• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Cordovan Longwings

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
cordovan Nettleton saddle shoes

What's the word on Nettleton? I don't know anything about them other than occasionally seeing something mention having a pair. Is this an older brand that no longer exists?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
What's the word on Nettleton? I don't know anything about them other than occasionally seeing something mention having a pair. Is this an older brand that no longer exists?

Yes, went under in the 1980s after more than a century in business.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a thread discussing Nettleton: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=nettleton As Doc states they went out of business in the '80's. They were briefly resurrected and are now defunct once again.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
They are like Budapesters.

That would be to simple. Budapester = shark mouth

These are more like "smart round", or whatever you fellows call them.

Don't forget that the 360 degree welt adds sthg to them.

Still the heel is very bulbuos...

PS: Denim without stacking, TGIF
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
...but these are just substantial, and I like that a lot.

You are on a good way. Don't stop rolling this direction.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the plasticky bit is what concerns me,

Obviously, this belongs to their finnishing.

The cords I have seen e.g. Vass, Ludwig Reiter, have a dull surface. You know that shell is on the reverse side of the hide, so probably there is a difference in apppearance.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
That would be to simple. Budapester = shark mouth

These are more like "smart round", or whatever you fellows call them.

Don't forget that the 360 degree welt adds sthg to them.

Still the heel is very bulbuos...

PS: Denim without stacking, TGIF
smile.gif

I miswrote. I should have said "like Budapesters, you either get them or you don't". Neither shoe is for the person who wants only sleek shoe lines. I just can't stack. It isn't me
frown.gif
. It would be like you in G&Gs.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
Guys, here are the longwings i got:

again , photos dont do justice.
photos just present the 2dimensional. you may think. eh.

in person the 3 dimensional puts this shoe in perspective and it is magnificent

Awesome selection. I've seen these in person at the Alden shop and Brian is right. At retail, I definitely believe Alden is worth the extra $$ over AE, across the board and without question.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just can't stack. It isn't me
frown.gif

Without words, just great.
bigstar[1].gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
These glorious Alden Longwings look identical to a pair of vintage Florsheim shell longwings I just sold except that the Florsheim soles are 1/2 inch thick. Are the Aldens similarly thick?

Is it me, or is there a consensus that the smaller the size, the thicker the look of the sole on a longwing?

or How many bites does it take to get to the center of...

again, you have to see the aldens in person. in photo, the shoes all may look comparable., but the solidity and beauty comes through much more in the hand and foot.
i believe the aldens are much mor decadent than the florsheims, no offense meant.
the soles are about 3/8 inch thick. thick enough for a double sole, to tell you the truth, taking a look at it in person, i think it will last a LIFETIME

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Nice Brian. I am starting to think that if I had it all to do over again, I would buy nothing but Alden shells. Well, not all, but they would be a major part of my rotation.

wow. Matt ,nice to see you agreeing with me once in a blue moon
smile.gif

Lee, I love the cordovan, not per se, but how it makes the shoes substantial and thick and the detail design and leather soul and storm welt. everything about it is hefty and solid and beautiful.

ive seen cordovan shoes from other makes before, and none has moved me this much as these longwings from Alden.
so it is not just the fact they are cordovan.

to others,
some won't think the longwing gunboats are sexy or beautiful.
there are different tastes and different types of shoes. different genres. we can embrace all styles cant we? why do we have to be absolute and say , i hate that , because i like this. for me, i can like this. and like that.
there is enough time in life and space in the closet to have a pair of beautiful ornate gunboats.
not just all sleek , light, elegant english business shoes.

it is fine if you dont like it because it is not your taste.

but to not understand the shoe because it does not look elegant like every other shoe in your wardrobe ...that is what i am addressing

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I miswrote. I should have said "like Budapesters, you either get them or you don't". Neither shoe is for the person who wants only sleek shoe lines.

I just can't stack. It isn't me
frown.gif

What's stacking?

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
Lee, I love the cordovan, not per se, but how it makes the shoes substantial and thick and the detail design and leather soul and storm welt. everything about it is hefty and solid and beautiful.

ive seen cordovan shoes from other makes before, and none has moved me this much as these longwings from Alden.

Brian, I think it's wonderful the way, when you appreciate something, you give it your whole heart. A rare quality, sure to bring you much joy in life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads