1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsher

jdsher Member

Thanks for the heads up. Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Lombards in Walnut for $212. Brings my AE collection up to 2:)
    Jon

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience or advice on trying a wider width on the Executive last (Lombard, Player)? I'm a measured D, but this last in D is too narrow for me. If I went to a EEE, would that work, or is there something about the shape of the last that would create other issues? i.e.: if a last does not fit, can you just try altering the width?

3. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

Nice choice-attractive shoe, great color

I agree on the MacNeil. What proportionally is wrong with the PA/5th Ave? Isnt the Strand a similar look?

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

I think the toe caps on both are too short. That's the only thing I can think of. I own neither, and haven't held them in my hands at the same time to compare. The 5th Ave is visually worse with the perfing taking up some length.

5. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

Hmm, if thats the case I would think the Strand may be even worse with the other action on the toe, but thats my opinion. What do I know?

Going from a D to a EEE is a big jump, why not try an E? I've seen people post about going to a wider size.

6. kmdsimpson

I was just looking at what is available on the Nordstrom website...

7. Joenobody0

The Strand actually has a longer toe cap, which is why it's more attractive to me.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6105_1_40000000001_-1
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5705_1_40000000001_-1

That should/may be an overhead shot of the 5th Ave and the Strand. They're the same color and appear to be the same size. The toe cap appears to be somewhat longer on the Strand. That one change really makes the shoe "pop" for me.

8. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

I am a EEE, I cant even fit past my toes into a D, so there is ahuge difference in widths. Your foot would probably be sliding around in a EEE.

9. kmdsimpson

Ah, thanks. I have no sense of the differences. I'll have to go into a store and try them.

10. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing any sale when I search Amazon for Allen Edmonds Is there a special link or something?

11. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

FYI there is a review on Zappos that said they are a D width, tried the EEE, it was too wide, and the E was perfect for the Lombard.

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Speaking of sizing thought I'd post here instead of in the Dalton thread where I did yesterday, I'm looking for opinions.

Got my Shell Dalton boots yesterday and also a pair of Bayfield. The Bayfield fit like a custom built shoe and are 10D as are the other 6 pair of AE shoes I own. If AE had another pair of Bayfield in my size I'd buy them in a heartbeat, they are one of the best fitting shoes or boots I've ever had, even better than my MTM Russell Moccasin boots. Russell made my boots on a 9.5C last, with a close to a size 10 upper. I'm in between the two sizes but 10D has always worked in AE shoes and most other brands.

The Dalton are darker brown than what I thought they would be, which IMO is a good thing. Beautiful boot, love them. However I have a fair amount of slippage in the heel area, they feel way too wide in the back. My Shell Leeds, Wilbert and Shelton which are all on the same last as the Dalton fit perfectly. That is after stretching the left shoe toebox on the Leeds for a bunion which they caused from friction when they were new. I was thinking about exchanging the Dalton for a 9.5 D to see if it would help reduce slippage, any thoughts from the experts?

13. Joenobody0

Can you exchange for a 10C?

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the same thing. If I can find the independence longwing at the Freeport outlet during one of the 15-25% sales, I'm all over it. Edward mentioned that he was ordering the Independence line for his outlet but I don't know how they'd be priced. I won't get up there until mid January.

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I'd think an insole like superfeet could take up enough volume to achieve a better fit. Worth a try for shell at that price, I'd think. You don't have anything to lose, unless you can exchange for a different size easily.

16. viator

viator Well-Known Member

I realize this is the appreciation thread, so I am happy to remove this post if it's unwelcome, but I thought I would offer some information to potential recrafting customers. I recently sent a pair of AEs back for recrafcting and asked that AE use the titan rubber sole so I coudl then use the shoes as my rainy day pair. After not much time, the toplift on the heel started coming off, so I brought them to Nick at B. Nelson this morning. Nick pointed out that the new soles should have been stitched onto the welt. They were not, the rubber soles were simply glued to a midsole that was attached to the original welt. The welt had not been replaced, as AE says it does when recrafting shoes. Just a word to the wise that having AE put rubber soles on your shoes might not be the best idea.

17. kmdsimpson

This kind of information is much appreciated, and I for one welcome it on this thread.

Having said that - seems very odd. Why would AE do it that way? If they can't recraft properly, then they should say so upfront. It's amazing that a company that prides itself on workmanship would even consider a shoddy glue job like this.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  18. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

The simplest solution is usually the best and I thank you, can't believe I didn't think of that *insert bangs head against wall here* . I do have a shoebox of insoles from my past- green Superfeet, SOLES, plus factory insoles from shoes and boots over the years. I left out a small detail, I wear custom orthotics now. I put in the worthless factory insoles that were in my LL Bean Cresta Hikers and bingo the Dalton now fit like a champ. Thank You!!

19. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

Definitely appreciated-have you contacted AE? Specifically, try mentioning the details about the lack of stitching.

20. jdsher

jdsher Member

When you go to Amazon, type Allen Edmonds and you'll see their shoes pop up. Underneath each choice it'll say something about free 2 day shipping and "one more promotion". If you click on that you'll see the 25% off of $75 orders. The discount will show up when you check out.
    Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.