• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

law graduate, better futurn in law firm or IB?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wouldn't he have to be a partner or managing director/senior vp to get away with functional button holes? I think it would be uncouth for associate/analyst to arrive at work dressed so.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soymilk*sion
Since I am not familiar with these industries, cannot decide which one is better.

-.- futurn -> future

Don't you have to at least know something about law firms if you are a law graduate?

I have no experience in investment banking, but I do have some friends who work for GS, MS and others. To listen to them talk, the work is quite limited. However, due to time pressures, and the amount of money that you are moving around, it can be both an adrenaline rush and also quite stressful.

I do have experience in law, and I can say that the work is often quite intellectually interesting, although bits of it are mundane and relatively boring. If you work in an area that involves courtroom work, it can be really challenging and enjoyable.

Both can involve long hours and can impose pressures on family and other relationships.

Both can pay well, although obviously at the upper tiers, IB pays far more than legal work.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he's from australia, law is an undergrad degree there

i wouldn't compare him to people working for GS or MS

swaggerisaliability

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arirang
Is a JD a typical path to IB-dom? How are the two even connected?

OP's from Australia, where you can major in law as an undergrad. He's not referring to a JD, so his case is like any humanities major going into banking in the states, a path that's more common than expected.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
As a relatively experienced attorney in NY (>10 years), bankers seem to enjoy their jobs and life more than lawyers do. I know very few lawyers who don't wish they hadn't pursued another path. That being said, it would be very useful to be interested in finance or business for banking. Otherwise, it sounds equally dull yet stressful.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
As a relatively experienced attorney in NY (>10 years), bankers seem to enjoy their jobs and life more than lawyers do. I know very few lawyers who don't wish they hadn't pursued another path. That being said, it would be very useful to be interested in finance or business for banking. Otherwise, it sounds equally dull yet stressful.

I have only a fraction of your experience, but my observations are similar. Almost every BigLaw lawyer I've met has some serious reservations about his or her career. In contrast, every ex-BigLaw lawyer in investment banking seems to be exceedingly happy with having made the switch.

I think the reasons why are fairly self-evident. To enjoy corporate law or commercial litigation, you've got to believe your corporate clients do good, meaningful work. Too many BigLaw lawyers don't believe that--so, obviously, they have a hard time appreciating what they do everyday. They're just selling their souls bit by bit for an upper middle-class paycheck. On the other hand, those that do believe it might find a career in business or finance even more rewarding. As lawyers, they feel like they're on the sidelines, while making less money and carrying only slightly less risk. It seems to me you've got to love business and really, really love thinking about legal issues to not feel suicidally depressed in BigLaw. That's rare.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I have only a fraction of your experience, but my observations are similar. Almost every BigLaw lawyer I've met has some serious reservations about his or her career. In contrast, every ex-BigLaw lawyer in investment banking seems to be exceedingly happy with having made the switch.

I think the reasons why are fairly self-evident. To enjoy corporate law or commercial litigation, you've got to believe your corporate clients do good, meaningful work. Too many BigLaw lawyers don't believe that--so, obviously, they have a hard time appreciating what they do everyday. They're just selling their souls bit by bit for an upper middle-class paycheck. On the other hand, those that do believe it might find a career in business or finance even more rewarding. As lawyers, they feel like they're on the sidelines, while making less money and carrying only slightly less risk. It seems to me you've got to love business and really, really love thinking about legal issues to not feel suicidally depressed in BigLaw. That's rare.

I realize this isn't exactly the best place to ask this, but I'm contemplating making the switch in a couple of years. What should I be looking at between now and then to make me attractive to BigBanks? Currently a third year in BigLaw.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whichever your talent aligns with better is the better choice.

Some hate reading, some hate math.

If you hate reading, do IB. If you hate math, do law.

If you hate both equally and want to hang with big dogs all the time, do management consulting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads