1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a television in your living room?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by itsstillmatt, Feb 15, 2008.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. kronik

kronik Senior member

I do not have a formal living room, so yes.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

No, only TV in the house is in the finished basement.

4. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

In the living room no.

Family Room, Basement, Bedroom, yes.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

No to having one in the Living Room.

Den, Kitchen, Bedrooms, Bathroom is enough.

6. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Non in living room, small one in family one, plus home theater room.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Nope. I consider the living room and bedrooms (guest bedroom excepted) to be anti-tv zones.

Kronik, I was trying to decide whether your answer technically should be "yes" or "no", but I gave up. It's like a f***king zen koan.

8. dusty

dusty Senior member

I just knew this was a matt topic when I saw the link on the first page. Yes haters, we have a tv.

9. kronik

kronik Senior member

Nope. I consider the living room and bedrooms (guest bedroom excepted) to be anti-tv zones.

Kronik, I was trying to decide whether your answer technically should be "yes" or "no", but I gave up. It's like a f***king zen koan.

Hah. So was I. I was thinking.. no because I don't have one. I mean, what IS a living room, really? Is it a room you live in? I live in all of my rooms. That would suggest that a TV in the bathroom is unacceptable and that my friend, is heresy.

10. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I live in a normal NYC apartment. It's either no tv or tv in the living room/dining room. For what it's worth, we're getting an LCD with built in DVD so there will be no "entertainment center" and the focus will be elsewhere.

11. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Yes, there is one TV in the house and it's in the living room.

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Same idea, but for the DC-area.

13. itsstillmatt

Hah. So was I. I was thinking.. no because I don't have one. I mean, what IS a living room, really? Is it a room you live in? I live in all of my rooms. That would suggest that a TV in the bathroom is unacceptable and that my friend, is heresy.
    I wish I lived in all of my rooms. Sometimes I can't figure out why we have them. I use about 3 rooms on a normal basis.

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love having a TV in the bathroom so I can catch the news, weather, etc., while getting ready in the morning. God bless the guy who invented small flat screen TVs.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

No - our TV and computer are in the 2nd bedroom/guest room. We don't have guests that often so it has de facto transformed into our TV room

16. binge

binge Senior member

No TV in my apartment at all.

17. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I mean, what IS a living room, really?
    A living room is the combination of a drawing room and a parlor. Drawing rooms were once used exclusively for the reception of guests. They were formal spaces--almost public ones if your home had many servants bustling around with the business of dinner. Drawing rooms were typically on the first floor near the front door. Parlors were used for the family to relax, away from the eyes of guests and servants. Parlors are where you lounged around in your sleeping clothes. They were typically on the upper floors, and they most often adjoined bedrooms. Today when people visit older homes and see a parlor, typically a small room with a door on the hallway and a door or doorway communicating to a bedroom, they call these things "nurseries" and/or they are listed by realtors as small bedrooms though they may not be large enough to hold a queen bed. In the twentieth century, a bunch of things kill off the parlor and the drawing room. Americans blurred the distinction between more formal and more informal space within the home. As fewer families kept servants in their home, there was less to no need for keeping up appearances within certain areas of the home. With no servants coming every day at 8 am to do the cooking, there is no reason not to wear your sleeping clothes in any room of the house. Americans also got much better at building larger interior rooms. The old arrangement of small sleeping room with adjoining parlor became one large room known as the "master bedroom." We've also seen the kitchen and the drawing room growing together as a "great room" with the kitchen area totally open to the lounging area. This is another sign that the modern home is not built for the use of servants--in the old days the kitchen, though it necessarily adjoined the dining room that could often be seen from the drawing room, was hidden by an interior wall with, perhaps, a solid swinging door. So to answer your question, a living room is one in which the inhabitants of the home relax, with or without company, when they are not sleeping and when they are not eating. [/pedant]

18. itsstillmatt

^^^ Thanks. I don't have a television in my drawing room, but I do have one in my parlor. Our apartment is set up so as to have public and private sections, but I never really understood why, or understood the terminology before.

19. sybaritical

sybaritical Senior member

Good to see a few people with no tv at all ...

Sometimes I get bugged when people find out I don't have one and think it's strange.

20. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I remember many times having other parents look at me like I was some sort of hillbilly hick when they learned my house was filled with televisions and I placed no restrictions on my kids viewing. "How can you let your children watch that vile crap?"

When my oldest was named a National Merit Scholar they shut up.

Yeah, I've got tvs in damn near every room of my apartment.