• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Anyone Else Sick to Death of Irony/Quirk???

tundrafour

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I went to a Mariners game a few months ago and were seated directly behind four tattooed, ironic-facial-haired, ultra-skin-tight-jeansed, unwashed-haired Seattle 20-something hipsters. The seats were rather expensive so I was surprised to see that they didn't seem to care about the game whatsoever. Instead, they hysterically giggled and made fun of both the players and the crowd as they ironically ate peanuts, drank overpriced Budweiser, and occasionally pulled out a mitt they had apparently ironically brought along to ironically catch a foul ball should one come their way.

I don't think hipster irony/quirk bothers me as much as it does you (although I do loathe the facial hair), but, come on, paying $50+ a ticket to make fun of baseball? Baseball is such an inherently earnest, unpretentious activity. I found it quite unnecessary and obnoxious.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
I'm pretty tired of hipster guys with their half-assed mustaches. I do think hipster girls are hot hot HOT, and they're always found with weasel men with low self-confidence in Seattle, which makes my job easier.

I got kicked in the shins for my (COMPLETELY UNIRONIC) mustache once, by a guy with worse facial hair.

Romeo and Juliet is the best Dire Straits song.

I agree...

Originally Posted by JBZ
I have no beef with you either. I think what set me off was your comment that the people who took the time to make a post in this thread and who happened not to agree with you don't know what they're talking about. You seem to fancy yourself an intellectual, and perhaps you are. However, there are generally some pretty smart people on SF, some of whom have posted in this thread. Just because they don't agree with you in and of itself doesn't make them wrong.

I was mostly referring to the two new dudes with the sub-100 post counts. I do fancy myself an intellectual, FWIW.

Originally Posted by tundrafour
My girlfriend and I went to a Mariners game a few months ago and were seated directly behind four tattooed, ironic-facial-haired, ultra-skin-tight-jeansed, unwashed-haired Seattle 20-something hipsters. The seats were rather expensive so I was surprised to see that they didn't seem to care about the game whatsoever. Instead, they hysterically giggled and made fun of both the players and the crowd as they ironically ate peanuts, drank overpriced Budweiser, and occasionally pulled out a mitt they had apparently ironically brought along to ironically catch a foul ball should one come their way.

I don't think hipster irony/quirk bothers me as much as it does you (although I do loathe the facial hair), but, come on, paying $50+ a ticket to make fun of baseball? Baseball is such an inherently earnest, unpretentious activity. I found it quite unnecessary and obnoxious.

That's weird, but also kind of a funny story.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think it's worth pointing out that 90% of people would identify everyone who posts in SW&D as a hipster. It's just the most convenient term. So let's nobody get too high and mighty about not being a hipster.

It's like hardcore or screamo fans. They don't consider themselves emo, and properly speaking they aren't, but for all intents and purposes to the general public they are.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Please be as disaffected as you want. However, please don't try to make it seem like you've invented the concept of the angst ridden college student. I imagine you'll start referring to yourself as "a cynic" fairly shortly.

Seriously, I'm impressed that you're into epic poetry, classic literature, your photography, romance, diary writing, and a drinking habit ('cause from everything I've read, no one in college drinks anymore). I'm glad you've managed to see through the masses and rise above them, as it gives you something to look down upon (all the while claiming that you don't), which is very important during college. I also think your interest in Dire Straits songs shows that you're very down to earth.

Personally, I'm into my wife, my two children, the rest of my family, my job, my friends, and Red Sox baseball. I could care less if someone walks around with a Rollie Fingers mustache and labels himself "ironic" (or whatever). Also, I've never been a huge fan of Dire Straits, but I think Sultans of Swing is terrific (never saw much of a point in Twistin' by the Pool).

I await your inevitable come-back.

Augusto strikes me as weird blend of the actor that was dating Annie in Annie Hall and a perpetually enraged palestinian.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Augusto strikes me as weird blend of the actor that was dating Annie in Annie Hall and a perpetually enraged palestinian.

Agusto, I'm sorry, and GQGeek it pains me to give you this much credit, but I haven't seen somebody take the piss that well in a long time.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

"You know how I want to die? I want to be eaten by a pack of wild animals.

Touch my heart. With your foot."

GQGeek hits one out of the park!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is the most pathetically self indulgent thread I have ever read. You, Augosto, are what you hate.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ This thread contains some of the best putdowns I've ever seen. That alone justifies its existence.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Agusto, I'm sorry, and GQGeek it pains me to give you this much credit, but I haven't seen somebody take the piss that well in a long time.
Sorry...but what does that phrase mean? I've always wondered.
Wasn't that Woody Allen?
Originally Posted by iammatt
This is the most pathetically self indulgent thread I have ever read. You, Augosto, are what you hate.
A) Not True. And B) Not true. With all the threads about girls, shaving, shoes, and all that other **** - THIS isn't even top 100. So STFU and GBTW... Sorry. 0 points.
Originally Posted by whacked
^^ This thread contains some of the best putdowns I've ever seen. That alone justifies its existence.
Happy to help? I should probably just stop...

seanchai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour
My girlfriend and I went to a Mariners game a few months ago and were seated directly behind four tattooed, ironic-facial-haired, ultra-skin-tight-jeansed, unwashed-haired Seattle 20-something hipsters. ...

I ended up at a Hanson concert in Dublin a few years ago, and the crowd broke down like so: 50% embarrassed 20-something American study-abroad girls, 25% little Irish girls who were too young to have listened to Mmmbop when it came out, and 25% ironic Irish hipster teenagers who paid E20 to make fun of the concert all night.

Paying money like that to mock something is extremely lame.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Please be as disaffected as you want. However, please don't try to make it seem like you've invented the concept of the angst ridden college student. I imagine you'll start referring to yourself as "a cynic" fairly shortly. Seriously, I'm impressed that you're into epic poetry, classic literature, your photography, romance, diary writing, and a drinking habit ('cause from everything I've read, no one in college drinks anymore). I'm glad you've managed to see through the masses and rise above them, as it gives you something to look down upon (all the while claiming that you don't), which is very important during college. I also think your interest in Dire Straits songs shows that you're very down to earth.
Ow
boxing[1].gif
I'm not so sick of irony or quirk as I am pretentiousness. I haven't been here long but your first post reeks of that. And put away Gladiator ffs and watch Spartacus!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Gladiator is my exhibit A for the irrelevance of the Academy Awards.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
And put away Gladiator ffs and watch Spartacus!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Spartacus is good but it's way way way way way way way way way way waaaay too long.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Ow
boxing[1].gif

I'm not so sick of irony or quirk as I am pretentiousness. I haven't been here long but your first post reeks of that.
And put away Gladiator ffs and watch Spartacus!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Gladiator is my exhibit A for the irrelevance of the Academy Awards.

I'm sorry that wanting to take things seriously is pretentious to you...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eveliynfindlay