• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can any give me input on placing a Jantzen order?

new obsession

Reaction score
I got some shirts from Jantzen when I was in HK last year, and I want to re-order. I would like to have them base the new shirts off the ones I had made there, with some tweaks for fit issues. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Do they base repeat orders based on your name, or is there some kind of customer number I am missing?

I have no faith in my ability to measure properly, so I would rather not start from scratch. Would I be best served by sending them a shirt to copy and telling them where to make changes (I have a few made by more expensive makers that I am happy with)?

I am also going to try and see if he will make me another suit without my being there, I had one made last time that has stood up well.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ricky should have your measurements on file, so I'd think you could just submit the changes you'd like. Assuming you're pretty happy with the Jantzens you received, that's probably a better starting point than asking them to copy a shirt. The copy rarely proves exact, and you'd be starting a whole new process.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Ricky should have your measurements on file, so I'd think you could just submit the changes you'd like. Assuming you're pretty happy with the Jantzens you received, that's probably a better starting point than asking them to copy a shirt. The copy rarely proves exact, and you'd be starting a whole new process.

Which was what I thought, but on the order form it asks for a reference number for a repeat customer. I don't have a reference number. I went to the shop, got measured, paid, came back and had them tweak for fit, and came back and picked them up, no reference number. Can I just put in my name and note the repeat customer status?

Also, he has 3 options for repeats, same style and measure, same measure different style, and same style different measure. I want to change the style and tweak the measurements. Do you just tell him what changes you want and leave everything else blank?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
Which was what I thought, but on the order form it asks for a reference number for a repeat customer. I don't have a reference number. I went to the shop, got measured, paid, came back and had them tweak for fit, and came back and picked them up, no reference number. Can I just put in my name and note the repeat customer status?

Also, he has 3 options for repeats, same style and measure, same measure different style, and same style different measure. I want to change the style and tweak the measurements. Do you just tell him what changes you want and leave everything else blank?

I've gotten a customer number only once and immediately lost it. I don't think it's that big a deal. I could be wrong, but surely he has a way to look it up.

As for making changes, I just note what I want in the comments section of the form. Haven't had a problem so far. For you, maybe "same measure different style"? Or just don't click one?

bobbers

Reaction score
When I placed an order in his shop earlier this year, I got measured, paid, and then he gave me a receipt/claim check with a number in red on it. He (I think it was Ricky) said to use this number for reference when placing orders from the Internet. Also, this reference number was written on a sticker on the bag when I picked up my shirts.

mbc

Reaction score
Whenever I send emails to Jantzen, the replies always have a line in them which says "REF: " followed by my customer reference number. The number is always the same.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobbers
When I placed an order in his shop earlier this year, I got measured, paid, and then he gave me a receipt/claim check with a number in red on it. He (I think it was Ricky) said to use this number for reference when placing orders from the Internet. Also, this reference number was written on a sticker on the bag when I picked up my shirts.

Yeah, if I had that receipt it might work for me. I didn't pick my stuff up from Ricky, it was the other guy, so maybe something was missed or forgotten.

Whenever I send emails to Jantzen, the replies always have a line in them which says "REF: " followed by my customer reference number. The number is always the same.
That might be the case if I ever get responses to e-mails I send (albiet with questions not orders).

new obsession

Reaction score
I've gotten a customer number only once and immediately lost it. I don't think it's that big a deal. I could be wrong, but surely he has a way to look it up.

So, presuming you order, you just do it by name, and note that you are a returning customer?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
So, presuming you order, you just do it by name, and note that you are a returning customer?

I think that should be fine. You could also email Ricky asking for confirmation that he'd received the order and was able to match it up with your prior measurements. No way of telling whether you'll actually get a response, but if you do he'll likely put the reference number in the email

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I think that should be fine. You could also email Ricky asking for confirmation that he'd received the order and was able to match it up with your prior measurements. No way of telling whether you'll actually get a response, but if you do he'll likely put the reference number in the email

I think that is probably the way to go. I just sent him another e-mail about it, also to ask if he can do another suit for me through a distance order (but I doubt he will given the difficulties that come from shirt orders alone). Worst case, I can always just call to follow up. - International phone cards rule!

prozach1576

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether or not calling Jantzen to ask about my orders is reason enough to have add international calling to my phone.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prozach1576
I'm trying to decide whether or not calling Jantzen to ask about my orders is reason enough to have add international calling to my phone.

Reason enough to get a cheap calling card...

new obsession

Reaction score
How often have you had to call? I'm on my fourth order and haven't needed to call once.

Yeah, but you're doc holliday, and I'm sure Ricky doesn't want to mess with a 'lung-er' who packs a six shooter!!
wink.gif

mbc

Reaction score
How often have you had to call? I'm on my fourth order and haven't needed to call once.
Ditto. My normal MO is that I place the order, mark myself as a returning customer, but I also include all the measurements, special requests, etc again just in case. Then I email two or three weeks after placing the order to confirm its receipt, and I almost always receive a reply to that. I don't think it's taken more than 2 months to receive any order, and I am on my sixth order (which I just saw the credit card charge for a couple days ago, so hopefully it should be here soon).

Not that I am discounting any of the problems the rest of you have (absence of evidence not being evidence of absence and all that) but it always goes relatively smooth for me.

Although I probably shouldn't be saying that, as I would honestly prefer the rest of you not placing orders as not to distract Ricky from mine
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads