• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fixing eyes, anybody done it?

Condor

Reaction score
I am glad to hear that everybody had good results.
Those other sites scared me to death.
I was worried there would be 10 people here
'lasik runined my eyes now i'm on disability'

As it stands now, I'm still waiting on my trial set.

I actually do not mind contacts at all.

I just DO need to be able to see.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to sell lazers for eye surgery. There is a small chance of screwing you up. if they do, what that usually means is a series of surgeries to fix the problem - it is almost unheard of to create a problem that can't be fixed.

that said - watching eye surgury is a lot frekier than watching heart surgury, very gross.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I used to sell lazers for eye surgery. There is a small chance of screwing you up. if they do, what that usually means is a series of surgeries to fix the problem - it is almost unheard of to create a problem that can't be fixed.

that said - watching eye surgury is a lot frekier than watching heart surgury, very gross.

Whenever I try to picture Laser Eye Surgery in my head, I get the image from "A Clockwork Orange", when they were making him watch the movies. Kinda' freaks me out.
confused.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm just flat out ******* terrified of this ****, and have no problems with glasses. Lasers in the eye, Christ!

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jenaimarr
Pros: Waking up at any hour and being able to see the clock. Another plus is having a cleaner rim around my toilet.
My contacts are allowed to be kept in for up to 30 day periods with no need to clean them. I sleep in them with no issues.
biggrin.gif
My dad got corrective surgery and it did work for a period of time, however he is now back to having to wear bifocals. He said the entire process was a huge waste looking back. He did however have the surgery a good 10 or so years ago, when it first became popular, so I'm sure the process is somewhat different now, and wouldn't doubt results are much better now adays.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Jenaimarr;555651 said:
Cons: LASIK is perhaps the most terrifying procedure you'll ever go through. You're completely awake and your eyes are numbed but not paralyzed so when they're cutting into your cornea, the doctor informs you not to move your eyeballs (your eyelids are held open clockwork orange style). I believe the newer wavefront procedures alleviate this problem. Getting back to the gore, while you don't feel pain, you feel the sensation of the doctor's blade-like contraption sawing into your cornea (because of the vaccuum suction placed onto the flap, you're completely blind at this point so all you see is blackness while your eyes are open).

Next thing you know, the corneal flap is flipped open. Because of the change in light diffraction between your cornea (or lackthereof) and the liquid aqueas humuor inside your eyeball, when the corneal flap is flipped opened, it appears as if you're under water. Next, the doctor shoots a frickin laserbeam into your half opened eyeball to reshape your lens (all the while the smell of burning tissue permeates around your eyeball). To finish, the "doctor" just flips the flap closed and tells you not to rub your eyes for the next 48 hours else you'll go blind. Apparently the eyeball is self-sealing. Just needs time to heal. The next 24 hours are going to be excruciating pain. It feels like your eyeballs are on fire and someone is pissing denatured alcohol into the scorching coals in your eye socket. QUOTE]

eek.gif

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad

Cons: LASIK is perhaps the most terrifying procedure you'll ever go through. You're completely awake and your eyes are numbed but not paralyzed so when they're cutting into your cornea, the doctor informs you not to move your eyeballs (your eyelids are held open clockwork orange style). I believe the newer wavefront procedures alleviate this problem. Getting back to the gore, while you don't feel pain, you feel the sensation of the doctor's blade-like contraption sawing into your cornea (because of the vaccuum suction placed onto the flap, you're completely blind at this point so all you see is blackness while your eyes are open).

Next thing you know, the corneal flap is flipped open. Because of the change in light diffraction between your cornea (or lackthereof) and the liquid aqueas humuor inside your eyeball, when the corneal flap is flipped opened, it appears as if you're under water. Next, the doctor shoots a frickin laserbeam into your half opened eyeball to reshape your lens (all the while the smell of burning tissue permeates around your eyeball). To finish, the "doctor" just flips the flap closed and tells you not to rub your eyes for the next 48 hours else you'll go blind. Apparently the eyeball is self-sealing. Just needs time to heal. The next 24 hours are going to be excruciating pain. It feels like your eyeballs are on fire and someone is pissing denatured alcohol into the scorching coals in your eye socket.

eek.gif

Hilarious. You should be on the Counsel Against Corrective Eye Surgery. I've seen this procedure done, and this is an accurate depiction.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I used to sell lazers for eye surgery. There is a small chance of screwing you up. if they do, what that usually means is a series of surgeries to fix the problem - it is almost unheard of to create a problem that can't be fixed. that said - watching eye surgury is a lot frekier than watching heart surgury, very gross.
I asked my doctor about Lasik. I was 30 at the time. He told me about night vision deterioration and far-sightedness by age 40. Basically, he said, I'd have about 10 years of perfect vision, but probably have more trouble seeing at night (I already do) and then have to wear reading glasses. He told me he had one patient who went and got it done without talking to him beforehand. The machine malfunctioned and shaved away the patient's cornea. She had to have emergency surgery to have it salvaged and replaced. He also pointed out that since they remove the top layer of your cornea, any later damage you might suffer could cause permanent scarring. I suffered two scratches to my cornea when I lived in W. Africa, and since I travel a lot, I decided I didn't want to risk this. It DOES render your eyes more vulnerable to permanent damage, and that's definitely something you should factor in. It's not that hard to scratch a cornea--a pebble of sand on a windy day at the beach, as an example. Another option, the one I keep waiting on, is a semi-permanent contact: they cut a single incision into the side of the cornea, slide in a contact, and let it heal over. This adjusts the curvature of your existing cornea, and it's also removable later. I was also reading about the contact lenses that adjust the eyes through use. I'm interested in that: it was just approved by the FDA, which is good and bad. I'm 35. I'm not going to do LASIK. I'll live with the poor options I have right now. I am, however, considering switching from soft 3-month disposable back to RGP lenses (fewer bacterial problems and better eye health). Best for your eyes is glasses. Condor, what kind of lenses do you wear? I have astigmatism, though my vision's a little better than yours. Currently I wear Toric lenses, but I think I'm going to go back to RGP's, which is what I used to wear.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You forgot the smell of burning flesh as the surgeon shoots fricking laser beams into your eyes. That's why they give you the Xanax. Or the Thorazine. I can't remember which
smile.gif

On a serious note, the decrease in night-vision is something to think about, as is the starring effect of lights at night. The latter faded for me after a couple of years; my night-vision makes it a little more difficult to drive at night.

Originally Posted by Renault78law
Hilarious. You should be on the Counsel Against Corrective Eye Surgery. I've seen this procedure done, and this is an accurate depiction.

lawyerdad;667541 said:

Next thing you know, the corneal flap is flipped open. Because of the change in light diffraction between your cornea (or lackthereof) and the liquid aqueas humuor inside your eyeball, when the corneal flap is flipped opened, it appears as if you're under water. Next, the doctor shoots a frickin laserbeam into your half opened eyeball to reshape your lens (all the while the smell of burning tissue permeates around your eyeball). To finish, the "doctor" just flips the flap closed and tells you not to rub your eyes for the next 48 hours else you'll go blind. Apparently the eyeball is self-sealing. Just needs time to heal. The next 24 hours are going to be excruciating pain. It feels like your eyeballs are on fire and someone is pissing denatured alcohol into the scorching coals in your eye socket. QUOTE]

eek.gif

kakemono

Reaction score
when i read the thread title, I was thinking this would be about natural ways to improve vision - such as excersizing your eyes and whatnot.

fail
frown.gif

amiestilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Another option, the one I keep waiting on, is a semi-permanent contact: they cut a single incision into the side of the cornea, slide in a contact, and let it heal over.

Currently I wear Toric lenses, but I think I'm going to go back to RGP's, which is what I used to wear.

I wear RGP's as well. Far better vision than soft lenses, for my extreme near-sightedness anyway, but man are they uncomfortable after a long day! Constant re-wetting, they easily pop out and I find my eyes are also easily irritated by dust and wind (especially when cycling).

When I looked into Lasik I was diagnosed with "thin corneas" by several doctors so I am not a candidate for that. I am currently considering the lens-implantation surgery but a bit apprehensive, as you may imagine.

Has anyone had the lens-implantation procedure done? I'd be very interested in your comments.

TheRealAshland

Reaction score
i would rather jus wear glasses for the rest of my life... its way safer, i would never wanna take a chance with somthing like that .. i know people who have done it and have had great results and even have had it a second time and have had even greater results,... i love wearing glasses.. id rather do that....for the next 70 or 80 years of my life

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics