• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hobbit move officially announced!!

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007...bbit%e2%80%9d/

Lord of the Rings writer/director Peter Jackson has come to an agreement with New Line to bury the hatchet and produce (but not write or direct) two movies from the prequel source material.

I am so excited to see this happen! The LOTR movies, though not perfect, were spectacular. I remember reading these books at a very young age and being awestruck at the feeling of authenticity in Tolkien's depiction of Middle Earth; Peter Jackson somehow managed to successfully translate this complicated story to the screen. I feel like a total nerd saying this, but I actually enjoyed watching the hours and hours of "making of" DVD documentaries almost more than the films themselves.

Anyone else looking forward to seeing what happens next (or technically, before)?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I absolutely loved the Hobbit animated movie when I was a kid. In terms of a cartoon children's movie, it was genius. As long as it's up to the same standard as the trilogy, I say the more the better. Can't wait to see what Smaug looks like.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Can't wait!

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I love the extended editions and the novels. The fact that they are making two is even better, but I must agree that they would be foolish not to have Jackson write the script with Boyens and Walsh or have him direct it. Hopefully, something will change and he will get a chance to do both.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Meh. When are they coming out with the films of The Silmarillion or The Lays of Beleriand? I suppose the latter sounds like a skin flick -- Neniel does Numenor...

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
I love the extended editions and the novels. The fact that they are making two is even better, but I must agree that they would be foolish not to have Jackson write the script with Boyens and Walsh or have him direct it. Hopefully, something will change and he will get a chance to do both.

I agree. They are slated to executive produce and therefore retain much of the creative control over the films, assuming they can work well with the director and studio. I suspect the issue is money. PJ negotiated a nice cut of the original films' take back when many thought they would lose money. The new films are guaranteed blockbusters, so the studio won't make that sort of deal and PJ probably doesn't want to put in the same level of effort without the payout.

My guesses:
  • PJ/Fran/Philippa already have a rough script which they will hand to someone else to finish
  • They pick someone they trust to direct - someone who will pretty much do what they tell him
  • They end up stepping in and doing a lot of rewriting and directing themselves anyway because it's still their baby they don't want it to get f*@%ed up

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Meh. When are they coming out with the films of The Silmarillion or The Lays of Beleriand? I suppose the latter sounds like a skin flick -- Neniel does Numenor...

One of my favorite lines from The Silmarillion:

Originally Posted by J R R Tolkien
For other foul creatures of spider form had dwelt there since the days of the delving of Angband, and she mated with them, and devoured them...Of the fate of Ungoliant, no tale tells. Yet some have said that she ended long ago, when in her uttermost famine she devoured herself at last.

For some reason that has always cracked me up.
lol8[1].gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jackson on set.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
lefty

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can't get over how much PJ sounds like Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords.

Kslim

Reaction score
I read this book so many times growing up. Glad to hear a movie is coming out. Hope they don't butcher it!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I liked the hobbit more than the trilogy.
peepwall[1].gif

I thought this was the common consensus..

No need to hide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads