• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Anyone Else Sick to Death of Irony/Quirk???

dokelroth

Reaction score
Augusto:

I can't shake the image of you with a rose in front of a mirror. I see you pulling off petals one by one saying "oh how are thee so deep and sensitive, let me count the ways". Guys like you went to my high school in 1984, they always had diaries and read epic poems. You are a cliche making fun of a cliche.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth
Augusto:

I can't shake the image of you with a rose in front of a mirror. I see you pulling off petals one by one saying "oh how are thee so deep and sensitive, let me count the ways". Guys like you went to my high school in 1984, they always had diaries and read epic poems. You are a cliche making fun of a cliche.

Where the hell do you get this **** from? Anyone who has been on this board more than three months could tell that my personality is quite the opposite...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^^ This thread contains some of the best putdowns I've ever seen. That alone justifies its existence.

Yep. If I had to summarize the thread, I would use this tiny piece of art:
spanking.gif

Augusto86

Reaction score
Sadly, I can't argue with that...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I find both ends of the spectrum pretty annoying - including the "ironic/quirky" crowd and the people that are 18 going on 50.

dokelroth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth
Augusto:

Originally Posted by Augusto86
Where the hell do you get this **** from? Anyone who has been on this board more than three months could tell that my personality is quite the opposite...

Really?

I find myself retreating to things that most other people find insufferably serious or un-ironic - epic poetry, classic literature, my photography, romance, diary writing, a drinking habit, and Dire Straits songs.

Anyone else?

+1

But from my - fairly historically aware - perspective, it is really at its over-saturated peak right now

It's when I take my camera and make my pictures...? Unclear?

That's the bloody point.

I'm trying to watch more and more classic movies.

One thing I never do is pretend not to look down on some people. I have always admitted my own elitism, for better or (more usually) worse. I've just reached a saturation point of ironic crappiness(sp?) and thought I might discuss it here.

I was mostly referring to the two new dudes with the sub-100 post counts. I do fancy myself an intellectual, FWIW.

I'm sorry that wanting to take things seriously is pretentious to you...

QED

[/thread]

Augusto86

Reaction score
Yes, that's me. Pleasure to meet you!

I can't help but think that some of my comments might have struck uncomfortably close to some people to generate this firestorm of backlash which did admittedly kick ******.

Either that or I am really an insufferable ass...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Augusto, you sort of remind me of those college people who take themselves very seriously and then use something like Schopenhauer to justify it; or the Sorrows of Young Werther.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Augusto, you sort of remind me of those college people who take themselves very seriously and then use something like Schopenhauer to justify it.

As opposed to non-college people who drop Schopenhauer allusions? Do the Gilmore Girls make such erudite allusions? My college friends were more likely to quote Bob Dylan (the really self-important ones) or Spinal Tap (the not-quite-as-self-important ones) than Schopenhauer.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Augusto - question:

How do you figure that an interest in epic poetry, classic movies, literature, etc. is a serious endevour that makes you a serious person?

Personally, I consider those things to be just as frivilous as what ever it is that ironic/quirky people are into.

I think that's the problem people have with you. You have some self-professed seriousness based on an interest in subjects that, in the grand scheme of things, are not very serious.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Philosophy not being my strong point, I've never touched Schopenhauer. Would Heiddeger(sp?) do? I didn't understand it but I'm sure I could make some bullshit up. odor I guess that's my whole problem. I think literature is serious, at the risk of becoming this stereotype:
serious.jpg
I don't think of myself as a serious person. But there are things I take seriously. Those things are the ones I listed, lit, poetry, etc. Maybe that's pretentious, I'm too young to know, honestly. I'm not a serious person, mostly.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wasn't that Woody Allen?

No. There was a character in the movie that was an actor.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
odor

I guess that's my whole problem. I think literature is serious, at the risk of becoming this stereotype:

[photo deleted]

I don't think of myself as a serious person. But there are things I take seriously. Those things are the ones I listed, lit, poetry, etc. Maybe that's pretentious, I'm too young to know, honestly.

I'm not a serious person, mostly.

I guess for a college student that might be serious, but dude, there's a lot more serious things out there. Believe me, I know - I'm a personal injury/products liability defense lawyer and I deal with things that are very serious all day long (that's kind of why I come here, to get away from the seriousness of my daily life). When you hear about a 25 year old guy that fell to his death while working on a construction sight leaving behind a wife and two kids - all of a sudden, War and Peace seems a lot less serious.

I guess my point is that people who deal with very serious things in their life might have a negative reaction to a college student that talks about how serious epic poetry and classic movies are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads