don't have the first aves (Sauk Drive was enough for me).  Only pair I had that shin thing with was my Nocona cowboy boots.  The shaft was really stiff out of the box and they didn't flex easily.  After some wear, they slashed through my shins bad enough that they bled - looked like I had been beaten by a whip.  After I got through that, no more issues - the things are amazing.

post #5818 of 17882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post
 

My current favorite AE shoes (1 is best, 7 is least favorite)

 

1. Lasalle - chili

2. Carlyle - bourbon

3. Clark Street - chromexel

4. Leeds - black

5. Malone - brown

6. Ashton - chili

7. Wilbert - brown

 

My meager rotation:

 

1. McTavish - cognac

2. Strand - oxblood

3. Long Branch - CXL

4. Normandy - brown

5. Gobi - tan saddle

6. Park Avenue - black
7. Darmstadt - brown (only AE I kind of regret buying)

Once I get some funds together, and with a kid nearing braces that won't be any time soon, here's my list of what I'm planning on adding:

 

Something walnut - Dalton and Cornwallis are the leading contenders

 

Something shell - probably Brown Strands, but maybe something at a trunk sale

Something in brown calf - Cornwallis and MacNeil are contenders

Something in navy - I keep eyeing the Neumok. If it ever gets to a crazy good Shoebank price, I'll jump on it

post #5819 of 17882
With a forecast that looked dry, it looked like a good day for the suede Strands.
post #5820 of 17882
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

With a forecast that looked dry, it looked like a good day for the suede Strands.

 

I like these a lot and I hope they bring some new suede offerings in the fall. Not a huge fan of the current suede lace-up offerings directly from AE and shoebank doesn't have my size in older suedes I do like. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc