• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is skinny the new jacked?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I read this today... damn it, where was this 20 years ago when I was getting out of college at 6'3" weighing a whopping 135-140 lbs? I could have been a supermodel!

You'd've had to compete with me. I was the same size at that time and much better looking than you ;-). And CTGuy, I ate everything in sight, but I didn't have the discipline to lift weights regularly or get proper nutrition. My diet included 3 balanced meals a day, plus all the snacks (usually ice cream) that I wanted. Only as I got older did my weight begin to creep up, my diet changed to become more healthy, and I only recently started working out with a vengence and supplementing my diet with a 4th meal or a protein shake. The result was an additional 20 lbs. of muscle.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
If a girl weighs more than 155, would most guys want them?

For a woman who's 5'9" that wouldn't be unusual. My girlfriend is 5'8", size 6, 145 and most would consider her average or thin. I have a female friend who is 6'0" and she's 160 and very thin.

BYucko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
Alright, well then never say a word about fat people. It's true people have different metabolisms, but if you want to lose weight and you have slow metabolism-- eat less/excercise more. If you are so skinny that you are at concentration camp weight all the time-- then eat more/excercise less (or at least less cardio/more weights). It's complete nonsense to tell me you can't gain a pound. Have an extra meal, have some protien powder, etc.

I'm 5"7 or 5"8.

At my highest point, when I had cottage cheese every night before bed, counted every single gram of protein, eating a bunch of chicken breasts, oats, steaks, beans, drinking milk every meal, eating 6 times a day....the whole shabangabang - I was 130 pounds.

I had given up on the whole ordeal. I was just too constantly full and went to my "regular" eating habits. When I checked my weight, it was right at 120.

I started panicking. This was definately not a weight that was good enough for me. I needed many new clothes for my new, tiny frame. I knew I would need to start going to the gym again.

Now I'm back and at around 125. I don't eat as religiously as before; I don't want to let food control my life again. But I just concluded that some people (like me...at this time) are naturally skinny.

Just some food for thought. And yes, I had little to no cardio during my bulk.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do skinny people ever consider manipulating their insulin/blood sugar levels to keep their body in storage mode? I don't know much about it, but all I ever hear is "eat more".

Personally, I've been working so much lately that I've been forgetting to eat and I'm down to 169.
crazy.gif

TheRealAshland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
For a woman who's 5'9" that wouldn't be unusual. My girlfriend is 5'8", size 6, 145 and most would consider her average or thin. I have a female friend who is 6'0" and she's 160 and very thin.
I think my co worker is 6'1 and 160...shes kinda thick... but 1 thing i hate or find disgusting is a slender guy who had like alot of belly fat like a muffin top and love handles..eww...

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The revenge of the ectomorphs!! I"m not one but never really wanted to look like a string bean either.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
At my highest point, when I had cottage cheese every night before bed, counted every single gram of protein, eating a bunch of chicken breasts, oats, steaks, beans, drinking milk every meal, eating 6 times a day....the whole shabangabang - I was 130 pounds.

All hogwash unless you have a food journal. There are people just like you who are now much, much bigger than you. How do you think they did it?

Everybody needs to stop complaining. If you don't want to do what needs to be done to reach a goal, then fine, forget about the goal. But don't go through life pretending you gave it your all and blame your failure on uncontrollable factors. That sounds more like a politician than a human being.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
naw it's pretty hard for skinny dudes to gain weight.

My best friend used to be like holocaust thin but then he started lifting weights and eating like a total ******* animal... creatine, protein... sometimes 2 12 inch subs from subway... he put on like 10lbs of muscle after trying really hard and lifting a lot.

I have seen this with other friends too... some skinny guys just have to take their time and really go crazy with it to put on mass.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Do skinny people ever consider manipulating their insulin/blood sugar levels to keep their body in storage mode? I don't know much about it, but all I ever hear is "eat more".

Personally, I've been working so much lately that I've been forgetting to eat and I'm down to 169.
crazy.gif

Actually, there are some diabetics at my clinic - all girls - who stopped taking their insulin to LOSE weight because their body goes into starvation mode.

Not really related, I just thought it was insanely stupid.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
All hogwash unless you have a food journal. There are people just like you who are now much, much bigger than you. How do you think they did it?

Everybody needs to stop complaining. If you don't want to do what needs to be done to reach a goal, then fine, forget about the goal. But don't go through life pretending you gave it your all and blame your failure on uncontrollable factors. That sounds more like a politician than a human being.

This man speaks the truth.

It's unquestionably harder for some people than it is for others, but it's not impossible. Start counting your calories--most of us skinny guys aren't eating nearly as much as we think we are. Just like most fat guys aren't restricting their calories nearly as much as they think they are when they try to lose weight.

WorkingTitle

Reaction score
I think you should just enjoy whatever body you have and roll with it. Stop analyzing everything and enjoy what you got.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
This man speaks the truth. It's unquestionably harder for some people than it is for others, but it's not impossible. Start counting your calories--most of us skinny guys aren't eating nearly as much as we think we are. Just like most fat guys aren't restricting their calories nearly as much as they think they are when they try to lose weight.
Jesus-- totally. If you guys say it's impossible for you to gain weight, then you should be out there defending the really overweight people who claim it's impossible to lose weight. Honestly-- I can't totally agree with that position, but I am looking for some consistency here. If you say some skinny guys just CAN'T gain weight no matter how much they eat then I expect some acknowledgement that some people are fat no matter how much they starve themselves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads