The Hobbit move officially announced!!

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by warlok1965, Dec 19, 2007.

1. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007...bbit%e2%80%9d/

Lord of the Rings writer/director Peter Jackson has come to an agreement with New Line to bury the hatchet and produce (but not write or direct) two movies from the prequel source material.

I am so excited to see this happen! The LOTR movies, though not perfect, were spectacular. I remember reading these books at a very young age and being awestruck at the feeling of authenticity in Tolkien's depiction of Middle Earth; Peter Jackson somehow managed to successfully translate this complicated story to the screen. I feel like a total nerd saying this, but I actually enjoyed watching the hours and hours of "making of" DVD documentaries almost more than the films themselves.

Anyone else looking forward to seeing what happens next (or technically, before)?

2. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

I absolutely loved the Hobbit animated movie when I was a kid. In terms of a cartoon children's movie, it was genius. As long as it's up to the same standard as the trilogy, I say the more the better. Can't wait to see what Smaug looks like.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I was excited until I saw the "not write or direct" part. That kind of dimmed my hope for a LOTR like film.

4. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Can't wait!

5. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

I love the extended editions and the novels. The fact that they are making two is even better, but I must agree that they would be foolish not to have Jackson write the script with Boyens and Walsh or have him direct it. Hopefully, something will change and he will get a chance to do both.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Can't wait!

maybe a new tattoo will be inspired?

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Meh. When are they coming out with the films of The Silmarillion or The Lays of Beleriand? I suppose the latter sounds like a skin flick -- Neniel does Numenor...

8. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

I love the extended editions and the novels. The fact that they are making two is even better, but I must agree that they would be foolish not to have Jackson write the script with Boyens and Walsh or have him direct it. Hopefully, something will change and he will get a chance to do both.

I agree. They are slated to executive produce and therefore retain much of the creative control over the films, assuming they can work well with the director and studio. I suspect the issue is money. PJ negotiated a nice cut of the original films' take back when many thought they would lose money. The new films are guaranteed blockbusters, so the studio won't make that sort of deal and PJ probably doesn't want to put in the same level of effort without the payout.

My guesses:
    • PJ/Fran/Philippa already have a rough script which they will hand to someone else to finish
    • They pick someone they trust to direct - someone who will pretty much do what they tell him
    • They end up stepping in and doing a lot of rewriting and directing themselves anyway because it's still their baby they don't want it to get f*@%ed up

9. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

Meh. When are they coming out with the films of The Silmarillion or The Lays of Beleriand? I suppose the latter sounds like a skin flick -- Neniel does Numenor...

One of my favorite lines from The Silmarillion:

For other foul creatures of spider form had dwelt there since the days of the delving of Angband, and she mated with them, and devoured them...Of the fate of Ungoliant, no tale tells. Yet some have said that she ended long ago, when in her uttermost famine she devoured herself at last.

For some reason that has always cracked me up. [​IMG]

10. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

Haha, looks like things did not end up as they were planned...

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Jackson on set.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    lefty

12. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

I can't get over how much PJ sounds like Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords.

13. Kslim

Kslim Senior member

I read this book so many times growing up. Glad to hear a movie is coming out. Hope they don't butcher it!

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I liked the hobbit more than the trilogy. [​IMG]

15. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I liked the hobbit more than the trilogy. [​IMG]

I thought this was the common consensus..

No need to hide.