• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

easy cooking (for college)

itskub

Reaction score
ello. im 20, finally going up to nyc to start college, and just wanted to get some recipes / ideas together.

one thing i like to make: boil a 1/2 of peas and carrots, and 1 or 2 hotdogs. chop up the hotdogs and mix them into an omelete batter and cook.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some ideas for a inexpensive dishes that will leave you with good leftovers:

Basic roasted chicken--coat the bird with cracked pepper and paprika, then roast at 400 until done (75-90 mins for a 4 lb bird). Cooking cut up pieces take a little less time. If you're in the mood, throw some 1" chunks of potato and onion in the roasting pan and spray them with olive oil.

Chili--there are lots of recipes on-line for chili with beef or ground turkey

Lasagna w/ ricotta, mozzarella, and spinach; you could also add cooked ground beef or sausage, but it's not necessary. A good shortcut to know is that you don't need to precook the pasta sheets. Just spray a pan with olive oil, then layer up the pasta, cheese, sauce, cooked veggies, and back at 350 until the whole thing bubbles.

migo

Reaction score
been doing this a couple of years...basically, just go to the supermarket/costco and buy whatever type of meat you like and grill it with whatever type of marinade you like...(get a grill pan). Not too difficult, and you don't end up eating pasta everyday (though that is the easiest thing)

p.trick

Reaction score
Speaking of pasta, I hear that there are ramen cookbooks out there (though I haven't looked through them myself). Might be worth checking out.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a slow cooker, and either search the internet for recipes, or pick up the Company's Coming cookbook on slow cooking.

WSW

Reaction score
Rice and beans are your friends. Just put a cup of rice, 1/4 of beans, some strips of chicken into a pot and you're good to go.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
I find it's best to stick to non-perishables, since getting to the store may be tough, and schedules can be variable, leading to spoilage.

There's a book called A Man, A Can, and A Plan: http://www.amazon.com/Man-Can-Plan-G.../dp/1579546072

It shows you how to make meals using mostly canned ingredients.
Canned vegetables can be gross, but substitute frozen, and you'll be alright.

Chadley

Reaction score
For a snack, I love peanut butter, banana and granola sandwiches. They fill you up, are relatively cheap, and are a good break from peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As soon as I went to college I basically stopped eating vegetables. Not that I ate tons before, but my diet was basically processed meats, tons of carbs (pasta, ramen, rice, cereal), and alcohol. Not good. Then my roommate got a recipe for minestrone and we started making a huge batch once a week using lots of vegetables and canned beans. We froze a couple of servings from each batch and basically had healthy, yummy soup available for a whole week. Changed up the vegetables and beans every week to keep it interesting.

To be honest, OP, your original recipe doesn't sound too appetizing. Pick up a decent used cookbook on amazon and you'll be in good shape. There's tons that are aimed at college students for around 10 bucks.

gracian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WesternBlot
It was my staple food in college. (And it still is, although I've started adding mushrooms now.)

Yes, the variations never end. Add mushrooms, peppers, meatballs, etc, either separately or together.

Pim

Reaction score
For four:

600gr sliced chicken,
200ml Red pesto,
100ml cream
Wild mushrooms and/or some veggies you like
Rice or pasta.

Takes like 10 minutes and tastes pretty good
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads