• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tokyo Slim's top fives

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster

...but I must kill you anyway.
fight[1].gif

I'll hold his arms while you poke him in the eye with a sharp stick.

Any of these lists - modern noir, Nicholson movies, LA movies (haven't done that one yet) - on which Chinatown is not number one are deeply flawed.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
My list:

1. Memento
2. L.A. Confidential
3. The Last Seduction
4. Blood Simple
5. A Simple Plan

Chinatown is overrated.
peepwall[1].gif

Good calls on Memento and The Last Seduction. I wouldn't put A Simple Plan in my top five, but it was a solid movie. Also, if you've never read the book, I recommend it. Just when you think it can't get any more depressing, it does.

I shall ignore your comment regarding Chinatown.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'll hold his arms while you poke him in the eye with a sharp stick.

As you should have gathered from my choice of smiley, it's not a STICK, it's an Ã
00a9.png
00a9.png
e. You are obviously poorly bred. Even if you do have good taste in film.

Do the LA movies! I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Best L.A. movies. Just five is pretty much impossible, and I'm bound to forget something, but here goes: 1. Chinatown - creation myth 2. Blade Runner - the dystopic vision 3. Sunset Boulevard - the classic Hollywood movie 4. The Long Goodbye - the classic noir novel transposed onto the 1970's Hollywood Hills 5. Valley Girl - going way off the charts with this one, but it's one of the best teen movies ever, a brilliant Romeo and Juliet story that holds up incredibly well, and it's SO L.A.! The conflict between the hip punk rock city kids and the suburban Vals is such a huge part of growing up in Southern California in the 70's and 80's. I know there are a million other candidates for this list: Mullholland Drive, Short Cuts, The Player, Rebel Without a Cause, Menace 2 Society, Big Wednesday, Double Indemnity, Shampoo, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, etc, etc, etc. It's a painful list to make.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Best L.A. movies. Just five is pretty much impossible, and I'm bound to forget something, but here goes: 1. Chinatown - creation myth 2. Blade Runner - the dystopic vision 3. Sunset Boulevard - the classic Hollywood movie 4. The Long Goodbye - the classic noir novel transposed onto the 1970's Hollywood Hills 5. Valley Girl - going way off the charts with this one, but it's one of the best teen movies ever, a brilliant Romeo and Juliet story that holds up incredibly well, and it's SO L.A.! The conflict between the hip punk rock city kids and the suburban Vals is such a huge part of growing up in Southern California in the 70's and 80's. I know there are a million other candidates for this list: Mullholland Drive, Short Cuts, The Player, Rebel Without a Cause, Menace 2 Society, Big Wednesday, Double Indemnity, Shampoo, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, etc, etc, etc. It's a painful list to make.
LA Story, Mullholland Falls, Nick of Time, LA Confidential, Rocketeer...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
LA Story, Mullholland Falls, Nick of Time, LA Confidential, Rocketeer...
Less Than Zero. I, thankfully, cannot say that it mirrored my LA experience, but it wasn't that far off.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good list of L.A. movies. Definitely agree on Blade Runner and Chinatown, the others are at least debatable.

Chinatown is also one of the 5 greatest movie posters of all time:

The rest of the list:
2. Breakfast at Tiffany's

3. Sullivan's Travels

4. Vertigo

5. Straw Dogs (the black and white one, with Hoffman's face in closeup)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Less Than Zero. I, thankfully, cannot say that it mirrored my LA experience, but it wasn't that far off.
At least you didn't say "Day of the Locust." Top 5 musicians/bands out of the LA area: 1) Beach Boys 2) NWA (and the solo careers spawned) 3) The Doors 4) Bad Religion 5) Beck Mentionables: Santana, RHCP, Love, Sly & the Family Stone, Stone Temple Pilots, Flogging Molly, X, The Cramps, NOFX

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least you didn't say "Day of the Locust." Top 5 musicians/bands out of the LA area: 1) Beach Boys 2) NWA (and the solo careers spawned) 3) The Doors 4) Bad Religion 5) Beck Mentionables: Santana, RHCP, Love, Sly & the Family Stone, Stone Temple Pilots, Flogging Molly, X, The Cramps, NOFX
Jane's Addiction? Red Hot Chili Peppers? Arthur Lee, RIP. Whodini, in honor of your handle, and Tokyo Slim, #5's for you, best early 80s hip-hop/breakdancing music groups: 5. Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick 4. Whodini 3. Afrikaa Bambataa and the Soul Sonic Force 2. Run-DMC 1. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five Honorables: Dr. Dre and the World Class Wreckin' Crew (NWA before NWA), Ice-T, the Boogie Boys, The Fat Boys, UTFO, Kurtis Blow, LL Cool J

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Jane's Addiction? Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Arthur Lee, RIP.

Whodini, in honor of your handle, and Tokyo Slim, #5's for you, best early 80s hip-hop/breakdancing music groups:

5. Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick
4. Whodini
3. Afrikaa Bambataa and the Soul Sonic Force
2. Run-DMC
1. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

Honorables: Dr. Dre and the World Class Wreckin' Crew (NWA before NWA), Ice-T, the Boogie Boys, The Fat Boys, UTFO, Kurtis Blow, LL Cool J

The Five Slickest Ricks
1. Rick James
2. Slick Rick
3. Ric(k) Flair
4. Rick Ross
5. Rick Springfield (although his lamentations about Jessie's girl were somewhat pre-emo. You're a soap opera star and you can't take a girl from a guy named "jessie"? Needs to sharpen up his cockblocking skills)

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At least you didn't say "Day of the Locust."

Top 5 musicians/bands out of the LA area:
1) Beach Boys
2) NWA (and the solo careers spawned)
3) The Doors
4) Bad Religion
5) Beck

Mentionables: Santana, RHCP, Love, Sly & the Family Stone, Stone Temple Pilots, Flogging Molly, X, The Cramps, NOFX

You named some real stinker up there and left out Van Halen, The Eagles, Guns And Roses (and the whole hair metal scene, which probably underrated because they wrote a ton of great pop songs), Los Lobos, The Bobby Fuller Four, Queens of the Stone Age, Black Flag, The Germs, The Circle Jerks, Thelonious Monster, and the best of all L.A. bands - X.

Plus, Sly & the Family Stone were from Oakland.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
The Five Slickest Ricks 1. Rick James 2. Slick Rick 3. Ric(k) Flair 4. Rick Ross 5. Rick Springfield (although his lamentations about Jessie's girl were somewhat pre-emo. You're a soap opera star and you can't take a girl from a guy named "jessie"? Needs to sharpen up his cockblocking skills)
Top Five Funniest Dave Chappelle characters: 1. Prince ("Shoot the J. Shoot it!") 2. Rick James 3. Tyrone Biggums 4. The Black Klan Member 5. The Black George Bush

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^
Rick James has to be #1, and I don't think that's even high enough. That's the only thing on my Tivo that's saved permanently.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
Rick James has to be #1, and I don't think that's even high enough. That's the only thing on my Tivo that's saved permanently.

I knew there would be many dissenters, but I feel the Prince sketch is superior. The part where he dunks and takes his hands off the rim, only to hover there and then slowly float down kills me absolutely every time.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I knew there would be many dissenters, but I feel the Prince sketch is superior. The part where he dunks and takes his hands off the rim, only to hover there and then slowly float down kills me absolutely every time.

+1

Game... blouses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads