Took the blazer to the tailor today. Have used him few times so I trust his advice. He agreed chest looked boxy. So yep getting the chest suppressed and the arms shorter from the wrist.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on Yesterday at 6:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 5/2/16 at 7:35pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions - Page 146post #2176 of 662311/22/12 at 4:21pmpost #2177 of 662311/24/12 at 11:28ampost #2178 of 662311/24/12 at 11:30amI came into this suit for fairly cheap and want to know if it's close enough that it's worth trying to have it tailored or if I should just let it go.
Also how big of a job would it be? I don't yet have a tailor here I feel really comfortable with and would rather not pay someone just to ruin a nice suit.post #2179 of 662311/24/12 at 1:36pm
Can I save this? It seems to fit in the shoulders (maybe even a bit narrow), and the armholes are small enough. I know what to do with the sleeves: short enough to just cover my shirt cuffs. What else should I do?
Here are its measurements:chest (right under arms) 102waist 96hip 104sleeve 65length (in back from neckline down) 82A well-fitting jacket:chest 96waist 86hip 98sleeve 54length 69Me:chest 90waist 73hip 90arm (shoulder to first knuckle of thumb) 58half the distance between neck and floor 69
Edited by PianistOne111 - 11/24/12 at 11:50pmpost #2180 of 662311/24/12 at 6:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by Tony Hubert
I just bought this new RTW suit and had it tailored at several points. However, I have quite developed shoulder blades and the jacked fits too tight around the upper back. Do you think it would help if I let the center seam out? Or is there maybe another way to fix this. (I've checked and there is approx 1'' allowance left in the center seam). Thanks in advance.
Size 40 Suitsupply Sienna model, 140s Vitale Barberis Canonico. At the shop they took in the sides of the jacket and squared the neck (although I still think it doenst fit well). The jacket fitted very comfortably before tailoring, but now just feels too snug at the back.
im not a tailor, however this looks like your wearing a dress from behind...not a good look.post #2181 of 662311/24/12 at 7:39pmDSCN4421.JPG 2,848k .JPG file
Can I get a critique on this suit, please? Just got it from Black Lapel. Sleeves seem too short and the right one is shorter than the other. Pants in the back don't look too good either. Please let me know what you would get done to this suit.
Apologies for the picture quality -- just got the suit and couldn't take the pics until tonight when the light wasn't too good. My wife is out of town and my 6 yr old did her best so it's as good as we could do for right now. I want to take this in soon to get altered for a company party next weekend so that's why I'm putting these up now instead of waiting until the wife gets home. Thanks for your help.post #2182 of 662311/24/12 at 7:41pmpost #2183 of 662311/25/12 at 12:22ampost #2184 of 662311/25/12 at 12:36ampost #2185 of 662311/25/12 at 10:54ampost #2186 of 662311/25/12 at 6:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by finch5
I just tailored a suit and would like to get some feedback on the fit.
I personally feel that the skirt of the bottom center part of the suit (not sure what that is called) is not spaced apart enough.
Please advise on what kind of changes I can make to my suit to achieve the effect as circled in the picture below. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This stylistic change is better communicated to the maker with a picture. A picture of this jacket and a picture of how you would like it to be. Part of the issue is how the jacket drapes due to your posture. The front balance needs to be longer. This will help clean up the back and lift the back off your hips.
You also have a very low right shoulder.post #2187 of 662311/25/12 at 7:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by jd13jd13Quote:Don't mean to be a pest, but any critique?Originally Posted by jd13jd13
I'm about 5'7'', 130lbs, generally wear 14.5 collar, 36s /30 waist. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The shoulders don't sit right. The overlap is skimpy and causes the lapels to bow out when you button the jacket. The combination of this and the shoulder make the collar gap. Would lower the front button position. Shoulder blades on the back are too large. jacket would look better longer.
Make the trousers longer and angled down in the back.post #2188 of 662311/25/12 at 7:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by npdef
Long time lurker here and my first post! Thanks for everyone providing advice. I've learned so much from this thread.
2 bespoke suits from a local tailor. Please click to enlarge.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The grey jacket seems shorter than the other and the button position looks too high. What I see on the back view is it was taken in too much under the arms on the side body making it smaller across the back. Would let the the side body out a good 1/2" on each side but not the back part.post #2189 of 662311/25/12 at 7:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by RDiaz
Posted this in the "forward shoulders" thread, but that one sinks fast. Not sure if this problem has to do with my shoulders being indeed forward. The jacket also seems to fit better if I make the top part of the back about two inches smaller by pinning it. Fits better, but not well anyways.
The armholes are also hideously low - do you think that might have anything to do with this too?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
yes, looks like a forward shoulder issue but this photo doesn't give much to go on. There appears a bit of a twist on the shoulder. Need to shift the front shoulder towards the shoulder, away from the neck and square it a bit. Stretch the canvass over the shoulder. Put a little more fullness on the back shoulder and hope for the best.post #2190 of 662311/25/12 at 7:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by p.henrik
Recent tweed jacket, CMT from Ah Loke, KL, Malaysia. Tweed fabric bought separately in London.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Both jackets are very clean. Nothing to comment about the fit but if I were making these I would want a better look on the front below the button. Don't want to see so much of the shirt and top of the trouser. The shaping of the back doesn't define your waist. It looks fitted right under the armhole on the back and then an A line to the hem. Greenish jacket not as clean in this area as the brown.
The left vent hangs differently than the right side. You have a low right so you may need more length over your left shoulder.
Just random observations, they appear to fit well.
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Black Fleece Watch 23 seconds ago
- › Viberg for Styleforum HoF GMTO - The Hopper Boot PUT YOUR MONEY... 24 seconds ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Friday Challenge May 13, 2016: An Ode the Odd Waistcoat! 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 11 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › Tie pattern size 12 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 13 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 17 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts