• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why So Many Small Sizes?

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Such people should go to the AAAC B&S.
devil.gif

I see what's going on here
crackup[1].gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bslo
How are you only 210 lbs. but wear 40 inch pants (and a 48 L jacket)? I would have guessed that you would be at least 25 lbs. heavier.

Yeah, that is wierd. My brother has just the same dimensions, (just a couple of inches bigger in the chest), and last time I saw him, he was tipping the scales at just about 300 lbs.

danbachran2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Small people buy more stuff because they have bigger wardrobes -- they can fit more clothes into the same amount of closet space. Dwarves buy the most clothes of all. That's a little-known fact

What about faries?
blush.gif

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, clothes are more than a ***** to find to fit me off the rack. I measure in at 6'3" 170lbs and a size 36-38R jacket depending on brand. SF has helped me find clothes that fit a bit better OTR but I am still amazed by the amount of lighter/smaller gentlemen here.

Michael Boehm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bslo
How are you only 210 lbs. but wear 40 inch pants (and a 48 L jacket)? I would have guessed that you would be at least 25 lbs. heavier.

35 -40 lbs actually.

Originally Posted by Lawman
I can't tell you, but just know that it's so. I can range up to 220, but I'm typically within five pounds or so of 210. Do my dimensions sound odd?

alien.gif

Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I just weighed in at 204 in the gym today, with a tshirt, shorts and sneakers on. I wear a 42L, usually 36 waist pants, even though my actual waist is about 35 right now. If you were wearing a 48L with an 8 inch drop, I would expect 240 at those sizes.

teacha.gif
At least

Originally Posted by texas_jack
I'm 6'4" and 250 and I wear 48L

Also, keep in mind people like their stuff to fit differently and some may like a looser fit. I've seen smaller guys than me shopping for the same size.

6'2"
I'm usually on the prowl for sportcoats because of stylistic preferences. I like my trousers high waisted (think 1930's) and the only way that happens is mtm so I leave suits to languish. I guess this makes me part of the problem why larger sizes don't show up here.

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Wikipedia says that the average american male is 5' 9.5" and weighs about 160lbs. I'm 5' 9" and 145 , wearing a 30W and 38R. I assume that the extra 15 lbs adds around 1-2 inches on to the waist and chest measurements, so the average american should be right at 32W and 40R - in line with what I see on this forum.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That was the average male size in the 1960's. The most recently available data says that average height has increased an inch or so but average weight is around 190-195 lbs. And it's not due to bodybuilding.

A 40" inch waist sounds borderline obese to me, even at 6'3". Statistically those weight-to-height and height-to-waist ratios would put you in the moderate to high risk category for weight-related health problems. (Insert standard disclaimer re: statistics here).

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danbachran2
What about faries?
blush.gif

Fairies have magic clothes-storage methods, it's true. They can fit whatever they want in their closet. But, their clothes are so marvelous and magical, they rarely need replacement, and since they are all communists and do nothing for money, they don't have as much cash as the money-grubbing dwarves and so do not accumulate the same amount of clothing.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cookieoflife
Wikipedia says that the average american male is 5' 9.5" and weighs about 160lbs. I'm 5' 9" and 145 , wearing a 30W and 38R. I assume that the extra 15 lbs adds around 1-2 inches on to the waist and chest measurements, so the average american should be right at 32W and 40R - in line with what I see on this forum.
But cheap suit-wearing dudes are huge today. I was just talking to an elderly clothing salesman (at a Jos A Bank). This guy has been selling clothes in the same place since the 1960s. I love these guys and always draw them out in conversation to get their take on the history of all this stuff. This guy was telling me that in the 1970s, American men wore their suit jackets and dress trousers skin tight. So vintage stuff you find, all the time, with a tagged size that's larger than it would be today. Over the years, the men have gotten bigger and bigger. Not just in height, but also in the chest and in the arms. He thinks the big shoulders on cheap RTW are necessary to fit the meaty biceps that far more men sport today than they did in the 1970s. Back then, he tells me, the "gut sizes" or core sizes, the ones they sold the most, were 40R and 42R. Today, the most stocked and sold sizes are 44R, 46R, 44L, and 46L. It's not just that guys wore the clothes a little bigger, on average, than they were thirty, forty years ago. A jacket tagged 38R today, which is much the same size as a jacket tagged 40R thirty-five years ago, was once one of the most commonly sold sizes. So cheap suit-wearing American men have moved up, on average, six sizes. It's not just that they are overweight; they are also taller and more muscular. And it could also be that men working jobs that require suits are more larger than average today than they were thirty-forty years ago.

danbachran2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Fairies have magic clothes-storage methods, it's true. They can fit whatever they want in their closet. But, their clothes are so marvelous and magical, they rarely need replacement, and since they are all communists and do nothing for money, they don't have as much cash as the money-grubbing dwarves and so do not accumulate the same amount of clothing.

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Lawman

Reaction score
Borderline obese! Oh goodness, I am wounded. I've never been mistaken for an Adonis, but have never been taken for a ***** either. I played quarterback in college with a 36" waist, and that was 20+ years ago!

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Sizes EUR 48 made for a 5' 11" 170 lbs guy and EUR 50 for a guy up 6' and 190 lbs are the standard here in Europe.

EUR 48 is very hard to find on sale, EUR 50 is more common, I presume because the most RTW suits are manufactured for a 48 and 50.

52 to 60 you can find a lot on sale.

But I only buy 48 and 50 for sale, so if they don't sell I could keep them for myself ( I wear an EUR 48, 5' 11" 172 lbs ).

Hrm. So at 6'1", 175, I should be wearing what?

I can't fit into anything smaller than an e54. Am I doing something wrong?

chang

Reaction score
I'm 6'1 and fluctuate between 185-195, and I think e54 fits rather loosely.

Originally Posted by bobdobalina

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobdobalina

are you top heavy with broad shoulders and skinny legs. In that case, an eu54, which is approximately an us 42, would fit.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I agree that the sizes on here are fairly small, but then I think most people are simply of smaller stature. I wear a 46L and I would say that the large size of the jacket has pretty much zero to do with my waistline or "weight". I need the large jacket because of my large arms and shoulders. The trend right now is clearly toward skinnier male models whereas 10 years ago it was towards the amjack ex-jock. In my case, it means that for an ex-football player who has lifted weights for years, I find less stuff that actually fits me even if it is marked my size because the shoulders or arms are too tight. Lawman-- I hear what you are saying. I have no doubt that you are no where near "obese" and I feel your pain. Bottom line is that I think you'll find some luck on ebay, but by and large you are going to find more stuff that isn't in the super trendy SW&D genre. Stick with shops that accomodate grown-ups and you'll be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads