• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal advise - item damaged during alteration

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those of you that advise there's nothing without a writing . . . what legal theory is this based on?

While a writing (in our man Friday's interest) would certainly make things easier, why are we throwing our hands up without one?

Minkous

Reaction score
If taking the matter to the courts is not an option or you simply dont wish to go that route. Recommend to him that he either pays for your trouble or you wish to report him to the better business beaurea. I know my parents have used the better business beaurea as a form of leverage in certain cases.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Minkous
If taking the matter to the courts is not an option or you simply dont wish to go that route. Recommend to him that he either pays for your trouble or you wish to report him to the better business beaurea. I know my parents have used the better business beaurea as a form of leverage in certain cases.

Bureau. Sorry but you butchered it twice
tounge.gif

I sympathize with you OP. That would've been a pretty cool ass bracelet.. I wouldn't pay this schmo.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are people who buy old tortoise shell items to turn them into things like guitar picks. I am not a fan.

In fact, I do not condone turning things into other things that they were never intended to be, especially with luxury exotic-skinned goods.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
best thing to do is sit the guy down, try not to choke him, and explain to him what your expectations were and that the work that has been produced is sub par

at this point it would also be good to have something there as an example of what the workmanship you were expecting would look like, and ask whether there is scope for the piece to be fixed and after that you can negotiate on price...

what I wouldn't do is walk straight in there and starting talking about legal action and compensation as it will only put him on the back foot and less likely to work with you towards a solution

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
The belt was a crocodile Collier du Chien type. It would fit a 72 waist(!), hence it might have been difficult to sell on eBay and my girlfriend loves the Collier du Chien bracelets. After assessing the possibilities I thought it would be a smart idea to have it turned into two bracelets, once Collier du Chien and one plain crocodile.

How big are the bracelets, and how big are the remains? Seems like a lot of belt to make two bracelets. Is there not enough left for a second attempt?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
... it would also be good to have something there as an example of what the workmanship you were expecting would look like...

Ideally, this is how you should have approached him when looking to have the work done. Without something specific as an example of what you were looking to have him produce, it is merely his word against yours as to whether he produced what you asked for. As to the quality of the work...unless there are obvious gaps or frayed edges or the like...it will be difficult to prove that it is substandard. Number of stitches per inch may not mean much to a local magistrate...even a European one.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
How big are the bracelets, and how big are the remains? Seems like a lot of belt to make two bracelets. Is there not enough left for a second attempt?

That's what I am thinking. He said it's a size 72 belt. Seems to me like there would be a hell of a lot left over to give it a second attempt.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
There are people who buy old tortoise shell items to turn them into things like guitar picks. I am not a fan.

In fact, I do not condone turning things into other things that they were never intended to be, especially with luxury exotic-skinned goods.

can I ask why not? Seems a pretty arbitrary position to take... like "I do not condone hemming trousers" almost.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can see where LabelKing is coming from on this - it's a slight breach of Ruskin's Lamp of Memory, to take an architectural analogy. In this case, I don't think I'd agree. I have more sympathy with the tortoiseshell example he used because there's an age aspect there - the products there emanate from another era before restrictions were put in place and so I feel it's appropriate to preserve them in their original design. But this is a modern item, being reworked into another modern item, so I can't feel any sort of aesthetic need to preserve the original shape and form.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
can I ask why not? Seems a pretty arbitrary position to take... like "I do not condone hemming trousers" almost.

Hemming trousers is a perfectly natural thing to do whereas going about and literally destroying an item for another purpose is not "natural".

For example, I also have a strict originality policy for old buildings and their interiors. I simply don't understand how someone can preserve the exterior and than do some cheap shoddy interior "overhaul" on the original, usually much more attractive interior.

It seems a shame to destroy the original craftsmanship for the substitution of probably inferior work.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh! Like cows were intended to be shoes?
confused.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems a shame to destroy the original craftsmanship for the substitution of probably inferior work.

Ok, that makes sense to me.

But, for the sake of argument, what if you know with 100% certainty that the second time around, the craftsmanship will be superior? Would you object to, say, a visionary sculptor using shopping-carts as a raw material? I guess my question is where you draw the line. Is this an absolutist "preservation of anything that has been designed and produced in the past" principle?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
confused.gif

laugh.gif

I agree with Holdfast, as the belt is not an 'old world' item then the re-making of it is fine ...

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
confused.gif

This is a way pithier version of the basic question I rendered in a long, unweildy post above. I salute you Monty
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads