• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Haha, Lawyer Loses Dry Cleaner Claim!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
This is indeed a strange one. I wonder how a dry cleaning business (with two locations I think?) would qualify for free legal aid from some organization, but assuming they did, it wouldn't surprise me if they were doing exactly what you suggest above. I mean how much discovery is needed in a missing pants case? I'm surprised the ALJ didn't get sanctioned earlier if he was showing up every week for a different motion as the reports suggest.

The dry cleaners' attorneys also set up a website earlier for people to donate to the business's defense costs. I would have thought that their commercial insurance businessowner's policy would have picked this up, but apparently not.

I assume many small business can't afford -- or at least gamble that they don't need standard CGL coverage. Also, it's possible that if they have a policy, coverage might not extend to fraud-type claims.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
40 acres and a mule.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
How much do judges make?

Probably a K&G discounted suit whose ORIGINAL retail was $1,000.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
How much do judges make?

Probably a K&G discounted suit whose ORIGINAL retail was $1,000.

I think ALJ's are on the federal GS scale, and I think they make, depending on a variety of factors, somewhere in the $90,000 - $150,000 range.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I think ALJ's are on the federal GS scale, and I think they make, depending on a variety of factors, somewhere in the $90,000 - $150,000 range.

GS definitely does not reach $150,000. It's possible that SES now does, but that would be a fairly recent development.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
GS definitely does not reach $150,000. It's possible that SES now does, but that would be a fairly recent development.

Thanks for the correction. I don't actually know if they're on GS or not, that was an assumption on my part. Not being a federal employee, I have only a loose understanding of how that stuff works. Indeed, I have only the dimmest of notions of the distinction between GS and SES. I do think, however, that with locality adjustments - at least in expensive places like LA, SF, NY -- the GS scale goes up to pretty near $150,000.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfi...suit_that.html

Pearson strikes me as a bitter person, someone who is miserable in life.
deadhorse-a.gif

satorstyle

Reaction score
I think it was noted here in the local press that it was between 96 and 100,000

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is more evident here:

**That Pearson is an asshole.

**That we need strong tort reform immediately.

I hope this family countersues him back to the Stone Age.
smile.gif

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I'm not sure what is more evident here:

**That Pearson is an asshole.

**That we need strong tort reform immediately.

I hope this family countersues him back to the Stone Age.
smile.gif

I'm not sure that "tort reform", at least as I understand it, would have made a difference here. But obviously that term can encompass many different concepts. Without completely gutting the system, it's near impossible to keep people from filing stupid lawsuits and losing -- especially in person-to-person suits (forgive the pun) like this as opposed to class actions and the like.
Even a social insurance liberal like me can get behind some form of tort reform -- but as with many things, the devil's in the details.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm not sure that "tort reform", at least as I understand it, would have made a difference here.
Well I believe adopting a "loser pays" rule has some merit. Maybe some reasonable limits on damages would be a good step as well.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Well I believe adopting a "loser pays" rule has some merit. Maybe some reasonable limits on damages would be a good step as well.

Why a "loser pays" rule is not a good idea has been discussed here and elsewhere ad nauseum. But, just to reiterate, it's a bad idea because it will discourage meritorious lawsuits as well as frivilous ones, and will result in the "little man" never getting his day in court because he is faced with the prospect of having to pay the fees for the big bad firms that are retained by defendants.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Why a "loser pays" rule is not a good idea has been discussed here and elsewhere ad nauseum. But, just to reiterate, it's a bad idea because it will discourage meritorious lawsuits as well as frivilous ones, and will result in the "little man" never getting his day in court because he is faced with the prospect of having to pay the fees for the big bad firms that are retained by defendants.

Spoken like a lawyer. This is only true, however, if you can show somehow (I'm not sure how one _could_ show it, but...) that the number of meritorious claims discouraged were somehow greater in either number or social utility than the number of frivolous claims currently encouraged by the present system.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads