Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicFashiontagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 0 10 Blazertagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 10 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Suittagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - 19CM STRETCH VISCOSE WOOL BLEND TROUSERStagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - BRASS SPOON NECKLACEtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - CLASSIC WOOL MARTINI JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - DOUBLE COLLAR TROPICAL WOOL JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15More
- itemMargiela 11 double ring belt SS12tagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMargiela Sandalstagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicMensweartagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 7:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- Random fashion thoughts Last post on 5/17/15 at 12:13pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Finding affordable menswear? (chicago) Last post on 3/20/16 at 8:21am in Classic Menswear
- Menswear Shop Refusing to Tailor "Outside" Clothing | Experiences or Advice? Last post on 1/11/16 at 8:49am in Classic Menswear
- Modern Raw Denim Jacket Last post on 2/2/16 at 11:22am in Streetwear and Denim
How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?
Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- What are denim "slub"? What is selvedge? Common denim...Last edited: 3/23/16
- I accidentally spilled a drop of fish oil onto a pair of boots....Last edited: 1/29/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 592post #8866 of 170904/3/16 at 8:34pmpost #8867 of 170904/3/16 at 8:40pmpost #8868 of 170904/3/16 at 9:58pmpost #8869 of 170904/3/16 at 10:16pmpost #8870 of 170904/3/16 at 10:17pmpost #8871 of 170904/3/16 at 10:29pmThread StarterQuote:Like Fok's all indigo everything + vis would have easily fit into a trend during the raw denim days, but he still does it now and was doing it before then. So did you feel awkward as fuck when everybody else was dressing like you (in a sense) Fok?
I can only answer for myself. I have no issue at all incorporating trendy items into my uniform, and allowing my uniform to evolve, so, I guess that, no, I never felt awkward when people dressed like me, or when I dressed somewhat like a lot of other people.
I like heavy leather, and I like denim, I like boots and busted up sneakers and I like looking like what I imagine a drifter in my image of route 66 might look like. I live in my own little world.
It should be noted that I look at instagram feeds and lookbooks and editorials nearly completely out of professional interests - I am interested in what is out there, what images are being create, and being fed to people, and because I no longer live near a major metropolis, I need to see what is going on. However, I don't personally follow any instagrams, tumblrs, whatever. I am completely bored by fashion blogs. I would much rather browse Yoox, with their shit styling. In fact, I prefer the shit styling, because that allows me to reimagine what a specific piece could look like. I like Greg's store for a slightly different, but related, reason. It is curiously incongruent, so I never get trapped into a specific look by over curation.
Put it this way - I am horrible at anagrams. If I am given the word "cinema", I will never be able to shake it to make the word "iceman". I think that most people, myself included, are the same with fashion. It's really hard to shake a specific image once it embeds into your mind, even when you have a lot of training/background. Which is why I generally find the most delightful things being worn by people who care about fashion, but who live in the middle of nowhere, where their environments don't force them into very specific boxes. It's typically much less polished, but it is, at least to me, much more interesting and likeable. When I moved here, I met a girl, a dance major, who dressed like a very typical "hipster" circa 2007 (because that's when I moved here.) She looked a lot like a lot of other denim era hipster girls in LA or Boston, or NYC, except that she wore a lot of Ed Hardy tees in a completely non-ironic way, and it looked great. I'm not sure that living on NYC, she could have done that, because she would have had the constant feedback of "Ed Hardy is terrible. Ed Hardy is terrible."
If I was to give people any advice, it would be "Stop being so fucking efficient with your life". Efficiency eventually leads to creative death. Some fucking Kondo-ing your life, and instead, embrace the chaos. Instead of reading your subscriptions here or following instagrams of people whose tastes you already like, allow yourself to wander randomly. If something catches your eye even a little bit, go and explore. Maybe it will turn out to be a total dead end - but it will not have been a wasted of your time.post #8872 of 170904/3/16 at 10:32pmpost #8873 of 170904/3/16 at 10:51pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by accordion
- Chasing trends is more of a social activity than aesthetic. Unknown designers don't provide cultural capital to the people in those kinds of circles. Likewise, different people relate differently to art. For example not everyone associate the music they listen to with what kind of person they are, or treat it as a reflection of their aesthetic taste. Sometimes it's about listening to what everyone else is listening to, or finding the next whatever before they blow up.
The problem with the bolded part is that you are just associating trendiness with social circles that you don't respect, whereas in reality, it's part of every social circle.post #8874 of 170904/4/16 at 11:08ampost #8875 of 170904/4/16 at 11:15ampost #8876 of 170904/4/16 at 11:15amQuote:Originally Posted by Bussit
Anyone hear about the Panama Papers yet?
This is going to be quite interesting.
saw it, shocking, appalling and watch no one gets punished because #MONEYpost #8877 of 170904/4/16 at 11:17amQuote:
dude you really need to read this https://panamapapers.icij.org/20160403-panama-papers-global-overview.html i don't think you understand the gravity of it, its really crazy.
corporations scamming money out of people left and right. cover ups. insurance claims defrauded. this is not chump change this is in the millions/billions.post #8878 of 170904/4/16 at 11:19ampost #8879 of 170904/4/16 at 11:23ampost #8880 of 170904/4/16 at 11:25amQuote:
This isnt true either. Mexican/SAmerican Mafia/cartels laundering money. People using these corporations as ways of 'paying' other people (Russia). etc etc.
Also, this is 2.6 TERABYTES of data. That is ridiculous. Lrgest leak in history I believe.
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...
- › Cooperation With Right Person To Promote Our Custom Mens Suit 3 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects. 6 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 15 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 19 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 21 minutes ago
- › Sorority Semi-Formal at Preppy, Mid-Atlantic Liberal Arts College 24 minutes ago
- › Dress shoes with jeans. 25 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 35 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...