• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Energy and focus vitamins/supplements

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Eating lots of fruit and drinking lots of water helps.

Vegetables are better than fruit since they create less of an insulin spike in the bloodstream.

So eat your Vegetables & Fruits, not your Fruits & Vegetables.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to GNC today and splurged on some DMAE, choline and Ginkgo. We'll see how well this works.

Lita

Reaction score
The Acai berry is nothing short of the perfect food that mankind has always been looking for. It is far better at nourishing us and keeping us younger than any possible combination of other foods on Earth, ounce per ounce.

acaiberry is an antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic, anti-mutagenic, anti-inflammatory, and can strengthen and protect the cardiovascular system and it helps in preventing cancer, having more energy, helping your heart, and more.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lita
The Acai berry is nothing short of the perfect food that mankind has always been looking for. It is far better at nourishing us and keeping us younger than any possible combination of other foods on Earth, ounce per ounce.

acaiberry is an antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic, anti-mutagenic, anti-inflammatory, and can strengthen and protect the cardiovascular system and it helps in preventing cancer, having more energy, helping your heart, and more.

Also check out Spirulina Algae, but be sure to get one grown in US/Canada/Japan.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DarkN, how did your GNC concoction work?

I ordered some Spirulina from swansonvitamins. Haven't gotten it yet, but if it works well, I might add chlorella to my supplements as well.

woadie

Reaction score
I lift everyday about an hour, and am a college student as well. While I probably don't sleep as much as I need to, I have a pretty healthy diet (never have caffeine, recently got on the chicken/rice meal plan). As far as supplements, I take whey protein, and a multivitamin. I'm pretty wary of all those weird pills, powders, etc., but recently switched my multivitamin to a brand called animal pak, which my friend recommended to me. I know some fellow gym rats that take it (it's the most popular "active" multi), and was a bit scared by the fact that it's 11 big pills/day, and is marketed towards bodybuilders and stuff. However, I feel a more energized and my workouts have definitely gotten more intense. again, it looks pretty hardcore, but having switched to it a week ago, i'm so far surprised by its benefits.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
I've read that taking coq10 pills daily can help with energy and tiredness. Is there any truth to that?

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to recommend anything without knowing what the rest of your supplement and macronutrient intake looks like and what your workout schedule is. None of the supplements you purchased at the GNC are specifically targetted towards workouts/weightlifting, however, and are more for mental focus in general (read: memory, alertness, etc. also referred to as nootropics, though this sounds much too sci-fi for my tastes). If you need to get pumped for the gym you're going to need something completely different.
On a more serious note, some studies on DMAE raise safety concerns, and if I were you I would read up on this supplement before continuing to take it. Supplements are serious business (ie some are downright dangerous), and if you're going to take them, it's definately worth doing the research.
Additionally, if you have a normal amount of beef, chicken and egg yolks in your diet, you should be getting enough choline as it is.
This thread is kind of old by now, but I would be interested in hearing how you think your concoction worked out. If the problem persists, feel free to contact me for more advice (though please include the aforementioned information).
Good luck to you!

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
more for mental focus in general (read: memory, alertness, etc. also referred to as nootropics, though this sounds much too sci-fi for my tastes).

Has anyone here ever noticed any positive effect from these? After reading a Slate author's story about writing non-stop for 12 hours a day on a little provigil, I recently went through a period of experimenting with nootropic drugs.

I took a number of the more questionable but uncontrolled nootropics that are often discussed on the Internet (peracitram, hydergene, selegine) for a couple months but did not see any effect.

More surprisingly, when I later tried drugs like adrafinal, modafinal and ritalin - even in high does - that are almost universally said to turn you into a hyperfocused robot, I again failed to perceive any effect. I had no trouble going to sleep a couple hours after taking 1200mg of adrafinal, and felt no ups or downs from 20mg of ritalin.

If anyone saw a change in my personality or deportment, it was never mentioned.

I'm not sure if I'm especially bad at feeling (and enjoying) the effects, or if they are greatly exaggerated.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was interested in nootropics a while back, and experimented with acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid, the two ingredients in Juvenon.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've pretty much run the gamut of supplements and can say what has worked best for me bar none:

spirulina and/or chlorella

maca (this is some hardcore ****)

As a matter of fact, I'm about to pop 10 grams of spirulina caps to get myself going for work.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
If you haven't a doc cooperative enough to write you a prescription for Modafinil (ProVigil), then head to bulk nutrition and buy a tub of Sulbutiamine. 600-800mg in the AM, washed down with a few cups of green tea (the Japanese powdered stuff is best.) Possibility of tolerance building up, though, so taking it only two or three times a week is best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads