• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Did you see my rhino foot ashtray?

It's whickety whack.

LK, when I go to africa, I will try and shoot something for you while on safari. You have my word.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Did you see my rhino foot ashtray?

It's whickety whack.

how about an original Aristotle Onassis' "whale foreskin bar stool"?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
An African Civet Skin.
848d_1.JPG

How big is that? It looks awfully narrow to be a rug. What are you going to do with it?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
How big is that? It looks awfully narrow to be a rug. What are you going to do with it?
It's 57 inches long. The animal itself is a rather small bit of bones. It's going in front of my bed, like one of those small foot-rugs that warms your feet when you get out of bed. It'll coordinate well with the large complete tortoise-shell that hangs above my bed.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
returned the lens and got the 17-55 mm f/2.8 instead
What do you think of the lens, I'm looking at that one now as a basic walkaround lens. I think it's a bit expensive for not having sealed construction but there just aren't any other options. The tamron 17-50 f2.8 is probably just as sharp and 1/2 the cost but the no IS bugs me. Initially I was just gonna do the 17-85 due to its lower cost and level 2 IS but after seeing the distortion at 17mm and lack of depth of field with the relatively high f stop it turned me off. The f2.8 just would seem to come in handy much more often. I've read that using a filter full time will cut down on the dust entering the frame.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
What do you think of the lens, I'm looking at that one now as a basic walkaround lens. I think it's a bit expensive for not having sealed construction but there just aren't any other options. The tamron 17-50 f2.8 is probably just as sharp and 1/2 the cost but the no IS bugs me.

Initially I was just gonna do the 17-85 due to its lower cost and level 2 IS but after seeing the distortion at 17mm and lack of depth of field with the relatively high f stop it turned me off.

The f2.8 just would seem to come in handy much more often. I've read that using a filter full time will cut down on the dust entering the frame.

I placed the order for it and had it delivered to my house in MD to which I will be going this thursday (to save tax since I ordered it from J and R). My buddy has the same lens and he loves it. He thinks its the perfect/ best walk around, regular use lens for his camera. I would want IS as well. I thought the 2.8 would come in handy like you said and it holds it through out the zoom range which is awesome. I also read that the picture quality is on par with the L series lenses because it uses L series lense elements.

As for the dust Ive heard similar things about using a filter. It sucks that it doesnt have dust seals like the L series and that it costs a lot. I did not get it at first but then I regretted not buying it so I sent the other lens back and got this one...

I got it for 950 from J and R, an authorized canon dealer... So its like 200 less than MSRP and its US market.

ms244

Reaction score
4688321.jpg
Hopefully this will keep me from freezing in my garage. Why did I wait to buy one after half the country is in a snow storm, instead of six weeks ago when everyone is desperately bidding them up on the bay?
musicboohoo[1].gif
LK, where do you find these animal oddities?

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
I placed the order for it and had it delivered to my house in MD to which I will be going this thursday (to save tax since I ordered it from J and R). My buddy has the same lens and he loves it. He thinks its the perfect/ best walk around, regular use lens for his camera. I would want IS as well. I thought the 2.8 would come in handy like you said and it holds it through out the zoom range which is awesome. I also read that the picture quality is on par with the L series lenses because it uses L series lense elements.

As for the dust Ive heard similar things about using a filter. It sucks that it doesnt have dust seals like the L series and that it costs a lot. I did not get it at first but then I regretted not buying it so I sent the other lens back and got this one...

I got it for 950 from J and R, an authorized canon dealer... So its like 200 less than MSRP and its US market.

Great, definitely post some sample pics when you get it. It's L class picture quality from everything I've read although I've never seen one in person to be honest. The only things not giving it the L are the weather sealing and the EF-S.

I found a guy selling his for $820/hardly used w/hood (originally bought at B&H) because he's moving to a full frame 1D and the EF-S is useless. I almost jumped on it but really wanted it for a trip this week and don't think I'll get it in time.

I hope you got the Canon instant rebate (it's $70 on this lens) but was probably included in the price at J&R. They've been moving away from the send in rebates it seems like I used to do and moving to instant ones.

I always have wondered what the markup is on lenses and what the cost to manufacture truly is. I can't imagine a lens costing more than a couple hundred dollars to make unless they are rolling the r&d costs into the lenses. Or perhaps they just figure that professionals typically buy their L series lenses so they just price them accordingly knowing they have to buy them to make a living.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Conneservationist
I don't think "repulsive" even begins to describe this...thing.
Much as it pains me to agree with Consuela, I agree. It looks like some sort of vermin you caught digging in your trash. That said, I found that my coffee place has started stocking Kopi Luak coffee, which is the Indonesian coffee bean processed by the digestive and excretory system of the animal whose skin you have, and I confess I am curious to try a cup. No "2 girls" though.
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Not as bad as the dodo chair or elephant foot stool though. LK is whack.
Dude, don't knock the Dodo chair. I have one.
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
how about an original Aristotle Onassis' "whale foreskin bar stool"?
When one comes up on ebay, I imagine it'll be a LabelKing/SoCal2LiveCrew bidding smackdown.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Great, definitely post some sample pics when you get it. It's L class picture quality from everything I've read although I've never seen one in person to be honest. The only things not giving it the L are the weather sealing and the EF-S.

I found a guy selling his for $820/hardly used w/hood (originally bought at B&H) because he's moving to a full frame 1D and the EF-S is useless. I almost jumped on it but really wanted it for a trip this week and don't think I'll get it in time.

I hope you got the Canon instant rebate (it's $70 on this lens) but was probably included in the price at J&R. They've been moving away from the send in rebates it seems like I used to do and moving to instant ones.

I always have wondered what the markup is on lenses and what the cost to manufacture truly is. I can't imagine a lens costing more than a couple hundred dollars to make unless they are rolling the r&d costs into the lenses. Or perhaps they just figure that professionals typically buy their L series lenses so they just price them accordingly knowing they have to buy them to make a living.

Yea sure will.

In the mean while if you have not done so already:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_17-55mm/pool/

I did get the instant 70 dollar rebate with J and R.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a carbon road bike and everything else (pedals, shoes, helmet, etc.) I don't ride, but now I have a reason to.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
It cuts like a vorpal blade?

--Andre

A what now? Is that some GQGeek MMORPG term?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
A what now? Is that some GQGeek MMORPG term?

JABBERWOCKY
Lewis Carroll
(from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads