• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
+1 I think the glasses look good and also provide a lot of character. What's wrong with looking nerdish anyway?
confused.gif

There's a woman I see in town every now and then at gallery openings, trendy music shows, art fairs, etc. I only notice her because she wears the absolute worst glasses she can find. Huge grey Gene Shalit aviators, round coke-bottle black frames that look like Groucho Marx's glasses, etc. She's very pretty and wears ugly-ass frames. I was undecided on how I felt about it for so long but I think I came to the conclusion that it's try-hard. She actively wants people to pay attention to her glasses and see that she's being clever and ironic.

To that end, I think when dressing cleverly, the goal is to leave reasonable doubt about whether you're trying to be clever or not. Perhaps your glasses are thick and nerdy because you are actually nerdy. With something as overt as giant glasses like that, the girl leaves no doubt; she says "look at me, look at how clever I am, how willing I am to buck trends!" but most of all, it just says "look at me".

So in a roundabout way, this sort of applies to FTB. I think his glasses are borderline "look at me" and to some people, they notice that. I know I did when I first saw his pictures. That said, they're a bit more conservative than I had originally thought and they do straddle that line of clever/unaware that I talked about earlier. I'd like to see other options in frames as well. FTB, have you considered getting other pairs of glasses as well, or perhaps contacts? I pair up my eyewear with what I am wearing that day. Something like a brushed steel or platinum frame would look sharp with your mostly-black outfits.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I can't stand those minimalist frames everyone is wearing now--you look like a middle-class housewife. The larger and more dated the frames, the better.
2314334680_55b96a3af3.jpg
4.jpg
OG_zodiac_BM.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
There's a woman I see in town every now and then at gallery openings, trendy music shows, art fairs, etc. I only notice her because she wears the absolute worst glasses she can find. Huge grey Gene Shalit aviators, round coke-bottle black frames that look like Groucho Marx's glasses, etc. She's very pretty and wears ugly-ass frames. I was undecided on how I felt about it for so long but I think I came to the conclusion that it's try-hard. She actively wants people to pay attention to her glasses and see that she's being clever and ironic.

To that end, I think when dressing cleverly, the goal is to leave reasonable doubt about whether you're trying to be clever or not. Perhaps your glasses are thick and nerdy because you are actually nerdy. With something as overt as giant glasses like that, the girl leaves no doubt; she says "look at me, look at how clever I am, how willing I am to buck trends!" but most of all, it just says "look at me".

I think you're over-thinking glasses.
tongue.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Personally, I can't stand those minimalist frames everyone is wearing now--you look like a middle-class housewife.

The larger and more dated the frames, the more trendy you are.
[/IMG]

California is inundated with "Vintage glasses" places.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
California is inundated with "Vintage glasses" places.
I've never really seen them--maybe they're more common in Southern California. I know London and Ne York has some. Oftentimes though, most people who wear large frames don't do it very well anyways.

homi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
^^ Are you sticking with the look you've been sporting the past couple years or changing direction slightly with the new cloak and geller stuff? I'm just curious to see you work in that kinda of clothing with your well established streetwear look.

im changing it up slowly , but i dont have that many quality pieces to work with yet..

im waiting till i get more of the stuff together for a mature aeshetic before i slowly changeover.

im wrapping up the last few "street" pieces i need to keep it gully at parties and weekends

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Personally, I can't stand those minimalist frames everyone is wearing now--you look like a middle-class housewife.

So the alternative to looking like a "middle-class housewife" (you talkin' bout my Mama?) is looking like a 70s IBM technician? Really? These are our choices?

I think vintage, oversized frames are infinitely harder to pull off than subdued, minimalist frames.

FWIW, I think FtB's frames suit him pretty well. They never felt forced to me.

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
tongue.gif

Do you wear glasses?

Something you put on your face every single day of your life deserves sufficient thinking.

My dad has a pair of authentic 1960's glasses he wore when he was young that are hornrim and have the little metal studs at the ends. They're classic nerd and he will not let me have them. Life is hard.

I saw an ad in Make about a place where you can order plastic-frame glasses with lenses for about $60 online. They suggested it as a great way to try out green or red frames without the $350 that glasses would usually cost. Unknown about quality.

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
dior-1.jpg

zip up - Dior by Slimane
shirt - Y's
jeans - APC
shoes - Alden

Very cool like usual. You also have the distinction of possessing SF's biggest dome.

TheRealAshland

Reaction score
I disagree. I think the glasses work well on him.
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by hi-val
There's a woman I see in town every now and then at gallery openings, trendy music shows, art fairs, etc. I only notice her because she wears the absolute worst glasses she can find. Huge grey Gene Shalit aviators, round coke-bottle black frames that look like Groucho Marx's glasses, etc. She's very pretty and wears ugly-ass frames. I was undecided on how I felt about it for so long but I think I came to the conclusion that it's try-hard. She actively wants people to pay attention to her glasses and see that she's being clever and ironic. To that end, I think when dressing cleverly, the goal is to leave reasonable doubt about whether you're trying to be clever or not. Perhaps your glasses are thick and nerdy because you are actually nerdy. With something as overt as giant glasses like that, the girl leaves no doubt; she says "look at me, look at how clever I am, how willing I am to buck trends!" but most of all, it just says "look at me". So in a roundabout way, this sort of applies to FTB. I think his glasses are borderline "look at me" and to some people, they notice that. I know I did when I first saw his pictures. That said, they're a bit more conservative than I had originally thought and they do straddle that line of clever/unaware that I talked about earlier. I'd like to see other options in frames as well. FTB, have you considered getting other pairs of glasses as well, or perhaps contacts? I pair up my eyewear with what I am wearing that day. Something like a brushed steel or platinum frame would look sharp with your mostly-black outfits.
comming from the lone girl of the forum... i think i would be right.. the dude is very attractive. the glasses are taking away from the sex appeal.. lol just trying to help

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheRealAshland
comming from the lone girl of the forum... i think i would be right..

No. A lot of your critiques lead me to believe that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads