• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage military boots - some questions

Lysol

Reaction score
Having owned my last pair of combat boots when I was 19 (some 10 years ago) I'm on the hunt for a new pair. I'm looking for something identical to these below. Could someone help with a little info on what era these are from? My original boots were hand me downs from my father so I'm assuming these are Vietnam era? Does anyone know of the maker originally responsible for such boots? Corcoran? Any more info that could make my eBay search easier. Any points to sources for good vintage Army surplus boots that's not going to give me something with mesh uppers, velcro closures or Nike soles would be awesome too.

army05-1.jpg

army05-2.jpg

army05-4.jpg

army05-5.jpg

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I don't know if your town has any military bases near, but if so you can make friends and get issue stuff from the BX, I got a few pairs of BDU's that way.

Lysol

Reaction score
Well, I have no shortage of army surplus stores nearby (I actually pass Fort Dix on my way to work everyday) but unfortunately, I haven't seen a pair of older 50's/60's styles of boots in these places in ages. Stuff more along the lines of:

P_554042_1302418.JPG

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I just search the vintage shoe section of ebay for my size. Or search the normal men's shoe section in your size and just use "military" or something like that into the search engine. Not everyone selling vintage shoes/boots know exactly what they are so it's usually good to keep it a little broad.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doc Martens are the original military boot.

Just make sure you have hair on your head when you wear them.

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
I have some old stuff in 10 and 9.5 if you're interested. I have Corcoran jump boots, black and desert Altimas in summer and winter.

Max

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Doc Martens are the original military boot.

Just make sure you have hair on your head when you wear them.

Ah, no.

Doc Martens started in the late 40s. Wars had been happening for a long time before that; and armies had been issuing uniforms that included footwear for some time.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ang_kangkong
Try atthefront.com.

That's an..um...interesting website:

"1. Yes, these boots are made of leather. Not vinyl, plastic, plether, rubber, kevlar, snipeskin, recycled condoms, fetal tissue or brown toilet paper. Real live leather. Made from real dead animals....
2. Yes, they look like the pictures. Actually, we used the booties from Dragon "Action! Figures" and enlarged them with Photoshop 'cause their detail is so much more exact than ours...Aaaaagh! What the hell else would we use in the pictures? Nikes??? Jesus H.
3. If you don't know your shoe size, we can't figure it out for you.
I suppose you could cut one foot off and mail it to us...? No, your height and hat size won't help us."

laugh.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those look like Corcoran jump boots.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ang_kangkong
Try atthefront.com.

U.S.>Footwear>Service Shoes

I think those are the ones. They're close, at least.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Hey... I can donate you a pair of my boots, issued to me in the summer of 2001. They've traveled all over Pacific Ocean, Russia, Canada
smile.gif

I'm thinking of buying something new so I can let these go.

Originally Posted by Lysol
Having owned my last pair of combat boots when I was 19 (some 10 years ago) I'm on the hunt for a new pair. I'm looking for something identical to these below. Could someone help with a little info on what era these are from? My original boots were hand me downs from my father so I'm assuming these are Vietnam era? Does anyone know of the maker originally responsible for such boots? Corcoran? Any more info that could make my eBay search easier. Any points to sources for good vintage Army surplus boots that's not going to give me something with mesh uppers, velcro closures or Nike soles would be awesome too.

army05-1.jpg

army05-2.jpg

army05-4.jpg

army05-5.jpg

herzzreh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
Well, I have no shortage of army surplus stores nearby (I actually pass Fort Dix on my way to work everyday) but unfortunately, I haven't seen a pair of older 50's/60's styles of boots in these places in ages. Stuff more along the lines of:

P_554042_1302418.JPG

But this stuff is much more comfortable. Trust me... I've worn the "old" issue boots and the newer styles. The old ones (ones you're looking at) are a piece of sht. They're rough, uncomfortable, tear up your feet. Just get one of the newer styles and beat the crap out of them. Check out http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/ - they make one of the best boots out there. Matterhorn is good too. If you want to get Matterhorns, let me know, I can get them much cheaper (say $100 vs $220) than retail through work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads