• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HickeyStyle, ouch

djs488

Reaction score
So, I ordered two oxfords from hickeystyle.com last week in a size medium (white and white/blue striped). They were on sale for $59, so I thought it was a reasonable deal from I had heard. Well, they just came in today. The cotton is very thick and soft, significantly nicer than, say, a RL Polo oxford. However, in my stupidity, I neglected to notice that they were 3/4 placket. Now, I can't decide if this looks rediculous untucked or not. Suggestions? Also, they raised the price of the shirts to ~$120 a piece just after I ordered, so I'm not sure if I could exchange them for any full placket shirts. If it's worth it to anyone I could take measurements of the M, but what's the deal with 3/4 placket? Thanks.

djs488

Reaction score
problem solved, thanks. I never thought of that.
sarcasm.gif

what do you guys think about wearing them untucked?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Though I feel the 3/4 placket thing is a silly gimmick, I wouldn't feel ridiculous wearing it untucked (though I havent seen their shirts in person). Measurements (and pics) of the shirts would be great, since I considered buying some of their shirts amonth or so ago but didn't cause I knew nothing of their fit.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djs488
So, I ordered two oxfords from hickeystyle.com last week in a size medium (white and white/blue striped). They were on sale for $59, so I thought it was a reasonable deal from I had heard. Well, they just came in today. The cotton is very thick and soft, significantly nicer than, say, a RL Polo oxford. However, in my stupidity, I neglected to notice that they were 3/4 placket. Now, I can't decide if this looks rediculous untucked or not. Suggestions? Also, they raised the price of the shirts to ~$120 a piece just after I ordered, so I'm not sure if I could exchange them for any full placket shirts. If it's worth it to anyone I could take measurements of the M, but what's the deal with 3/4 placket? Thanks.

It's part of the Americana aka ye old time trend. 3/4 placket shirts used to be quite common.

wiru

Reaction score
strange that they raised the prices on items that already weren't selling. wonder if this means the days of the absurdly large hickey discount are over?

anyway, i wouldn't worry too much about the placket. why would it look ridiculous? the shirt's just sewn where the last button would be. 99% of the people you encounter won't even notice, and those that do won't think anything of it.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah weren't the sales shirts like 59.00, now they are 118? I consider picking some up at the 59 price point, but just was not sure about the sizing. Measurements be greatly appreciated.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I havn't no idea what your guys are talking about, can I get a picture or something?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I'm sorry, but I havn't no idea what your guys are talking about, can I get a picture or something?
Without pix... The placket we are speaking of is the row of buttons down the front of a dress shirt. Most dress shirts button completely down, so that the front pieces separate. Some very old dress shirts, like some olden night shirts for sleeping, only button down about three quarters of the way, say to the bottom of the ribs. So you have to put on the shirt over your head like a polo shirt. I liked the hickey shirts I saw at the H-F sample sale -- the one in their style rooms on 5th Ave, not the big sale. At this sample sale they were about $40 but this only happens once or twice a year.

wiru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by irbe
not sure about the sizing. Measurements be greatly appreciated.

i think they run a bit large. i have have a couple sized small. the neck is 16 inches (button to buttonhole), chest 41, sleeves 26, and shoulders 16 1/4

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fail to see the problem....instead of having just an oxford shirt, you got a great quality, EG-resembling one...
Great deal imo.

titojackson

Reaction score
I was considering ordering some but couldnt get accurate measurements for the medium in time (see my question in the quick question thread) but I added a bunch of shirts in my cart before hand. They are still registering as $59. Which sucks, considering I now know I'd probably take a small. Oh well.

djs488

Reaction score
That's alright, I found the size medium too large and they will allow me to exchange it for a small for next extra cost even though the price has gone up. So you could still order the mediums and then just exchange them. Or maybe call just after you ordered to exchange them, so they don't have to ship them out to you first. I'll post precise measurements of the mediums tonight when I have time.

flyjordan

Reaction score
So on the topic of Hickey, how do their shirts fit? I am 6'3'', with a 44 inch chest and a 33 inch waist. I like my clothes to fit, but not to be too tight and i like to wear shirts both tucked in, and untucked....... Would I need a large or an XL?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads