• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I'm trying to master that praising-and-bumping your own thread thing that has become all the rage in B & S, but I'm too lazy to create another username.

Well, no worries; at least you got the bumping part down
tounge.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
You're just picking on me because I'm white.
That is soooooo white of you
tongue.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Why?

why not?

actually, it just seems fairer to both the buyer and seller's interests. the problem with allowing positive comments but not negative comments is that it unduly tilts the information flow in the seller's advantage. Again, I'm not talking about authenticity issues, just the "monetary value" issues. It seems we're permitting people to say things like "great value" but not "bad value".

As it is, I don't like the no-disparagement/permitted positive statements rule and it just makes me vaguely feel like I would be ripped off if I participated on the B&S forum.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, the new no bumping rule is causing far more problems than this ever did. It's what caused the recent raft of fake shill accounts, and it was a heavy handed fix for a problem that never existed. People just don't see threads that get buried, and sporadic bumping every few days worked fine for a long time.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
why not?

actually, it just seems fairer to both the buyer and seller's interests. the problem with allowing positive comments but not negative comments is that it unduly tilts the information flow in the seller's advantage. Again, I'm not talking about authenticity issues, just the "monetary value" issues. It seems we're permitting people to say things like "great value" but not "bad value".

As it is, I don't like the no-disparagement/permitted positive statements rule and it just makes me vaguely feel like I would be ripped off if I participated on the B&S forum.

I'm not a fan of this either. I think free discussion is the best policy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Seriously, the new no bumping rule is causing far more problems than this ever did. It's what caused the recent raft of fake shill accounts, and it was a heavy handed fix for a problem that never existed. People just don't see threads that get buried, and sporadic bumping every few days worked fine for a long time.

A few bad apples, like they say. In any case, you can still bump if you have something substantive to add to your post, or are doing a price drop, etc...

In any case, with the rule, the asshats hiding among us are exposed for ridicule and then a banning. Everyone wins. Except the asshats, who are gone anyway
teacha.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
A few bad apples, like they say. In any case, you can still bump if you have something substantive to add to your post, or are doing a price drop, etc... In any case, with the rule, the asshats hiding among us are exposed for ridicule and then a banning. Everyone wins. Except the asshats, who are gone anyway
teacha.gif

How about bumping, reasonably? I have a load of stuff for sale, but people can't see my thread after a few hours because it's disappeared into page 2-5. In the mean time, I've sold a few things. So, can I bump it without reducing prices?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
How about bumping, reasonably? I have a load of stuff for sale, but people can't see my thread after a few hours because it's disappeared into page 2-5. In the mean time, I've sold a few things. So, can I bump it without reducing prices?

I see no problem with that. We encourage threads with multiple items for sale - they offer more content, and clog up the forum less, so I think that a post stating that XYZ items have been sold, and that the original post has been updated to reflect this, would be perfectly acceptable. I would not consider that a gratuitous bump.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
... some drivers don't know how to merge...

Reminds me of the beginning of Less Than Zero, one of my favorite books in college.

People are afraid to merge on freeways in Los Angeles. This is the first thing I hear when I come back to the city. Blair picks me up from LAX and mutters this under her breath as her car drives up the onramp. She says, "People are afraid to merge on freeways in Los Angeles." Though that sentence shouldn't bother me, it stays in my mind for an uncomfortably long time. Nothing else seems to matter. Not the fact that I'm eighteen and it's December and the ride on the plane had been rough and the couple from Santa Barbara, who were sitting across from me in first class, had gotten pretty drunk. Not the mud that had splattered the legs of my jeans, which felt kind of cold and loose, earlier that day at an airport in New Hampshire. Not the stain on the arm of the wrinkled, damp shirt I wear, a shirt which had looked fresh and clean this morning. Not the tear on the neck of my gray argyle vest, which seems vaguely more eastern than before, especially next to Blair's clean tight jeans and her pale-blue T-shirt. All of this seems irrelevant next to that one sentence. It seems easier to hear that people are afraid to merge rather than "I'm pretty sure Muriel is anorexic" or the singer on the radio crying out about magnetic waves. Nothing else seems to matter to me but those ten words. Not the warm winds, which seem to propel the car down the empty asphalt freeway, or the faded smell of marijuana which still faintly permeates Blair's car. All it comes down to is that I'm a boy coming home for a month and meeting someone whom I haven't seen for four months and people are afraid to merge.

Bret Easton Ellis, Less Than Zero

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
from one mod's point of view, the problem I have with B&S is that every time we make a rule that seems to work on 'fair play' (TM), someone comes along n takes advantage of us with it.

We try to say 'keep the bumps to a minimum' but even now we catch people bumping their threads every morning. Is that 'fair' on other sellers? No, cos then they start bumping too, so then the every morning dudes, switch to bumping every 12 hrs to stay ahead of the pack and so then....et al.

BTW if you want a little proofpoint that it does bug others, you can take my word for one thing...other sellers report it and report it fast. We get a bunch of 'he is bumping' post reports, almost always from other people selling on the board annoyed that they play by the rules and are sliding on to page 2.

Then we made the 'only bump it if you have a discount' rule...what did we get? Some dick who dropped his price by a cent. Seriously. You should have seen the dialog "it says reduce your price and I did so how can you lock me...no fair no fair". Ridiculous.

So then (and as voiced above, I am not in favor of this especially) there is a 'no slandering' rule in place. So what do we get? Dudes registering new addresses just to compliment their own wares and bring them back up to the top. So what's a mod to do?

It gets annoying, and it kinda sucks that the only way weve been able to maintain "fair" is to just set overly restrictive rules that constrain the honest dudes in order to stop the few bad apples from spoiling the whole orchard.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. People who go out of the way (create new accounts etc.) to shill for their goods would do it anyway. And as LA Guy said, since now the mods are alerted, it makes for good entertainment.
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by LA Guy
In any case, with the rule, the asshats hiding among us are exposed for ridicule and then a banning. Everyone wins. Except the asshats, who are gone anyway
teacha.gif

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about increase the number of threads per page? So threads can stay in first page longer. I've seen some forums with much higher thread counts per page.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't mind even more severe restrictions & enforcement in the B&S forum. I've recently seen sellers bump their threads with messages like "I'm going to post more items tomorrow," or by posting messages telling someone that they've replied to a PM.

Two couple ideas that come to mind, neither of which is perfect:

-Don't allow any responses to posts at all. Questions can be asked and answered by PM; if sellers need to update information, they can use the edit function.

-Charge for posting in B&S. I believe AAAC has started this recently, in part to reduce spam. If you had to pay for every post in B&S (not just every new thread), I imagine bumping would be reduced; questions could still be handled via PM. Given that B&S is a great service, and far preferable to eBay, I wouldn't mind paying a little to use it.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjmin209
Personally, I wouldn't mind even more severe restrictions & enforcement in the B&S forum. I've recently seen sellers bump their threads with messages like "I'm going to post more items tomorrow," or by posting messages telling someone that they've replied to a PM.

Two couple ideas that come to mind, neither of which is perfect:

-Don't allow any responses to posts at all. Questions can be asked and answered by PM; if sellers need to update information, they can use the edit function.

-Charge for posting in B&S. I believe AAAC has started this recently, in part to reduce spam. If you had to pay for every post in B&S (not just every new thread), I imagine bumping would be reduced; questions could still be handled via PM. Given that B&S is a great service, and far preferable to eBay, I wouldn't mind paying a little to use it.

Charging would be a bad idea. Not to derail things but then we might as well have M@t(-linda?
tounge.gif
) rule us with an iron fist. Which he would probably enjoy, the dirty little bugger!

I am going to go away before he wakes up over there and sees my posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads