• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I move from Canada and live in the United States?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently living in Canada, what are the steps for becoming a US citizen? What are the options and how long does it take? Is it easy to become a US citizen if I'm born in Canada?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of different ways.

Most common:

Green card through a job in the US, then go on the path to citizenship (I believe it's 5 years after Green card).
Green card through family (or start a new one with an American spouse)

Less common:

Help the US in a foreign war as a translator, guerrilla, etc.
Become a professional athlete
Win the Nobel prize or qualify as a similarly exceptional person

...plus other ways.

Honestly, there is no huge advantage in the American citizenship application process if you are Canadian, which is a shame, since Canada is very welcoming to Americans who aren't even intending to become Canadian citizens. As a Canadian working in the US I have to jump through a lot of hoops but still won't be treated as anything other than an alien. I pay taxes for benefits that I am ineligible to receive.

NickM3

Reaction score
With NAFTA I believe the TN visa is a very common way for Canadians to move to the US for work. It is a temporary 3 year work visa. http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html Definitely weigh the cost/benefits of actually switching citizenships though. Canadian citizenship is one of the best if you plan on being an expat worker from a taxation and visa-free travel standpoint.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if I don't have a professional job? Can I go to the USA and work at starbucks and become a citizen?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I suggest you PM Piobaire. He braved the waters of the Detroit river and came out unrecognizably well.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you if you tell me how I can move from the US to become a citizen of Canada.

I want out dammit.*

*(half joking
confused.gif
)

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is it possible that your name appears twice in one post?

As far as the Canadian->US citizenship is concerned, you do realize that without USA, Canada would be like Alaska right? This explains why Americans are preferred in Canada.

usa_night_satellite.jpg

Originally Posted by intent
Lots of different ways.

Most common:

Green card through a job in the US, then go on the path to citizenship (I believe it's 5 years after Green card).
Green card through family (or start a new one with an American spouse)

Less common:

Help the US in a foreign war as a translator, guerrilla, etc.
Become a professional athlete
Win the Nobel prize or qualify as a similarly exceptional person

...plus other ways.

Honestly, there is no huge advantage in the American citizenship application process if you are Canadian, which is a shame, since Canada is very welcoming to Americans who aren't even intending to become Canadian citizens. As a Canadian working in the US I have to jump through a lot of hoops but still won't be treated as anything other than an alien. I pay taxes for benefits that I am ineligible to receive.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
I'll tell you if you tell me how I can move from the US to become a citizen of Canada.

I want out dammit.*

*(half joking
confused.gif
)

Getting Canadian citizenship is actually pretty easy, you basically just apply. If you speak English (and hopefully some French), have a degree and seem employable, you're in.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Getting Canadian citizenship is actually pretty easy, you basically just apply. If you speak English (and hopefully some French), have a degree and seem employable, you're in.

You forgot that you need to be verifiably unemployable, are willing to consider alternative methods of being, and preference will be given if you have a costly but long term chronic disease.

OP, the real answer to your question? Go spend $300 and talk to an immigration lawyer to review your particulars. End of story.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
What if I don't have a professional job? Can I go to the USA and work at starbucks and become a citizen?

No. Your employer needs to sponsor you.

If you want the easy route, marry some chick.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Our immigration laws are
ffffuuuu.gif
Good luck. I took a course on immigration law in law school and was blown away at how many hurdles we throw up for hardworking, educated people to come here. Any amnesty for illegals should be concurrent with a drastic simplification of our existing immigration laws.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You forgot that you need to be verifiably unemployable, are willing to consider alternative methods of being, and preference will be given if you have a costly but long term chronic disease.

Herp Derp but also a little too true for my liking.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
How is it possible that your name appears twice in one post
I'm special. See if you can figure it out.
Originally Posted by iroh
No. Get a real job. Serious answer: There are many other "professional" jobs that don't require a specialized degree. Google "NAFTA TN status occupation list".
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Our immigration laws are
ffffuuuu.gif
Good luck. I took a course on immigration law in law school and was blown away at how many hurdles we throw up for hardworking, educated people to come here. Any amnesty for illegals should be concurrent with a drastic simplification of our existing immigration laws.

Agreed. I'm going to apply for my TN status under the lawyer category this upcoming Monday. Here's hoping I don't run into a power-tripping border guard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads