• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Handlethevibe

Reaction score
Are they trying to turn Elizabeth into some Indiana Jones franchise?
laugh.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Going to see it in an hour!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, this movie has been getting really bad reviews. 24% positive on Rotten Tomatoes
crackup[1].gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Had a friend who went to the early screening before he joined up to see Michael Clayton. He said it was horribly boring and the acting wasn't nearly as strong as the first film.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I liked it well enough. But the movie clearly was aiming for lofty heights it didn't reach. My chief complaint was that they really layered on the Harlequin Romance, even though the actual history was quite interesting enough. And, of course, at the end they neglect to say what became of the real people. Might have made for a more compelling ending if the film mentioned some of the less pleasant fates.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sir Francis Drake isn't even listed in the credits on imdb. Does he not appear in the movie?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
No, not that I recall.

frown.gif
He's like the best part...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Indeed, it's not like he has any importance in English history.
baldy[1].gif

Jon.

Yes, he is an important murderer, slave trader and plunderer. He was one of the men who led the massacre of Rathlin Island, in which hundreds of Scotch-Irish men, women and children were slaughtered.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Yes, he is an important murderer, slave trader and plunderer. He was one of the men who led the massacre of Rathlin Island, in which hundreds of Scotch-Irish men, women and children were slaughtered.

Nonetheless, he was an important part of English history, just like Michael Collins (ahem, terrorist) was an important part of Irish history.

Jon.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Nonetheless, he was an important part of English history, just like Michael Collins (ahem, terrorist) was an important part of Irish history.

Jon.

LOL, calling Michael Collins a terrorist is hilarious.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
LOL, calling Michael Collins a terrorist is hilarious.

Dude you're a regular, white bread american. Get over it. You're not Irish.

This film dissapointed me. I was expecting the greatness of the first film. This one was like Braveheart... it was better than a lot of what passes for film, but it was still very much an overly glossy production, with way too many of these excessively "ceremonial" scenes... Elizabeth standing by herself with the camera doing like a 360 degree panning shot, her arms outstretched with palms upward turned, light hitting her just perfectly...

It was just really, really dumb. They do mention Drake in the movie. When they are strategizing how to scatter the armada, Raleigh speaks to Drake, but you never see him. Also, at one point Elizabeth refers to Francis. Both are quite small, but I was on the alert for his character.

I don't fault Blanchett for the hollywood writing and over indulgent cinematography. She's an excellent actress and for me, did a great job here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads