• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Does anyone else think the toebox is higher and the last less sleek than expected?

Former, maybe, latter, no.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Here is a pic of a prototype of the London Lounge balmoral boot:

TheLondonLounge1.jpg

Ive just dropped Alden an email to see if I can get in on this action!

Now I don't know a thing about this maker. Do they offer different widths or does the last dictate width as with Vass?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
They do offer widths, but be careful. Sizing is strange. I wear 11.5 D (12 D US) in most brands, but 10.5 EE in Carmina.

Fritz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Sizing is strange. I wear 11.5 D (12 D US) in most brands, but 10.5 EE in Carmina.

I have two pairs of Camina. One is a 7, the other one an 8 (no information about width on either). Both fit me very well, so yeah, be careful about sizing.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fritz
I have two pairs of Camina. One is a 7, the other one an 8 (no information about width on either). Both fit me very well, so yeah, be careful about sizing.

What is your usual US or UK size?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Michael Alden told me in an email was that: The last to be used is the Robert last in E or EE widths. The Robert is a bit more narrow than the Forrest or Rain last. The E Robert would be like a D Rain for example. I wear a 11.5D in the EG 202; and I am taking an 11E in the Robert. I wear a UK 8D in the EG 202 so I am ordering a 7.5E for the Robert last.

jjl5000

Reaction score
I wear a UK 9.5 F in EG 888 / 82. An F is a tad too wide on the 202 / 606.

I fear the EE might not be wide enough. Your thoughts?

Fritz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by william
What is your usual US or UK size?

I wear mostly UK 7.5. However, the three last pairs I bought were two UK 8s (Carmina derbys and CJ Drummond, 348 last, E width) and one UK 7 (Carmina pebble grain boots). At this point, both of those size 8 pairs are the best fitting shoes I own. The UK 7 boots are by no means too small though. If there's anything wrong with the fit, they are tad bit loose in the heel.

Unfortunately I have no idea about the lasts and widths of my Carminas, so all I can say is that they are not very consistent from last to last.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced of the steez-istic merits of the paratrooper boots for normal wear but those turned out very well.

Will people be going with a rubber sole or a double sole? I can guess Sator's answer (single) but an interested to hear what other people went with.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
I'm still not convinced of the steez-istic merits of the paratrooper boots for normal wear but those turned out very well.

When standing, the trouser legs cover the tops, and you can't tell they are boots. At least, that is true of my Shannons and my other Carmina boots.

Will people be going with a rubber sole or a double sole? I can guess Sator's answer (single) but an interested to hear what other people went with
Double with a Topy, most likely.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
When standing, the trouser legs cover the tops, and you can't tell they are boots. At least, that is true of my Shannons and my other Carmina boots.

I'm not worried about how they look standing - I imagine they look like any other shoes or at least look fine.

But I spend most of my time sitting down, especially at the office and there it would be a bit more obvious even with my love of the full break.

I'll pick up a pair of chukka boots some time next year but that's as far as I'll go... at least for now.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sitting down they are indeed obvious.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
So, is this boot order a done deal now or is there still time for others like myself to jump in? Is this strictly an LL deal or has it expanded to SF as well? Assuming it is not too late, what was the final cost established and is there any knowledge of turn around time? Where do I go to sign up?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads