• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Borgioli, Vass or Yanko Dress Shoes Available in Houston?

Jerry52

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking of a trip to Houston and would like to try on Borgioli, Vass or Yanko men's leather lace-ups. I wonder if they are represented in Houston? Thanks.

Jerry52

Reaction score
OK, this must mean I'm in trouble, because I'm answering myself, LOL!

Apparently your thundering silence means none of you know of a Borgioli, Vass or Yanko dress shoe shop in Houston?

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i dont think vass is carried in texas anywhere. only in nyc and skyvalet, but even they discontinued selling vass. i dont think you can get vass in the US, you have to order from europe

Thanks diorshoe. I figured of the three I mentioned, Yanko would be the toughest find. To my knowledge only SkyValet carries them, but I was hoping I was wrong.
I figured Borgioli to be the "easiest" of the three, but even in that case I'm only aware of two dealers, both in the Eastern US. Again I was hoping for one in Houston. Or somewhere in the midwest/west/south.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
you may also want to contact Harrydog for Borgioli on how to order them and how they size/fit, as he is the resident Borgioli expert here.

also RIDER, as he used to deal in Borgioli

most of these speciality shoes like the above mentioned and JL, vass, kiton and so forth are usually sought through phone/internet orders , as i know most will agree here.

good luck with getting a borgioli shoe, they are one of the best blake contruction italian shoes around

Jerry52

Reaction score
Thanks for the added info and good wishes. Yes Dan Ryder is definitely one of the great guys here and has already been helpful to me. "Harrydog" is definitely new to me and I'll pursue contacting him as time allows. Thanks for the resource.

You are correct I'm sure- unless someone can travel overseas, most of the more "exotic" brands can only be done by mail order, so it's useful to post our questions to others on here, because absolutely some of the brands fit more narrowly than others. My feet tend to need "at least" medium shoes, and evidently I have to rule out most of the British brands (and many Italian ones) because they tend narrow.

Also, I want to spend below $400 and that limits my selection a bit.

Thanks again diorshoe!

Jerry

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes Dan Ryder is definitely one of the great guys here
Wait a minute....after all these years, this is the best I rate? Dan Ryder??

Just kidding. Actually, Borgioli hired an American agent last season so you might very well start to see the line in more shops here in the Fall. The guy they hired was the guy who had the Banfi line when they were in their hayday, so check the old line places, as that's usually the first an older rep will call on - means I would call Avventura in Houston.

Oh, and I would expect that they are closer to $500 on average now.....$395 was a few years ago - when the dollar was worth something.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
you may also want to contact Harrydog for Borgioli on how to order them and how they size/fit, as he is the resident Borgioli expert here.

also RIDER, as he used to deal in Borgioli

most of these speciality shoes like the above mentioned and JL, vass, kiton and so forth are usually sought through phone/internet orders , as i know most will agree here.

good luck with getting a borgioli shoe, they are one of the best blake contruction italian shoes around

You do me far too much credit. I have purchased a number of Borgioli, but am hardly an expert!

I, too, have been frustrated at the difficulty finding them. Perhaps their new rep will get them more readily available. Robert's, a store in Westport, CT., has said he is going to try and schedule a trunk show. That would be great.

Gentlemen's Jodhpur carries Borgioli, but most of their styles are made up specifically for them. I like what I have seen on the Borgioli catalog or on their website. G J says they can't get those. Not sure why.

I have liked the collection at Francos better. In terms of sizing, I wear a 10.5 D in Allen Edmonds or Alden. I go with a 10 in Borgioli. Their price has crept up towards the 500.00 mark. Still a good deal compared to Santoni Classic line.

Francos has some styles below $400.00. A very good deal.

38435.jpg

I have this in black. I like the double barred lacing.

soileauj

Reaction score
I placed an order for Vass shoes with Gabor in NY. He can be reached at [email protected]. He was very responsive and sent a shoe for sizing as well.
He did send me a pdf of the catalog but the file is to large to attach. If anyone would like to see it, pm me with your email address and I'll forward it on. Lead time to receive the shoes is 10-12 weeks so that puts mine getting here late August or early September.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soileauj
I placed an order for Vass shoes with Gabor in NY. He can be reached at [email protected]. He was very responsive and sent a shoe for sizing as well.
He did send me a pdf of the catalog but the file is to large to attach. If anyone would like to see it, pm me with your email address and I'll forward it on. Lead time to receive the shoes is 10-12 weeks so that puts mine getting here late August or early September.

If you don't mind posting, what is Gabor charging for Vass special orders, and does it include trees?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jerry52

Reaction score
Dan, I apologize for getting your last name's spelling incorrect. I hope I have your first name correct for that matter??? I'm taking this from (faulty) memory. Anyway thanks again for the help you've given me in the past through informative emails; I will continue to consider the Borgiolis, especially if my patience can score me a pair at $400 or less. As to the dollar once being worth something, oh I do remember that!

Jerry52

Reaction score
Harrydog thanks for posting and giving the added info on the new Borgioli rep and a couple of possible retail outlets for them. The shoe you pictured was very nice, but in my case I'm looking for the derby/oxford type. My goal is a dressy shoe, nice leather, built like a tank (at least as well as Alden or Allen Edmonds) but supportive and comfortable for my "flat" feet. I'm not located near a major city and don't get to travel often, but am hoping to hit "paydirt" in Houston if I make the trip. I already intend to look up Harold's in the Heights, Mr. Rider suggested avventura and there may be another upscale shoe store there. If nothing else, Nordstrom!

Jerry52

Reaction score
Soileaju, Thanks for the added source info on Vass. I hear they are one of the very best but also suspect they will exceed my $400 target by quite a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads