• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a television in your living room?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good thread, Matt.

short answer - yes.

I didn't have a tv from age about 10 until I was about 24 or 25, and even then I didn't really watch much aside from mtv an cnn. when I met my wife, she lived with her mother in a 5 bedroom apartment (just the two of them). she felt very strongly that you shouldn't have a tv in the living room, and I felt very strongly that you shouldnt have a tv in the bed room. we had a spare bedroom at the time, and I told my wife we could either use it as a library or a tv room, or not have a tv, I was open to all possibilies. I also told her that she should know that I couldn't promise her that we would be able to afford to always have a tv room, and that she should consider that - if that was the way she wanted to live her life, I couldn't promise that I could provide that, because it was something that she felt strongly about at the time.

anyway, we ended up having a library/study and having the tv in the living room. then when the fist baby came we had the tv in the living room, and no library.

when we lived in a larger house, we tried having a formal living room, a library and having the tv in our bed room. frankly, I really didn't like having a tv in the bedroom, and I found that having a formal living room was wasted on us.

now, our lving room is basically a den - we entertain adults maybe a few times a month, at most. we need play space 24/7. so our lving room can be used to sit and have coffee with adults - but it is basically designed to be a play area for 3 kids.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think so. We have a display in the "family room," which is also known as the "living room" (at least that's how I've understood it). We also have a more formal sitting parlor that is devoid of any electronic devices.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in a big 1300 sq ft open loft, so every room is the living room. I bought a 46" LCD TV and am trying to figure where I can put it so it is not the center piece of the room. I hate that.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think that the current trend of large expensive flat-screens is not unlike the Victorian habit of placing a Victrola in full display in the living room.

It shows technological hipness and status.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm beginning to think that the current trend of large expensive flat-screens is not unlike the Victorian habit of placing a Victrola in full display in the living room.

It shows technological hipness and status.

the funny thing is that i'd find a Victrola infinitely more cool than an expensive flat-screen in a living room these days.

-Jeff

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tough thing about a TV is that guests will look at it, even when it's turned off.

So I like the TV in a room dedicated to TV watching. And I like another room with seating arranged in a circle.

If I had a 46" TV and lived in a large ballroom-converted-to-a-loft space, I'd put the TV twenty feet from a wall, facing away from the center of the room. And I'd get a large bookcase to put behind it. That way you could seat guests in the center of the room and the TV screen would not be in sight--until you went looking for it, and walked around the bookcase.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our home comprises:

One living room
One bedroom
One kitchen
One bathroom
Three closets.

I refuse to have a TV in the bedroom and there's not room in the closets ro kitchen, so it's in the livingroom.

b

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
the funny thing is that i'd find a Victrola infinitely more cool than an expensive flat-screen in a living room these days.

-Jeff

rotflmao.gif

+1

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No TV in the living room, which we call "the piano room". There is one TV with cable/satellite in the family room, and another in the finished basement with a DVD player so the kids can watch stuff like Bob the Builder and leave me alone to watch sports.

I had no TV until I was 35, when I broke down in order to watch March Madness. Yes, I was egghead-book-reading-guy for a long, long time.

My wife will not countenance a TV in our bedroom. I will never allow them in the children's rooms.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how my bedroom is both my living room and den, I'd have to say yes, though it is not a TV specifically, it is a computer monitor with a receiver hooked into one of the inputs.

If I had my druthers I'd have a 100" LCD that is easily covered by a sliding solid wood panel (by remote control of course).

Andrew V.

Reaction score
The only thing that I think is silly is when people have a television set in a room but try to hide it, like they want visitors to think "wow, they don't watch television, they just like to sit in furniture that's all facing an armoire."

Oh, and my parents never let me have a television set in my bedroom growing up, and I'll never forgive them for it.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think hiding it is silly. Electronics aren't particularly pretty to look at so having the option of hiding complicated equipment is refreshing. Pretending it isn't there would be lame. I'd fully intend on showing it off at some point.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrew V.
The only thing that I think is silly is when people have a television set in a room but try to hide it, like they want visitors to think "wow, they don't watch television, they just like to sit in furniture that's all facing an armoire."

Oh, and my parents never let me have a television set in my bedroom growing up, and I'll never forgive them for it.

biggrin.gif
I hate those armoires.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I wish I lived in all of my rooms. Sometimes I can't figure out why we have them. I use about 3 rooms on a normal basis.

Cry me a river.

TV in media room. Which is also living/dining room and den. Mainly used for DVDs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads