• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
I went today. There was nothing really. Only one rack of suits. Does anyone know how often thrift shops restock ? So I can go check again sometime. Nataku - nice pick ups I need to visit good wills too.

I think it depends on the shop in question but this one near me restocks once a week... I'm assuming some do it more, some less... but this one near me (Salvation Army) they bring out new stuff every Thursday (and Wednesdays are 25% off everything in the store, so there's some logic there...)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went today. There was nothing really. Only one rack of suits. Does anyone know how often thrift shops restock ? So I can go check again sometime. Nataku - nice pick ups I need to visit good wills too.

Now's the time to do it! Tax season is always the best - summer and fall up until Christmas sucks ass. I come out empty handed about 80% of the time, whereas now....I haven't came out empty-handed since late December. I used to work for the Salvation Army - we got a truckload of stuff everyday except Monday to put out. Bunch of ******-ass furniture (sometimes there was some awesome stuff though, like a set of brand new Natuzzi couch and a brand new Herman Miller dining set, which I ended up buying for $100. ) two carts of household goods and between 3-5 carts of clothing (90% pure garbage......ratty Zubas, company polos, Faded Glory shirts and Bum Equipt. sweatshirts). Goodwill - I have no clue when they put stuff out here....but it seems whenever I go in there's a rack of clothing out that employees are putting away.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They restock about 15 minutes after you leave.

playdohh22

Reaction score

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uh, bijan....goes well on Ebay....very high end but often ugly.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-10-000-BIJAN...QQcmdZViewItem

That's all you need to know heh. To be fair, the retail prices for their stuff is/was incredibly inflated. Still flippable stuff though. For sure.

Note that the seller on your linked Ebay listing is our own Vman

Bijan sells ridiculously high for what it is.

Bijan is not a clothing maker but a re-brander. I believe that they have used D'Avenza and St. Andrews, among others, through the years as their makers.

The big difference is that they inflate their prices by a factor of 4 or 5!! A $2,500 St. Andrews suit by St. Andrews becomes a $10,000 Bijan suit.

It's a nice business plan if you can get away with it.

BTW: If you see any Bijan items at a thrift that are in good condition, definitely buy them. Bijan is one of those brands that will sell just because of it's label, even if it's ugly(which it often is). And it sells very high on Ebay. I doubt you will get very high prices here on SF since Bijan is sort of looked upon here as a high dollar Armani. I.E. a terrible value for the money, and one that is not nearly as good a choice as many alternatives of the same price.

playdohh22

Reaction score
wow.gif
Makes Kiton look like **** ?
peepwall[1].gif
I'll probably have to go back there tomorrow to pick it up for the hype.
shog[1].gif
Next time I am at a thrift shop, I will keep SF opened on my phone on the search page for reference use.
thumbs-up.gif

Just googled:
www.cbre.com/NR/rdonlyres/2AF28682-BD90-11D4-A8C0-00508B5B0FEB/377011/469NRodeo2.pdf

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I doubt you will get very high prices here on SF since Bijan is sort of looked upon here as a high dollar Armani. I.E. a terrible value for the money, and one that is not nearly as good a choice as many alternatives of the same price.

Shhhh...Some of us are trying to sell around here.
patch[1].gif

Anyone interested in a Bijan tie.
mwink[1].gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, just keep at it for awhile and soon you'll be able to feel the difference between a $100 Stafford suit and a $3k Brioni. Same goes with shirts and ties. I'm still iffy on trousers and shoes - but if it looks nice enough, I'll pick them up. If it turns out they're garbage, it's only $5 right? Think of it as a donation.

playdohh22

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads