• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders v. Hickey Style

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
These are my 2 fave brands right now.....both have the same aesthetic, classic ivy league inspired looks, similar construction (tho BoO has full canvassed jackets but a much higher price) and fit (made for a slimmer build). Pricepoints are similar (BoO is a tad higher) but Hickey has the advantage of a webshop that has severe discounts at saletime (like now).

I like the full box pleat of BoO, but Hickey shirts are easier to tuck in (for us tuckers)

I wish both would start putting the 3rd neck button to really get the vintage OCBD style correct.

I dig it.

For the uninitiated...

Band of Outsiders

Hickey Style

SWB

Reaction score
Just the sheer existence of a cashmere pot leaf sweater is enough to send my head spinning...

The rest looks good, though I can't begin to conceive of what that model thinks he's doing.

SWB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Lucien-Pellat Finet.
Oh my. I had no idea. Not to mention, pot leaves and anarchy symbols. On a single garment! This is how I always imagined the future.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Does Hickey cater to hippies?

I guess all the neo-trads are dopeheads

Seriously, I wonder what their design dept had i mind with the cannibus motifs???

"dooooood, this kronik is the shiznizzy....let's put weed on all our buttons, yea man, that would ruuuuule"

other than the weed ****, the normal gear is pretty damn nice.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
3" silk grenadine ties for $35:

http://www.hickeystyle.com/website/p...5Fid=5H925002&

If I weren't such a cheapskate, and thought I'd ever get around to wearing it, I'd definitely order one of these.

great price on all the sale ties

I got this one a while back during the first round of markdowns for $50, and now it's only $35 too. Really nice wool tie (the description is incorrect in saying it's silk)

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the fit on the items? As a slim 39, what should I get?

n/m, their size chart is excruciatingly detailed. Wow. Assuming this is accurate, I guess I'd be a small.

Second question: Are the jackets fused, or just partially canvassed?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
How is the fit on the items? As a slim 39, what should I get?

n/m, their size chart is excruciatingly detailed. Wow. Assuming this is accurate, I guess I'd be a small.

Second question: Are the jackets fused, or just partially canvassed?

I'm not sure how accurate that sizing chart is. I am a solid 38 and a small is pretty tight on me...I can wear it but I feel like I'm going to burst out of it. A med fits me better, but according to that size chart I'd swim in it.

At their pricepoint, I'd say their jackets are all fused

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like BoO is a lot like Thom Browne. I hate to say it but its like the cheap mans Thom Browne...but its still not cheap,
I like both a lot but I would have to go with BoO because I cant really afford Thom Browne too much...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm actually going away from BoO a bit, as I feel I have that aesthetic covered at this point, and mostly adding dries, margiela, seize, and similar shirts to my wardrobe at this point.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^yup

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads