or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hand lasted vs machine lasted
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hand lasted vs machine lasted - Page 20

post #286 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliswell View Post
Interesting word, this 'factory'. It comes from 'manufactory', a place where something is made by hand.

Nice theory, but lacks any factual basis.
post #287 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_MD View Post
Nice theory, but lacks any factual basis.
Actually: man·u·fac·to·ry / mænyəˈfæktəri/ [man-yuh-fak-tuh-ree] –noun, plural -ries. Archaic. a factory. Origin: 1610–20; obs. manufact - handmade (< LL manūfact(us); see manus, fact) + -ory2
post #288 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post
Actually:


man·u·fac·to·ry
/ mænyəˈfæktəri/ [man-yuh-fak-tuh-ree]
-noun, plural -ries. Archaic.
a factory.

Origin:
1610-20; obs. manufact - handmade (< LL manūfact(us); see manus, fact) + -ory2



Yes - I have a dictionary too. What is your point?
post #289 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_MD View Post
Yes - I have a dictionary too. What is your point?
I have no point, just a fact. Do you have a point?
post #290 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post
I have no point, just a fact. Do you have a point?

Factory does not "[come] from 'manufactory'".

Nice theory, but no basis in fact, actually.
post #291 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_MD View Post
Factory does not "[come] from 'manufactory'".

Nice theory, but no basis in fact, actually.

In a strictly literal sense it appears that you are right; factory predates manufactory by some time, but had a rather different meaning until at about the time when manufactory emerges by a compounding of and manufact (handmade) with -ory (place), to mean, depending on context, "something that is made by manual labor", "the production of manufactured goods, and "the place where things are made by hand". Contemporary with this meaning, "factory" evolves from "office for agents (factors), or "real estate office" to come to mean "a place where things are made". It would be rather strange if this change arose spontaneously without any connection to the concurrent evolution of a closely related word.
post #292 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post
In a strictly literal sense it appears that you are right; factory predates manufactory by some time, but had a rather different meaning until at about the time when manufactory emerges by a compounding of and manufact (handmade) with -ory (place), to mean, depending on context, "something that is made by manual labor", "the production of manufactured goods, and "the place where things are made by hand". Contemporary with this meaning, "factory" evolves from "office for agents (factors), or "real estate office" to come to mean "a place where things are made". It would be rather strange if this change arose spontaneously without any connection to the concurrent evolution of a closely related word.



The use of 'factory' as a place for munufacture predates te use of 'manufactory' as a place of manufacture.

Quote:
Factory:
5. a. A building or range of buildings with plant for the manufacture of goods; a manufactory, workshop; "˜works'.

1618 USSHER Let. to Camden 8 June, The Company of Stationers in London are now erecting a Factory for Books and a Press among us here.


Quote:
Manufactory:

2. a. A place where a product is manufactured; a factory or workshop, now esp. one where articles are handmade.

1641 Acts Parl. Scotl. (1870) V. 657 For intertayneing and erecting of Manufactories for cloathe... Forsamelke as the want of manufactories.
post #293 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

Vass are made in a factory

Me don't think that right,
Vass made in small workshop.
No many machine use in Vass.
post #294 of 294
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_MD View Post
The use of 'factory' as a place for munufacture predates te use of 'manufactory' as a place of manufacture.
It should also not be missed that the words "munufacture" and "te" are so futuristic as to have not yet been invented (at least in English), which is impressive. If you're going to be a pedant...... May I just take this opportunity to thank whoever rated my thread one star? It's my first star and has made me feel special. Thanks. Edit - someone just changed it to two stars. I applaud your sense of humour, sir :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hand lasted vs machine lasted