or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Egg whites
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Egg whites - Page 6

post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Beautiful face, very average cook, lovely lady. But shall I say... festively plump.
post #77 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Many studies have shown that reducing the volume of food is beneficial to longevity. Not only are we not meant to eat nearly as many calories as most people do, but we should not really be eating the massive amounts that many of us do. It's not just about cutting out shitty food, it's about cutting down on the quantity.
Can't stress this point enough. Luigi Cornaro's Discorsi Della Vita Sobria is a very interesting read. He was a Venetian nobleman from the 15th century, who was facing death at the age of 35. After implementing a calorie restricted diet and practicing what he calls "sober living" he lived to the age of 102. I have read the literature of studies that show rats that were fed semi starvation diets lived longer than those fed diets that maintained energy balance. So there is definitely evidence backing the longevity effects of caloric restriction. All the more reason to eat smaller amounts of the most filling foods, i.e. fats and protein. That was sort of my intention in the topic of this thread.
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Beautiful face, very average cook, lovely lady. But shall I say... festively plump.

she definitely could give christina hendricks a good fight

post #79 of 92
i dont understand the argument that you shouldnt eat loads of steamed vegetables. its quantity of calories that counts, not quantity of food.

those longevity freaks can bang on about the benefits of near starvation diets as much as they like. id rather be fit, strong and healthy while im in my prime than hungry and anemic for the benefit of an extra 5 years of dementia bound life.
post #80 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
Can't stress this point enough.

Luigi Cornaro's Discorsi Della Vita Sobria is a very interesting read. He was a Venetian nobleman from the 15th century, who was facing death at the age of 35. After implementing a calorie restricted diet and practicing what he calls "sober living" he lived to the age of 102.

I have read the literature of studies that show rats that were fed semi starvation diets lived longer than those fed diets that maintained energy balance. So there is definitely evidence backing the longevity effects of caloric restriction. All the more reason to eat smaller amounts of the most filling foods, i.e. fats and protein.

That was sort of my intention in the topic of this thread.

I look forward to us isolating the mechanism behind the longevity increase through semi-starvation so that we can bs it, but until then it just doesn't seem worth it to me.
post #81 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockofeller View Post
Background: I'm a former personal trainer with a masters degree and sports nutrition is my hobby...

Unless you're trying to gain weight, stick with the whites. You can use 1 egg yolk for flavor, if you like, and you won't really suffer for it - but I personally don't because i enjoy the convenience of using only boxed egg whites. To add flavor to your egg recipes use a pinch of salt or spices. Terragon is great with eggs. Cook them slower to get more fluffiness if that's what you're after (low heat, will take 10-15 min to scramble). Throw a bunch of salsa on top of them - I like to keep a few flavors around. Salsa is low calorie and provides some of the healthy goodness of vegetables (usually mostly tomatoes). Watch out for added sugars in your salsas, however. I wouldn't be surprised if some cheaper brands have these and worse.

+1. I am on a restrictive workout/eating program, and an occasional whole egg is allowed with the egg whites. It does make a difference in taste, especially if scrambled. But the omelet is a really good idea - less noticeable texture and taste difference without the egg yolks. Saute some chopped onions in a very small amount of olive oil, brown some low fat ham cubed, and throw in a small amount of very low fat cheese for texture and taste, and you can get a moderately decent tasting omelet. If that doesn't do it for you, dump some hot salsa on it and that will make it better.
post #82 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cretaceous_cretin View Post
+1. I am on a restrictive workout/eating program, and an occasional whole egg is allowed with the egg whites. It does make a difference in taste, especially if scrambled. But the omelet is a really good idea - less noticeable texture and taste difference without the egg yolks. Saute some chopped onions in a very small amount of olive oil, brown some low fat ham cubed, and throw in a small amount of very low fat cheese for texture and taste, and you can get a moderately decent tasting omelet. If that doesn't do it for you, dump some hot salsa on it and that will make it better.
Why does the ham and cheese have to be low fat? Just use a bit less of it... you'll be fuller and you won't be masking the fact that you're eating highly processed bullshit that tastes like scrotum. Good god it's incredible these american diets with "low fat" and whatever else... it's a wonder so much of the rest of the developed world manages to stay thin eating butter, oil, real cheese and no "low fat"/"low carb"/"diet"/"light" anything. I wish some of you would spend just a week eating with locals in Spain or Greece... the amount of oil and cheese they eat... and the charcuterie and omelets in Spain. And Herbert, I'm sorry but I just don't understand binge eating regardless of the calories. You only eat such massive quantities because you trained your stomach to stretch and accommodate that much food. At least you're healthy, which is a great thing, but there's usually some sort of emotional/psychological reason for wanting to consume that quantity of food. Also the bs you're saying about starving yourself is retarded and you know it. You think the French or Italians or the Japanese are starving themselves? The average person from any of those countries eats on a daily basis what 99% of Americans (that live off of "diet" food like fucking egg whites) would call a "special occasion" meal, and they're thinner, healthier and live longer.
post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert View Post
whats the scoop of beige stuff on the right side?


That is called a "Slaatje" which is basically Dutch style potato salad.
post #84 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Beautiful face, very average cook, lovely lady. But shall I say... festively plump.


Yikes, and definately a boring cook.

post #85 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
And Herbert, I'm sorry but I just don't understand binge eating regardless of the calories. You only eat such massive quantities because you trained your stomach to stretch and accommodate that much food. At least you're healthy, which is a great thing, but there's usually some sort of emotional/psychological reason for wanting to consume that quantity of food.
when i started competitively weightlifting i started monitoring my calories because its an advantage to stay close but to, but not go over, a weight class. i was also given advice that getting most of my daily vitamin and mineral intake was important for recovery from training. i decided to try and do this without taking multivitamins and the way i managed to achieve this was by eating lots of nutritionally dense food. maybe wanting to be good at my chosen sport is an emotional/psychological reason. however, i train hard and limit my intake to less than 2000 calories a day of fruit, vegetables and meat - i dont really classify that as binge eating. i understand your point about "traditional" diets with traditional portion sizes however your use of greece as an example of an idealised diet is curious. greeks are as fat as americans.
post #86 of 92
Egg whites: good with pisco.
post #87 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert View Post
when i started competitively weightlifting i started monitoring my calories because its an advantage to stay close but to, but not go over, a weight class.

i was also given advice that getting most of my daily vitamin and mineral intake was important for recovery from training. i decided to try and do this without taking multivitamins and the way i managed to achieve this was by eating lots of nutritionally dense food.

maybe wanting to be good at my chosen sport is an emotional/psychological reason. however, i train hard and limit my intake to less than 2000 calories a day of fruit, vegetables and meat - i dont really classify that as binge eating.

i understand your point about "traditional" diets with traditional portion sizes however your use of greece as an example of an idealised diet is curious. greeks are as fat as americans.

I didn't realize that you're a weight lifter. That changes the game quite a bit, and I know you guys have to be very clinical about what you eat.

Greece is a lot farther down the list of fattest countries, but it is one of the highest in the EU. But I think my example still stands... Italy, France, Spain blah blah... they eat very well and manage to stay thin.

I eat about 2000 calories a day, sometimes less, and I eat only what I want. I think people need to learn more about food and they'll see that they can eat great proteins and fats on a reasonable daily caloric intake.

Matt eats quite well and I'm sure he's not going over ~2000, and Piobare, bless him, has LOST WEIGHT eating foie gras, butter, bacon, pork belly, and any animal that can be braised, cured, or cooked sous vide. These are anecdotes but the numbers just make sense.

The biggest reason trainers and dieticians recommend bland food is because this country has a shitty food tradition outside of a few small pockets in the south. As a country, we have very little understanding of food and therefore we think in order to be healthy, calories are all that matters and we have to almost "punish" ourselves. Also, with habitual binge eating, people want to keep the volume but cut the calories. It's a shame.

But again, I didn't realize that you're a weightlifter. But on 2000 cal a day, eggs would be absolutely no problem for you. I'm friends with a big time trainer that has trained some very famous people for films, including a guy that is known mostly for his incredible physique. He wants ALL of his clients to start their day with 2-3 poached eggs. Every day.
post #88 of 92

I like egg beaters with salsa. 

post #89 of 92
Resuscitation in progress
....
....
....

Success!
post #90 of 92
I actually enjoyed this mm & SF heavy necromancy.. missed first time around and agree 99.5%.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Egg whites