or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4354  

post #65296 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post
 

My guess is corrected grain leather.  Their "smooth/gloss" leathers are almost certainly that.

 

Not that there is anything wrong with that.  I have some corrected grain for snow duties.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenoobie View Post
 

 

I saw the brand on Gilt I believe.

 

Founder's profile: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dhruv-bhalla/34/b03/770

 

Brand website: http://3dmlifestyle.com/

 

I am pretty sure the quality is going to be like one of those sold at DSW. Photos are after-effect treated..


Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

post #65297 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieBro View Post

Where does one buy a deer bone, how much do they cost, and how does one use it on shell shoes??
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Leffot, hanger project, a fine pair of shoes, and skoaktiebolaget carry them. I bought mine from Skoak along with a pair of Bonafe chukkas.

I think Hanger project will charge the least for shipping.

For use and general cordovan care, I recommend @mdubs web site:

http://aldenofsandiego.com/caring-for-your-shell-cordovan/

I second this info. I got my bone (stop laughing) from Leffot. mdubs method for caring for shell opened my eyes. Using water to help bring the oils (to the surface) is something that is never discussed when caring for shell. That and using water helps get rid of any scratches and nicks.
post #65298 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLiving View Post

I had an interesting conversation with my local AE rep. 

We were talking color combinations and I mentioned that I didn't have a quality pair of black shoes, but just a nice pair because I don't wear black that often. 

He said that of the 20 or so pairs of AE's he has, he has never bought a black pair and didn't really plan to. His suggestion was to go with an oxblood vs. black because it gave you more versatility. 

In my situation that may make sense, curious if others pull this off that have to wear suits more or if you just go black?

I enjoy my black PAs and they have seen a ton of use so far. With that said, I don't see myself buying another pair of black AEs unless I need to replace that pair of PAs.
post #65299 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmusic1 View Post

From where was your haul? Leeds perhaps? 

Nope, I probably would of saved me a bunch of cash if I did go to the Leeds outlet store. I picked up pretty much everything I wanted this sale at my local AE store. The only thing I am on the fence about keeping is the pebble grain first avenues. It was either the chocolate dalton or the first ave. My girlffriend said that she liked the first ave better, since I have so many wing tips already. My SA agreed with her as well. So, with this haul and a recent purchase on the forum I am done until next sale (At least My wallet hopes so!)

Here is the updated haul from the RDA sale:

Snuff suede Dundees and belt
Chili Lexingtons and chili belt
Pebble grain first ave
Strand double flap brief case (love this. I almost want to pick up another one for my brother for a xmas present)

post #65300 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLiving View Post

I had an interesting conversation with my local AE rep. 

We were talking color combinations and I mentioned that I didn't have a quality pair of black shoes, but just a nice pair because I don't wear black that often. 

He said that of the 20 or so pairs of AE's he has, he has never bought a black pair and didn't really plan to. His suggestion was to go with an oxblood vs. black because it gave you more versatility. 

In my situation that may make sense, curious if others pull this off that have to wear suits more or if you just go black?

I agree with this. I usually wear merlot, if I am wearing dark pants. I bought my only pair of black shoes as seconds (Harrison's). I've had them about a year and probably have worn them twice.
post #65301 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwitstyle View Post
 

Hello!

 

I just bought a pair of Cognac McTavish's today for someone as a gift... I was looking for a wingtip that had enough of a casual look to wear with dark levis, etc... do you think this was the right choice??

 

Also, the person I bought them for has very very wide feet. EEE. Do the McTavish's run pretty generous in width as some there looked narrower than others.

 

The sales assistant was pushing the McGregor's on me, in Dark Chili but they seemed a bit more dressy?

 

I'll offer my 2 cents since I literally just bought a pair of Tan McTavish's in 9EEE. I bought them as seconds, and without having previously tried on a pair in person.

 

I found them to run slightly large, but more importantly I thought they just looked way too blobby in the wide size. I'm returning them for something sleeker (haven't figured out what that is yet though). 


Edited by DNSamurai - 10/11/15 at 5:50pm
post #65302 of 70737

Shoe tree question:  I have 2 pairs of Park Ave (black and brown) in size 9D.  According to the website description for the AE full toe shoe tree, they recommend using them for all AE shoe lasts.  And for size 9D they recomemnd size Medium trees.  However these trees seem to be too big.  The toe gets stuck before getting to the front of the shoe.  Does this make sense? 

post #65303 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post

Shoe tree question:  I have 2 pairs of Park Ave (black and brown) in size 9D.  According to the website description for the AE full toe shoe tree, they recommend using them for all AE shoe lasts.  And for size 9D they recomemnd size Medium trees.  However these trees seem to be too big.  The toe gets stuck before getting to the front of the shoe.  Does this make sense? 

It makes some sense to me. I personally do not have shoes where my toes go all the way into the end of the toe box. Thus, no sweat down there. The toe box is sturdier and this no real need for internal support. I personally would rather have the tree supporting and absorbing moisture across the vamp, where they seem to fit best. Just a thought.
post #65304 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLiving View Post

I had an interesting conversation with my local AE rep. 

We were talking color combinations and I mentioned that I didn't have a quality pair of black shoes, but just a nice pair because I don't wear black that often. 

He said that of the 20 or so pairs of AE's he has, he has never bought a black pair and didn't really plan to. His suggestion was to go with an oxblood vs. black because it gave you more versatility. 

In my situation that may make sense, curious if others pull this off that have to wear suits more or if you just go black?

I second, third, fourth the opinions of the other members. Black is only "mandatory" at funerals and weddings. While I wear black more frequently than that, I do find I can wear merlot, chili, walnut and brown much of the time, depending on the suit or slacks. So I just use black for formal and a less frequent part of the rotation.
post #65305 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post


It makes some sense to me. I personally do not have shoes where my toes go all the way into the end of the toe box. Thus, no sweat down there. The toe box is sturdier and this no real need for internal support. I personally would rather have the tree supporting and absorbing moisture across the vamp, where they seem to fit best. Just a thought.

 

thanks.  so do you think they are designed so that the "toe" of the tree gets stuck in the vamp area?  or is that just your personal preference?

post #65306 of 70737

Evening functions, almost regardless of occasion, suggest black. Sure a burgundy shade will be nice and work fine, but it should probably be black. In addition to the funeral/wedding issues, a black shoe seems a worthwhile investment. Black shoes are also good for interviewing.

post #65307 of 70737
@DNSamurai - the count is absolutely right. McGraw if you can get one, or something like the Addison if you don't mind a casual style.

Was also going to suggest the Firenze or Arezzo - people usually overlook these.

The Patriot fit is just plain weird. The heel is so tiny I've joked that you need a crowbar to get them on, but once you do, the toe box is very generous. How they decided to keep the 606 AND introduce the 2042 while phasing out the 222 is beyond me.
post #65308 of 70737
Interesting comments....pretty sure 14 of my AEs are black 😊
post #65309 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

I second, third, fourth the opinions of the other members. Black is only "mandatory" at funerals and weddings. While I wear black more frequently than that, I do find I can wear merlot, chili, walnut and brown much of the time, depending on the suit or slacks. So I just use black for formal and a less frequent part of the rotation.

Black also works great with gray pants/suits. And brown.
post #65310 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post

Interesting comments....pretty sure 14 of my AEs are black 😊
Are you a wedding crasher?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...