The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

I went today. There was nothing really. Only one rack of suits. Does anyone know how often thrift shops restock ? So I can go check again sometime. Nataku - nice pick ups I need to visit good wills too.

I think it depends on the shop in question but this one near me restocks once a week... I'm assuming some do it more, some less... but this one near me (Salvation Army) they bring out new stuff every Thursday (and Wednesdays are 25% off everything in the store, so there's some logic there...)

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

One of the shops here seems to haul out stuff whenever someone's free to do it. They don't exactly tax themselves, so it's erratic, at best.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I went today. There was nothing really. Only one rack of suits. Does anyone know how often thrift shops restock ? So I can go check again sometime. Nataku - nice pick ups I need to visit good wills too.

Now's the time to do it! Tax season is always the best - summer and fall up until Christmas sucks ass. I come out empty handed about 80% of the time, whereas now....I haven't came out empty-handed since late December. I used to work for the Salvation Army - we got a truckload of stuff everyday except Monday to put out. Bunch of shitty-ass furniture (sometimes there was some awesome stuff though, like a set of brand new Natuzzi couch and a brand new Herman Miller dining set, which I ended up buying for $100. ) two carts of household goods and between 3-5 carts of clothing (90% pure garbage......ratty Zubas, company polos, Faded Glory shirts and Bum Equipt. sweatshirts). Goodwill - I have no clue when they put stuff out here....but it seems whenever I go in there's a rack of clothing out that employees are putting away.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

They restock about 15 minutes after you leave.

5. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

6. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

uh, bijan....goes well on Ebay....very high end but often ugly.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Bijan is a clothier in Beverly Hills IIRC. Makes Kiton prices look like Walmart. I think you have to have an appointment just to walk in the place. Never saw or owned anything - so I can't comment on quality, but for $15k for a suit, it better be damn good.

8. whacked

whacked Senior member

Does anyone know anything about the brand bijan ?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-10-000-BIJAN...QQcmdZViewItem

That's all you need to know heh. To be fair, the retail prices for their stuff is/was incredibly inflated. Still flippable stuff though. For sure.

9. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-10-000-BIJAN...QQcmdZViewItem

That's all you need to know heh. To be fair, the retail prices for their stuff is/was incredibly inflated. Still flippable stuff though. For sure.

Note that the seller on your linked Ebay listing is our own Vman

Bijan sells ridiculously high for what it is.

Bijan is not a clothing maker but a re-brander. I believe that they have used D'Avenza and St. Andrews, among others, through the years as their makers.

The big difference is that they inflate their prices by a factor of 4 or 5!! A $2,500 St. Andrews suit by St. Andrews becomes a $10,000 Bijan suit.

It's a nice business plan if you can get away with it.

BTW: If you see any Bijan items at a thrift that are in good condition, definitely buy them. Bijan is one of those brands that will sell just because of it's label, even if it's ugly(which it often is). And it sells very high on Ebay. I doubt you will get very high prices here on SF since Bijan is sort of looked upon here as a high dollar Armani. I.E. a terrible value for the money, and one that is not nearly as good a choice as many alternatives of the same price.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Def. pick it up! What was "it", exactly anyway?

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I doubt you will get very high prices here on SF since Bijan is sort of looked upon here as a high dollar Armani. I.E. a terrible value for the money, and one that is not nearly as good a choice as many alternatives of the same price.

Shhhh...Some of us are trying to sell around here. [​IMG]

Anyone interested in a Bijan tie. [​IMG]

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Also, just keep at it for awhile and soon you'll be able to feel the difference between a $100 Stafford suit and a $3k Brioni. Same goes with shirts and ties. I'm still iffy on trousers and shoes - but if it looks nice enough, I'll pick them up. If it turns out they're garbage, it's only $5 right? Think of it as a donation.

13. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.