• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Super Bowl XLII thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did Bill Belichick congratulate Eli Manning at the end of the game, or was he already in the locker room by that time?

I'm sure MC can dig up a photograph of Belichick shaking Manning's hand to show that Belichick isn't the classless jerk he appeared to be last night.

jkennett

Reaction score
"The worst quarterback to win a SB" in my opinion was Mark Rippen for the Washington Redskins.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
"The worst quarterback to win a SB" in my opinion was Mark Rippen for the Washington Redskins.

Rypien statistically had a fantastic year for the 91-92 season; my nomination would definitely go to Trent Dilfer.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Rypien statistically had a fantastic year for the 91-92 season; my nomination would definitely go to Trent Dilfer.

If memory serves, Dilfer's contract with the Ravens actually ended that year, and he had real difficulty finding a new team during the off-season. That must be fairly unprecedented for the reigning Super Bowl winning QB.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Is the benchmark overall ability or performance in the SB?

Parenthetically, I seem to recall (but am too lazy to confirm by research) that Neil O'Donnell had pretty good regular season stats. Nevertheless, I think most people realized going into the SB that he was not an A-level quarterback.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if it wasn't for Neil O'donnell throwing those two bone-headed int's, Steelers would've probably won that game. SB MVP Larry Brown really showed his all-pro mettle for seasons thereafter.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
If memory serves, Dilfer's contract with the Ravens actually ended that year, and he had real difficulty finding a new team during the off-season. That must be fairly unprecedented for the reigning Super Bowl winning QB.

How is there even a debate about this. Dilfer by a mile.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Well, if it wasn't for Neil O'donnell throwing those two bone-headed int's, Steelers would've probably won that game.

As a lifelong Steelers fan, I'm painfully aware of that, thanks.
smile.gif

UMass

Reaction score
Great game, congrads. to the Giantes! They are one tough team.

I believe Belichick got out coached. He should have given up the run totally and went four wide. Force NY to either blitz or cover. With a S always covering Moss over the top NE should have worked under with Gaffny and Welker.

Did Belichick even make adjustments at halftime?

On defense he should of put in the quicker LB Woods to rush at LE as NE pass rush was too slow with the exception of Thomas. Especially on the last drive as the NE front 7 was tired.

The one game NE made mistakes in the coaching booth and on the field was their last.
laugh.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Notwithstanding my conviction that there are no saints in professional sports (Excepting my beloved Spurs), I wanted to see the Pats win for Junior Seau and for Randy Moss in particular who seems to have really cleaned up his act for this team. Belichick and Brady, well, they've got enough rings now and I won't shed a tear for them. Then there's that perfect season thing.
Yeah, I love how people single out the Pats for videotaping signals, as if they were the only ones doing it. Lots of teams videotape the opposing teams defensive signals. (they usually do it from the booth though, not from the field). "Stealing signals" to where it would have any impact in any one game in the NFL is ridiculously hard. Why? A: Teams change signals all the time because they know their tendencies are being watched and recorded. B:To steal signals, you would have to find all of the signalers, of which there are about a half dozen or so people signaling on every play, record every play, compare it to the signals, and hope to find a pattern with one of the signalers. Then they could apply it to gameplay, and maybe be able to tell when the Jets were blitzing, when they weren't, and things like that. But if anything, it would only be effective the second game vs someone in any given season, and only assuming that the other team isn't changing their signals between game one and two. C: Why is it only defensive signals being "stolen"? The offensive plays are relayed without signaling at all. The QB gets the play directly from the booth radioed into his helmet. So, if teams are lazy and don't change their signals, the second time you play them in a season, if you record every play, record every signal, have someone try and extrapolate a correlation between the myriad of signals being shown and the defensive alignments being run, you MIGHT be able to accurately predict what the defensive line and linebackers are going to do in a situation. It wouldn't help any in regards to the linebackers, corners and safeties in coverage. The best possible scenario is that you'd have a good idea who would be blitzing and who would be dropping back on a given play. Granted, that can be a pretty big advantage - but hey - thats why people do it. There are cameras recording the opposing sideline in every stadium. Its just "illegal" to do it from the field level. I'm not trying to make excuses for the Pats, they got caught "cheating". I just find it sort of ridiculous that recording the sideline from the field is illegal, while recording it from the booth or the stands is not.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ

There was no difficulty for Dilfer, the Seahawks snapped him up within a week of him being released by the Ravens.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim,

I addressed the same points you raise in another thread. The most important rule is that you cannot look at motion video during the game.

The standard example of this rule in effect is that you can show still pictures of a coverage pre and post snap, but you cannot show a video of the safeties rotating.

There is more than one rule being broken by the pats videotaping in game. The original penalty was not harsh enough, and the pats have a tainted legacy that warrants further scrutiny.

If the rumor is true about videotaping the rams pre superbowl walk thru, that title should be stripped.

What's the NCAA term? Lack of institutional control?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads