1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is skinny the new jacked?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MetroStyles, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

I do not believe people who say they eat a lot and are still extremely skinny. Your body is a machine and although fat people might blame it on their nature, we all know that only goes so far. If you wanted to gain weight you could-- have some extra cottage cheese, etc. I find it especially suspect when people who are extremely thin feel the need to constantly mention how thing they are-- clearly they are proud of the fact.

This is completely wrong. I know lots of people who eat ridiculous quantities of food, often very fatty, and end up weighing very, very little.

2. ken

ken Senior member

This is completely wrong. I know lots of people who eat ridiculous quantities of food, often very fatty, and end up weighing very, very little.

I used to think I was one of those people. Then I realized I wasn't eating ridiculously enough.

5'8", 168 here. 9% bf about a month ago.

3. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Alright, well then never say a word about fat people. It's true people have different metabolisms, but if you want to lose weight and you have slow metabolism-- eat less/excercise more. If you are so skinny that you are at concentration camp weight all the time-- then eat more/excercise less (or at least less cardio/more weights). It's complete nonsense to tell me you can't gain a pound. Have an extra meal, have some protien powder, etc.

4. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

Skinny guys are better at layering and they're always cold, so designers can sell them more clothes (the down vest over the sportcoat over the hoodie over the button down over the polo over the t-shirt -- and they're still thin).

The skinny look is hard to pull off past your early to mid-30s.... you start looking like you've been dead for a week. Fat fills out wrinkles!

I've love to see Lagerfeld's neck without his high collar shirt, I'm sure he'd make John McCain feel better!

5. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I read this today... damn it, where was this 20 years ago when I was getting out of college at 6'3" weighing a whopping 135-140 lbs? I could have been a supermodel!

6. redgrail

redgrail Senior member

Some girls are naturally thin, just like some of them are naturally fat. I never mentioned, nor advocated drug use.
    Read up on your fashion history, doofus.
    PS: Eat a sammich.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

< 100 lb for a girl is kind of a ridiculous standard... I know a handful of girls under 100 lb and they are almost exclusively Asian, and I live in LA... <shrug> nuff said.

8. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

I read this today... damn it, where was this 20 years ago when I was getting out of college at 6'3" weighing a whopping 135-140 lbs? I could have been a supermodel!

Yeah, all through (and for a while after) college I was 6'1", 125. If someone had just introduced me to Hedi, I could have been on the runway for the best Dior Homme seasons! (Um... or something. We're going to pretend that weight's the only thing they're going on [​IMG])

What I gather from women:
    - guys who are skinny can look "cool" if they dress appropriately to body type.
    - guys who are jacked look hot.

I dunno. Almost all the men that most women I know seem to gravitate toward are somewhere in between. Very low bodyfat, reasonably muscular, but not exactly "huge" or "jacked". Sometimes borderline skinny. See: Brad Pitt in Fight Club, Justin Timberlake, etc. Women who prefer really huge guys are probably just about as rare as women who prefer really skinny guys.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I remember back when girls like normal guys without big muscles and without their ribs showing. Those were the days.

10. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

What does the term "jacked" mean?

11. thinman

thinman Senior member

You'd've had to compete with me. I was the same size at that time and much better looking than you ;-). And CTGuy, I ate everything in sight, but I didn't have the discipline to lift weights regularly or get proper nutrition. My diet included 3 balanced meals a day, plus all the snacks (usually ice cream) that I wanted. Only as I got older did my weight begin to creep up, my diet changed to become more healthy, and I only recently started working out with a vengence and supplementing my diet with a 4th meal or a protein shake. The result was an additional 20 lbs. of muscle.

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

If a girl weighs more than 155, would most guys want them?

For a woman who's 5'9" that wouldn't be unusual. My girlfriend is 5'8", size 6, 145 and most would consider her average or thin. I have a female friend who is 6'0" and she's 160 and very thin.

13. BYucko

BYucko Senior member

Alright, well then never say a word about fat people. It's true people have different metabolisms, but if you want to lose weight and you have slow metabolism-- eat less/excercise more. If you are so skinny that you are at concentration camp weight all the time-- then eat more/excercise less (or at least less cardio/more weights). It's complete nonsense to tell me you can't gain a pound. Have an extra meal, have some protien powder, etc.

I'm 5"7 or 5"8.

At my highest point, when I had cottage cheese every night before bed, counted every single gram of protein, eating a bunch of chicken breasts, oats, steaks, beans, drinking milk every meal, eating 6 times a day....the whole shabangabang - I was 130 pounds.

I had given up on the whole ordeal. I was just too constantly full and went to my "regular" eating habits. When I checked my weight, it was right at 120.

I started panicking. This was definately not a weight that was good enough for me. I needed many new clothes for my new, tiny frame. I knew I would need to start going to the gym again.

Now I'm back and at around 125. I don't eat as religiously as before; I don't want to let food control my life again. But I just concluded that some people (like me...at this time) are naturally skinny.

Just some food for thought. And yes, I had little to no cardio during my bulk.

14. j

j Senior member Admin

Do skinny people ever consider manipulating their insulin/blood sugar levels to keep their body in storage mode? I don't know much about it, but all I ever hear is "eat more".

Personally, I've been working so much lately that I've been forgetting to eat and I'm down to 169. [​IMG]

15. TheRealAshland

TheRealAshland Senior member

For a woman who's 5'9" that wouldn't be unusual. My girlfriend is 5'8", size 6, 145 and most would consider her average or thin. I have a female friend who is 6'0" and she's 160 and very thin.
    I think my co worker is 6'1 and 160...shes kinda thick... but 1 thing i hate or find disgusting is a slender guy who had like alot of belly fat like a muffin top and love handles..eww...

16. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

The revenge of the ectomorphs!! I"m not one but never really wanted to look like a string bean either.

17. ken

ken Senior member

At my highest point, when I had cottage cheese every night before bed, counted every single gram of protein, eating a bunch of chicken breasts, oats, steaks, beans, drinking milk every meal, eating 6 times a day....the whole shabangabang - I was 130 pounds.

All hogwash unless you have a food journal. There are people just like you who are now much, much bigger than you. How do you think they did it?

Everybody needs to stop complaining. If you don't want to do what needs to be done to reach a goal, then fine, forget about the goal. But don't go through life pretending you gave it your all and blame your failure on uncontrollable factors. That sounds more like a politician than a human being.

18. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I miss the 90's. When men looked like men.

19. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

naw it's pretty hard for skinny dudes to gain weight.

My best friend used to be like holocaust thin but then he started lifting weights and eating like a total fucking animal... creatine, protein... sometimes 2 12 inch subs from subway... he put on like 10lbs of muscle after trying really hard and lifting a lot.

I have seen this with other friends too... some skinny guys just have to take their time and really go crazy with it to put on mass.

20. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Do skinny people ever consider manipulating their insulin/blood sugar levels to keep their body in storage mode? I don't know much about it, but all I ever hear is "eat more".

Personally, I've been working so much lately that I've been forgetting to eat and I'm down to 169. [​IMG]

Actually, there are some diabetics at my clinic - all girls - who stopped taking their insulin to LOSE weight because their body goes into starvation mode.

Not really related, I just thought it was insanely stupid.