• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing Lacoste?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lacoste has run its corse...again. Its over sold and its getting hard to compete with Macy's and the like with the mark downs. I was just wondering what people thought was a good replacement for the market for a small mens shop? I've been thinking John Varvatos or possible Michael Kors for a similar price point, and maybe even Polo. Anyone have any other thoughts of who i should look at?

Rolo

Reaction score
I really liked Jeff Rose shirts, but I don't know what they're like following the acquisition by Gitman.

I'm also a fan of the fabrics of Bobby Jones shirts, but I don't like the golfer placket tape.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bobby jones won't work for us. We compete here in rochester i with the hickey freeman outlet, so hickey or bobby jones would not be a good seller for us.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Polo, particularly because they have both the regular cut and the slim fit. They're very well made and hold up for years. Some don' t like the logo, but this probably doesn't apply to people who are pre-disposed to purchase a Lacoste. Sure, they're ubiquitous, but there's probably a reason for that.

I don't have any experience with Varvatos or Kors.

JPYPSU07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
I really liked Jeff Rose shirts, but I don't know what they're like following the acquisition by Gitman.

I'm also a fan of the fabrics of Bobby Jones shirts, but I don't like the golfer placket tape.

I have some Jeff Rose stuff from the Gitman outlet, seems to be of fairly good quality but at the end of the day what do I know.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Logos not a big deal. Its for a little younger crowd so polo and john varvatos are where we are leaning. Only problem is we carried polo years ago but got away from them because they kept putting minimum orders on what we carried and it got to much for us. Kind of what Lacoste is doing now. Not sure if its still this way.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
There's a local company here in Charlottesville, VA called Robert Redd that seem to have good quality shirts, although slightly higher retail price than Lacoste. I do like my Lacoste shirts though - I like the lighter weave than Polo and was not overly impressed with Michael Kors, whose fit seemed odd.

I have no financial interest in them selling more shirts, they are, however, acquaintances of mine.

First post, etc.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for something to appeal to younger types, Penguin is huge with the 20-30 something hipsters all over the place. I like some of their shirts, but they make them at varying levels of quality, and I hate shirts with polyester (some are 100% cotton).

Ben Sherman's popular out in LA, too.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
If you're looking for something to appeal to younger types, Penguin is huge with the 20-30 something hipsters all over the place. I like some of their shirts, but they make them at varying levels of quality, and I hate shirts with polyester (some are 100% cotton).

Ben Sherman's popular out in LA, too.

+1 on the Original Penguin (by Munsingwear) suggestion. They're not as ubiquitious as Polo, which I guess is a plus.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Penguin is already carried but a younger "Trendy" shop that does penguin, theory, seven, etc.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
If you're looking for something to appeal to younger types, Penguin is huge with the 20-30 something hipsters all over the place. I like some of their shirts, but they make them at varying levels of quality, and I hate shirts with polyester (some are 100% cotton). Ben Sherman's popular out in LA, too.
1BBK0001.jpg
The quality on the Penguin stuff is a bit shady, though I like the styles. I think I see the style shown amongst young people more than polo now. I get nervous wearing mine now because I see them so many places and they are more memorable than a plain polo due to the piping. The blonde guy in Blades of Glory was wearing this shirt in blue, which I also have. Lacoste and Polo have really nice polos. I have found Ben Sherman to be decent quality, certainly better than the penguin.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Fred Perry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads