• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

lithium180

Reaction score
Fitzgerald - The Beautiful and the Damned

Edward Tufte - Envisioning Information

I'm slowly working my way through all of his books which document the history of man's attempt to display quantitative and qualitative information as effectively as possible in 2-dimensional spaces. Great stuff if you like graphic design science and history.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I have not yet finished the book on Korolev, I got this in today. Long overdue? Maybe
biggrin.gif

Anyway, in honour of a famous photograph of a notorious pair of Polo shoes...

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
He was also interestingly, a homosexual, and was convicted for it despite his achievements.

A lot of the more interesting 20th-century intellectuals and academics apparently loved the cack.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished Leibniz's Discourse on Metaphysics. This is a great accompaniment to Voltaire's Candide, which I had read a while back. Discourse, in its dogma, seems like a step back from Spinoza and fully deserved Voltaire's mocking. I'm on Leibniz's The Monadology now, but it's much nicer.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I enjoyed Friend of The Earth (apologies if we've already discussed this).
His short stories really are excellent.
Just finished Michael Dibdin's "Vendetta". Scanning my shelves (and piles) for what's next.

I recently re-purchased Descent of Man (T C Boyle) just for the short story "The Extinction Tales". And "Bloodfall". and "Dada". And others. But I still doubt any of them touches "Sorry Fugu". Simply indelible, that one.

So I was scanning though the Italian crime genre looking at some of the authors you recommended - how did you like Vendetta?

I started Sampson's The Masters last night. Liked Hogan a lot, so I figured this was a safe bet from the used book shop.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walter Mead's God and Gold: Britain, America, and the Making of the Modern World

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Just finished Leibniz's Discourse on Metaphysics. This is a great accompaniment to Voltaire's Candide, which I had read a while back. Discourse, in its dogma, seems like a step back from Spinoza and fully deserved Voltaire's mocking. I'm on Leibniz's The Monadology now, but it's much nicer.

ok, next time I am playing "trivia pursuit, the philosphy version", you are so on my team!!

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
The Road by Cormac Macarthy
The Stranger by Camus (for the 3rd time)
Voices of A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AndrÃ
00a9.png
Aciman's Call Me By Your Name. I have not been able to find a single negative review of this book, so I have high expectations.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, next time I am playing "trivia pursuit, the philosphy version", you are so on my team!!

Only if you will be on my team when I have to play against the Washington Generals.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Only if you will be on my team when I have to play against the Washington Generals.

deal

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
I didn't make it to the finish line on this one.

Me neither. I made it about half way through and felt like I'd had enough. I'm glad I read some of it, however.

Just read Laura Lippman's WHAT THE DEAD KNOW and while it kept me turning pages I didn't love it.

Now I'm tearing through Malamud's THE NATURAL. Much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads