• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Ok, probably the stupidest 5EP question ever: Are you supposed to cut off those red threads that hang off the back patch?
Neg. Godmother said they've got some special significance which i totally can't remember at the moment.

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
I need a pair of slim white sneakers. Context has a pair of Creative Recreation Cesario Los in my size for 60 bucks... should I go for it?

offline100

Reaction score
Egg yolk from a breakfast sandwich just squirted onto my new APC NSes. @)(#*#@!!! I wasn't planning on washing them for a while. What should I do - soak them? dry clean them? FWIW, I don't care about shrinkage or whiskering, I just want the denim to stay as dark as possible.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by offline100
Egg yolk from a breakfast sandwich just squirted onto my new APC NSes. @)(#*#@!!! I wasn't planning on washing them for a while. What should I do - soak them? dry clean them? FWIW, I don't care about shrinkage or whiskering, I just want the denim to stay as dark as possible.

Just wash them with water... it won't make them less dark really, APCs are reasonably color fast anyways.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamm23
Hey I just picked up this Zodiac watch for pretty cheap but i think it may be too big (42.50 mm), what do you guys think?

Looks fine. ~42mm is the most common wristwatch size anyway, for anything smaller than that vintage is your best bet.

Don't wear it with suits though.

andimq

Reaction score
Hi, hopefully I understood this post correctly
wink.gif
. Quick question: Is there any way of combining a brown belt in a casual outfit with non-brown shoes? Maybe with white shorts and white shoes or something? Good night from Ger andimq

oats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Size 28 New Standards fit me almost perfectly right away, and I took a 30 in the 005s. After a long hot soak they were tight (in the thighs, not really much in the waist), and they shortly stretched out to become comfortable. I'd suggest basing the sizing on the thigh measurements, not the waist measurements. BiG has great sizing charts, I'd check those.

Thanks for the info Sauce -- I took a closer look at the thigh measurements posted on the BiG site, and the pbj xx-005 in 31 read as 11.75"

Am I right to assume that's measuring once across the front with the jeans lying flat? (that is: this is NOT a doubled value, right?)
That would be pretty ridiculous if it was a doubled value.

The reason I ask is because the measurement guide suggests otherwise:

"Measuring the upper thigh

Step 1: Lay the jean out flat.
Step 2: Measure straight from the crotch to the outside of the leg parallel to the waistband.
Step 3: Double this measurement.

This is how we measure our jeans at Blue in Green. All the measurements on our website are derived using this method."
which suggests that the measurement across the front is 5.875"

It seems like the measurement guide must be incorrect (how could it not be?), but I just wanted to ask and be absolutely sure before I buy these.

@chronoaug thanks for the pbj xx-005 measurements and advice -- I'm going to get the 31s

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oats
Thanks for the info Sauce -- I took a closer look at the thigh measurements posted on the BiG site, and the pbj xx-005 in 31 read as 11.75"

Am I right to assume that's measuring once across the front with the jeans lying flat? (that is: this is NOT a doubled value, right?)
That would be pretty ridiculous if it was a doubled value.

LOL, yeah... I'm skinny, but I'm not that skinny. That's the non-doubled value. Unless those are one-wash measurements, by the way, they will be a bit smaller after you soak or wash them. They do shrink up a bit in the thighs (though they also stretch if you need them to).

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I agree, the thighs have stretched out nicely, although the top block is still very snug on me. It's my fault for gaining 5lbs, but they'll probably stretch more and be more comfortable when i lose that weight. Don't forget people, you can always gain weight to hasten the stretching process.

Servo2000

Reaction score
Don't post over here on the other SF (I'm the Superfashion Mod over at Superfuture, come by and chat sometime) all that much, but you fellows seem to have something of a more thriving community when it comes to suits, so a quick question since I guess this is a slightly street-ier brand:

I recently picked up an April 77 suit, and since I wasn't able to try on the jacket since I bought it online, the whole thing feels about a size to big. It feels like a 48-50 when I'm more of a 46-48. Will a tailor be able to re-structure my jacket? Secondly, do you think he'll be able to do it before next thursday (so about 11-12 days)?

I'd take this to the other forum (the one actually about this sort of thing) but I don't know what their views are on this sort of thing. First time I've had to tailor a jacket so much, and something of a noob to suits in general.

If there's a more relevant thread, feel free to point me to it.

Thanks, fellows.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Servo2000
Don't post over here on the other SF (I'm the Superfashion Mod over at Superfuture, come by and chat sometime) all that much, but you fellows seem to have something of a more thriving community when it comes to suits, so a quick question since I guess this is a slightly street-ier brand:

I recently picked up an April 77 suit, and since I wasn't able to try on the jacket since I bought it online, the whole thing feels about a size to big. It feels like a 48-50 when I'm more of a 46-48. Will a tailor be able to re-structure my jacket? Secondly, do you think he'll be able to do it before next thursday (so about 11-12 days)?

I'd take this to the other forum (the one actually about this sort of thing) but I don't know what their views are on this sort of thing. First time I've had to tailor a jacket so much, and something of a noob to suits in general.

If there's a more relevant thread, feel free to point me to it.

Thanks, fellows.

the men's clothing forum would probably be better for this answer. but i think recutting a suit is a bit much. I'm sure they'll be able to do it, it's all dependent if you want to pay for them to have it done. post over in the other one though, they'll all about suits

Servo2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
the men's clothing forum would probably be better for this answer. but i think recutting a suit is a bit much. I'm sure they'll be able to do it, it's all dependent if you want to pay for them to have it done. post over in the other one though, they'll all about suits

I figured. Thanks, Poly.

Borky

Reaction score
I'm about to buy some white canvas G1 Spring Courts. I need help on sizing. I'm a 12 in leather Jack Purcells and Vans Originals. What should I got I go with in UK? Oipolloi has them up to UK 11.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are PF Flyers sized compared to, say, nike dunks?
Unfortunatly theres no stores that has them here in town..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads