• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK to machine wash linen pants?

ENT

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of 100% linen Etro pants. They're an inch or so big in the waist and unfinished at the hems. I'll need to get them altered but want to eliminate any shrinkage prior to that. The instructions say dry clean only but I was wondering if it would be OK to machine wash them on a gentle cycle prior to alterations. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Leslierc

Reaction score
I have a pair of Zegna linen/cotton blended khakis that I put in the washing machine, but I have never (nor ever would) put my 100% linen pants in the wash.

Granted, some linens handle washing very well. But some do not. I had a very unfortunate experience with an Armani linen shirt that my wife washed (even though the tag gave instructions to "dry clean only." In this connection, it strikes me that you also must consider whether washing might disrupt the color of your linen trousers.

Bottom line, your call.

ENT

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm still on the fence. I guess it'll be one of those split-second decisions the next time I need to do laundry.

olemungu

Reaction score
Some lines are machine washable and the tag should indicate if its so. However, I will never machine wash linen due to unpredictable and uneven shrinkage. I don't think its worth the risk.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Probably not wise to wash them. I've washed some 100% cotton pants and those were enough of a pain to get dry and iron out well. I can't imagine with linen. Unless they are very casual, I'd say no.

pejsek

Reaction score
Linen washes very well, I think. immsmc, it's one of the few natural fibers that is stronger wet than dry. I recently washed a 100% linen Isaia suit and was very pleased with the results. This was an old thrift find that had developed the familiar sad dry cleaning patina. I put it in the delicate cycle of our Maytag Neptune and then hung it to dry outside--jacket on a hanger to keep the shape. It seems much perkier and easy-going now freed from the ghastly build-up of dry cleaning fluid. And I've been wearing it quite a bit.
It seems to me instructions to dry clean only are often meant to steer people away from simply throwing their clothes in the washing machine and then the dryer. Unless there's some sort of elaborate construction (and in this respect I was lucky with the Isaia because it has very minimal padding and canvas) or a concern about color I wouldn't worry too much about the occasional careful wash. Just don't even consider using the dryer!

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I wash all my linen garments except for the pants that have a constructed waist band like dress pants. This is the determining factor! If the waist band is a sport waist band (constructed out the same material as the pant with a soft lining) these should launder well. My recommendation is to straighten out the fabric when you remove the from the washer and put them on a clip dress hanger to dry hanging from the waist band. You shouldn't have any problems if you follow this proceedure. Remember, if these pants have never been washed, which some are today to give them an experienced look, you will realize a slight fading to the material. Bur Pejsek stated, linen feels so much better when washed and continues to get better wash after wash.

Gary

ENT

Reaction score
Thanks for the rcontinued responses. Gary, these pants do have the "dress pants" waistband. Have you had a bad experience or are you "theoretically" worried that the waistband wouldn't look right afterwards?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ENT
I just bought a pair of 100% linen Etro pants. They're an inch or so big in the waist and unfinished at the hems. I'll need to get them altered but want to eliminate any shrinkage prior to that. The instructions say dry clean only but I was wondering if it would be OK to machine wash them on a gentle cycle prior to alterations. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
If you're inclined to wash them, maybe try hand-washing instead of using the machine's agitator?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aieeee. Absolutely not. It won't hurt the fabric, but it's liable to cause some shrinkage.

I once washed a pair of zegna cotton pants thinking, "hey no biggie, they're cotton, right?" Fluctuations in water temp beyone my control cause them to shrink just enough that they became un-wearable because I had no cuff work work with and they had already been shortened.

ENT

Reaction score
To be honest, I wouldn't mind some shrinkage as they're an inch big in the waist and need to be shortened at least 6-7 inches (they're brand new with unfinished hems). I really like how washed linen feels and would like to wash them. If only the label didn't say "Dry Clean Only."

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've washed white Zanella linen dress pants to get rid of some nasty stains, at 40°C, 1000RPM rinse. I've ironed the legs (creased them) as soon as they got out of the washing machine and hung them dry. They were dry a few hours later and I resumed the ironing (seat, pockets...etc): they have been perfectly wearable without any damage or shrinkage.
OTOH, cotton pants can be a lot bitchier to iron.

!luc

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member