• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing Lacoste?

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by avatar
That subculture is across the Atlantic.

I spend time here & there.

And we're getting way off-topic here, but we certainly have our equivalents here in the US, we just haven't been as clever in naming them.

But I get your point, there aren't nova-check cap wearing hoodlums running rampant across the US tarnishing the Burberry brand. Which is good for me, since I like their polos.
wink.gif

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
sergio tacchini

Affordable and good fit, but I've been a little disappointed by quality. Somehow they don't feel as good as competition, some of which has been already mentioned. Not bad, however.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward fred perry if they do a nice italian line, or John Varvatos now. We did burberry awhile ago and had good success with it. The other buyer doesn't like it and won't be convinved it would be a good buy. I know several other stores who have dropped lacoste for burberry now.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
I spend time here & there.

And we're getting way off-topic here, but we certainly have our equivalents here in the US, we just haven't been as clever in naming them.

But I get your point, there aren't nova-check cap wearing hoodlums running rampant across the US tarnishing the Burberry brand. Which is good for me, since I like their polos.
wink.gif

Yeah, here it's the white trash wearing the "urban brands" like Sean John, etc. If there's any high end brand that hoodlums wear, it's BAPE.

soulstylist

Reaction score
Wasn't Tacchini more 80s casuals?

...together with the likes of Pringle, Lyle & Scott, Farahs etc.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soulstylist

Lyle & Scott are doing an interesting vintage range polo shirt at the mo'......as for quality Barbour ( strange as it may sound to some, perhaps ) does some good stuff as well.....

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soulstylist

Add Fila in there and that about nails it. I used to have a lot of such clothes, what stands out for me is how the quality has declined over the last 20 odd years.

If you like that stuff then the film The Business features a fair bit of it [film is pants though].

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429715/

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I will go against the grain here a bit. I am not a fan of FP, Burberry, and that ilk. Mesh polos by most makers are so bleh. Polo and Lacoste can get away with it because they are both classic and well enough made, however overexposed they might be. Bobby Jones, Paul and Shark, etc. have nice fabrics but the cuts are made for men who like to emulate golfers, ie baggy cuts with sleeves that come down past their elbows.

I would 2nd some other suggestions here for James Perse, Ballntyne. Polo has tons of different cuts, styles, fabrics, hard to go wrong there. RLPL is great but twice the price.

Anyone remember Britches polos, with the warthog?

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff

Anyone remember Britches polos, with the warthog?

Did Britches of Georgetowne ever expand much outside of the DC area?

soulstylist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
...Polo and Lacoste can get away with it because they are both classic and well enough made...

THE classic tennis polo is the Perry. And Mr. Perry is a classic for himself...

Local lad Frederick John Perry, was born in Stockport in 1909 but moved down South while he was still at school and fell in love with table tennis. He practiced his ping pong every night, eventually becoming world champion at the tender age of 18. He then promptly retired from the game and got busy with his latest obsession, lawn tennis.

Unfortunately his Stockport bad boy style did not go down too well with the snobbish tennis heirarchy. His habit of changing his clothes mid-game to stay looking fresh, leaping over the net at the end of each match and dating a string of actresses and models caused major problems for this working class playboy. They were especially displeased when he went on to win Wimbledon three times in a row.

After the third victory he decided to move to America and become a pro at the Beverley Hills Tennis Club, giving lessons to Charlie Chaplin, David Niven, Errol Flynn and the Marx Brothers whilst establishing himself on the Hollywood party circuit.

In the late 40s Fred was approached by Tibby Wegner, an Austrian footballer who had invented a novel anti-perspirant device worn around the wrist. Fred made a few changes and the sweatband was born.

Tibby's next idea was to produce a sports shirt which was to be made from white knitted cotton pique with short sleeves and buttons down the front. Launched at Wimbledon in 1952, the Fred Perry polo shirt was an immediate succes.

It was only available in white until the late 50s when the mods picked up on it and demanded a more varied colour palette. It was the shirt of choice for diverse groups of lads throughout the 60s and 70s, ranging from the skinheads to the Northern Soul scene and Manchester's very own "Perry Boys".

Now recognised as a classic British staple in anyone's wardrobe, we wonder if history would have been any different if they'd gone for Fred's first choice for the emblem - a pipe.
...text stolen from oipolloi.com

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
Did Britches of Georgetowne ever expand much outside of the DC area?

It was definitely here in Richmond, but not sure how much further out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads