• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look?

jhilly8982

Reaction score
Looking for advice, wondering what everyone thinks of this suit and shoe look. Are the brown shoes too light and loud for this grey suit? My wife doesn't like it, but I am seeking out other opinions. I am planning on wearing this to a wedding or two.
DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

Also, how do you think this shirt and tie will look with the brown shoes. Please, opinions on the shirt and tie are welcome as well, I had a real hard time finding a tie to go with this shirt.
DSC_0066.jpg

Thanks in advance, this is my first post, hope to pick up some good pointers here.

larryr

Reaction score
Those shoes aren't really meant to be worn with a suit. The square toe isn't necessarily a favorite around here, so most people are going to tell you to get rid of them (I would agree). It would look like you were driving a new car with **** wheels and tires.

A brown shoe would look fine with that suit. I don't think the tie and shirt are terrible, but I don't wear many suits.

jhilly8982

Reaction score
Originally Posted by miurasv
The shoes are light tan but look like they've been polished with dark tan.

They came like that, I think I should go buy a decent pair of brown shoes, although these were pretty expensive (bacco Bucci)

Thanks for the tips.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those shoes are a decent color, but are brutal dogshit otherwise.

You haven't been here long if you think bacco bucci is expensive.

jhilly8982

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
those shoes are a decent color, but are brutal dogshit otherwise.

You haven't been here long if you think bacco bucci is expensive.

well expensive relatively speaking, $100 is expensive, but I know a great quality pair easily costs 5 times that.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the tie, the shirt cloth is not to my liking.

Canned response, but get yourself a pair of AE strands in walnut calf.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find a good charity and donate those shoes as they are genuinely awful.

Buy new shoes. Walnut is a great color to wear with a suit in that color and you will look very Italian.

facet

Reaction score
I agree that the colour of the shoes are fine and would look nice with that suit. Just change the style of the shoe (I'd second the Allen Edmonds recommendation, such as the Strand/Fifth/Park Ave. There's a thread here where you can get one for $230 or look on ebay).

I'm not a big fan of the tie myself. But I'm not a fan of that type of pattern in general; so it's just a personal preference. If you want to go with a pink shirt, maybe go with a blue patterned tie?

pink-block-check-windsor-slim-fit-double-cuff-shirt-28704.jpg

1860.jpg

Poindexter

Reaction score
And, uh, brah, when you get the Strands, effing maintain them. Those shooz you showed are absoloodle dilapidated. Get some trees and polish.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the AE Strand suggestion (in Walnut)

Strand-Euro-Glamour.jpg

Your tie & shirt combo is acceptable for now. Buy some new shoes first.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I agree with the AE Strand suggestion (in Walnut)

Strand-Euro-Glamour.jpg

Your tie & shirt combo is acceptable for now. Buy some new shoes first.

bah, also buy a decent tie from thetiebar.com. It's only $15!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads