or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 172  

post #2566 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post

Any thoughts on burgundy cordovan?

I thought you weren't a fan of cordovan? But in general i'm a fan of burgundy icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #2567 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post

Any thoughts on burgundy cordovan?

If it is close to Alden's #4 then it gets a +1.
post #2568 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I thought you weren't a fan of cordovan? But in general i'm a fan of burgundy icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

No, I've never owned them. I want to try a pair but I don't know what kind and color to get. I have trouble with loafers because of my narrow foot so I have to go with 11B. However, they rarely make 11B cordovan, and even then, the break-in process would probably be very painful as it is for calf-skin loafers. Laceups I could do 11B-11D. But should they be more casual because of the nature of the leather? Should I go with boots? I just don't know... shog[1].gif
post #2569 of 70737
I picked up a black Hale. There is also good availability for brown and merlot Weybridges.
post #2570 of 70737
Tony, another member posted a bunch of pics of AE shell here if it helps-

http://www.styleforum.net/t/268468/the-shell-cordovan-non-alden-shoe-and-boot-thread/150#post_4969061
post #2571 of 70737

Hey everyone, I could use some advice.  I am flat footed, and I have been looking for a reasonable fit in the PA.  I've tried the the 11D, 10.5D, and 10.5E.  The 11D seems just a touch to long with some slip in the heel.  The 10.5E is quite comfy in the toe but too large in the heel.  The 10.5D is overall pretty good, a little tight over the small toe but perhaps OK if the leather stretches.  The main problem on the 10.5D is the instep.  My foot, where the arch is supposed to be, rolls out just a little when I put weight on it and forms a "V" shaped gap between the insole and the upper.  The edge of the insole digs into my foot.

 

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I left a message with AE inquiring if the insole can be modified to compensate but I have not heard back.  I will be in Southern California on business and hope to visit the AE store at South Coast Plaza.  They may have some suggestions.  But any tips or suggestions I can get in advance would be a big help.  Thanks.

post #2572 of 70737

How open is AE's customer service?  I was fitted for Elgins a full size smaller than normal and told that they would stretch over time.  They seemed only snug at the time, but unfortunately these shoes are waaaaaaay to tight at the toe box (found out after a day of wear).  To make it worse i made the mistake of commuting home in them.  Will AE accept returns for shoes with asphalt marks and scratches on the sole? 

post #2573 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiffic View Post

How open is AE's customer service?  I was fitted for Elgins a full size smaller than normal and told that they would stretch over time.  They seemed only snug at the time, but unfortunately these shoes are waaaaaaay to tight at the toe box (found out after a day of wear).  To make it worse i made the mistake of commuting home in them.  Will AE accept returns for shoes with asphalt marks and scratches on the sole? 

Yes. I've returned shoes like a month or two later for the same reason. They told me they'd break in and stretch but after many wears they'd always tear up my feet.
post #2574 of 70737

I've seen some posts in which members have exchanged shoes at AE after wearing.  Don't know about refunds.

post #2575 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Hey everyone, I could use some advice.  I am flat footed, and I have been looking for a reasonable fit in the PA.  I've tried the the 11D, 10.5D, and 10.5E.  The 11D seems just a touch to long with some slip in the heel.  The 10.5E is quite comfy in the toe but too large in the heel.  The 10.5D is overall pretty good, a little tight over the small toe but perhaps OK if the leather stretches.  The main problem on the 10.5D is the instep.  My foot, where the arch is supposed to be, rolls out just a little when I put weight on it and forms a "V" shaped gap between the insole and the upper.  The edge of the insole digs into my foot.

 

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I left a message with AE inquiring if the insole can be modified to compensate but I have not heard back.  I will be in Southern California on business and hope to visit the AE store at South Coast Plaza.  They may have some suggestions.  But any tips or suggestions I can get in advance would be a big help.  Thanks.


I don't have that problem, but I know some of the AE shoes can be made to work with custom orthodics (some are designed for it I think).  I don't think the PA is one of them though... 

 

post #2576 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Hey everyone, I could use some advice.  I am flat footed, and I have been looking for a reasonable fit in the PA.  I've tried the the 11D, 10.5D, and 10.5E.  The 11D seems just a touch to long with some slip in the heel.  The 10.5E is quite comfy in the toe but too large in the heel.  The 10.5D is overall pretty good, a little tight over the small toe but perhaps OK if the leather stretches.  The main problem on the 10.5D is the instep.  My foot, where the arch is supposed to be, rolls out just a little when I put weight on it and forms a "V" shaped gap between the insole and the upper.  The edge of the insole digs into my foot.

 

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I left a message with AE inquiring if the insole can be modified to compensate but I have not heard back.  I will be in Southern California on business and hope to visit the AE store at South Coast Plaza.  They may have some suggestions.  But any tips or suggestions I can get in advance would be a big help.  Thanks.



Take a picture of the v-shaped gap while wearing the shoe, so people can evaluate whether it is too extreme.  There have been several posts commenting on the tendency of AE's to bow out in a v on either side of the shoe when walking.  I know my AE's tend to do this and have formed  v-shaped creases on either side of the shoe.  For me, it's negligible enough that it does not bother me.  That said, there have been pictures in threads showing an unaceptably extreme v on either side of the shoe when putting weight on that foot.  I believe some knowledgeable experts responded that this was due to the design of the AE's and those posters having very flat feet. 

 

post #2577 of 70737

 

Quote:
I've seen some posts in which members have exchanged shoes at AE after wearing.  Don't know about refunds.

 

Quote:
Yes. I've returned shoes like a month or two later for the same reason. They told me they'd break in and stretch but after many wears they'd always tear up my feet.

 

 

Definitely comforting to know that there's a good chance for an exchange.

post #2578 of 70737

I'll see if can take a representative photo.  The shape of the leather doesn't bother me.  Run your finger along the inside edge of the insole when you reach the area corresponding to the arch of your foot press down hard.  You should feel the insole bite into your finger.  That's my experience.  I know other shoes (like the Vernon) are built on a more generous last, but AE makes a lot of shoes on the #5 (including most of my favorites).

 

How about a different question.  Is the shape of the insole in this area an effect of the last?  By that I mean, it is unchangeable.  If not, I would think that AE could modify the insole to roll down with the foot.

post #2579 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiffic View Post





Definitely comforting to know that there's a good chance for an exchange.

I have returned a pair of shoes after about 6 weeks fo wear. There were some construction issues and they said it would take about eight weeks to recraft. I said I'd prefer not to be without a pair of $350 shoes for eight weeks when I'd only owned them six, and they approved a return.
post #2580 of 70737
Booyah! Shoe Bank had brown calf Moras in my size. On their way! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...